Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe our politically correct society will get some common sense and decide that multiple deaths every year in boxing is actually more "savage" than MMA. I'm still trying to figure out why the "sweet science" gets a pass on that...it makes no sense.
    because boxing has a huge following. Fans always give their sports a pass. The mere fact that MMA still has a perception problem proves it still has a way to go.

The Michael Vick dog fighting incident didn't do MMA any favors (salt).

You are right though...10-20 yrs from now will tell the story. And IN MY OPINION mma will be huge. There will be a whole new generation of kids doing BJJ, wrestling, muy tai, etc from an early age for years to come...
    a wet dream. Just hope for something equivilant to X games.

1 to 20? That's some hater BS right there...unless the boxing ratio is 1:100???
    1 to 20 very easily. I can't watch a entire bodog card without falling to sleep. The IFL is unwatchable. Even some of the UFC is crap. However, I like the sport, but I just don't jerk off to it. My so called "hate" is just in response to people who try to talk down one sport or team to build up their own sport or team, the MO of a Mavs fan.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    because boxing has a huge following. Fans always give their sports a pass. The mere fact that MMA still has a perception problem proves it still has a way to go. .
    True. Your not wrong but boxing has a huge problem right now with new fans. Its simply not growing so much.

Just hope for something equivilant to X games..
    Nonsense. It has far surpassed that. Just because its on ESPN doesn't mean anything. ESPN carried the sports hammer about a decade ago but they are by no means any indication of what sports are anymore.

Where are they on their "Who's Hot" list...........

They are turning into the sports version of MTV.

What MMA has done in such a short amount of time is astounding.

The IFL is unwatchable...
    It has gotten better but that IFL show isn't so much about fighting believe it or not. Its sort of a sports do entry of current fighters. But they are moving towards just MMA now. Give them another shot.

Even some of the UFC is crap
    By its definition every "something" can't always be at its peak.

talk down one sport or team to build up their own sport or team
    I am not trying to do this. I keep saying in this and other threads on this subject, I like both sports. Boxing was my first sport I loved but it has huge problems that boxing fans are in denial about. I think if more fans woke up they could revive this things. I don't know why people are so unwilling to admit the faults of some sport the like. I don't think the problems with boxing are unfixable but its getting harder and harder as time goes by and more potential fans find other sports to follow.

In defense of MMA fans, at least MMA fans widely recognize every crack in the armor and clamor for the powers to be to fix them. Just look at every MMA forum and you see more fans complaining that cheering.
    Last edited by Evan; 08-07-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I guess you realized you were wrong about when I came here?

because boxing has a huge following. Fans always give their sports a pass. The mere fact that MMA still has a perception problem proves it still has a way to go.
    I'm not talking about existing boxing fans. I'm talking about non-fans just taking notice and media types. There is no media coverage or public outcry when there is a boxing death for some reason...

The Michael Vick dog fighting incident didn't do MMA any favors (salt)
    Maybe you can explain to me all the ways that dog fighting is similar to MMA??? I'm curious to know how a felony in 48 states can be so similar to a sport that's sanctioned by the same commision that overseas boxing?? Interesting.

I'll help you get started...

1. They fight in a "cage"...oh wait, it could be a plywood box, or a bedroom, or a RING of some kind. Maybe this similarity applies to boxing too?? (salt)
    2. ?????

a wet dream. Just hope for something equivilant to X games.
    LOL...

X-games is more popular with today's young men than boxing is. So is MMA. Who exactly do you expect to be the boxing fans in 15 yrs??

(salt)

1 to 20 very easily. I can't watch a entire bodog card without falling to sleep. The IFL is unwatchable. Even some of the UFC is crap. However, I like the sport, but I just don't jerk off to it. My so called "hate" is just in response to people who try to talk down one sport or team to build up their own sport or team, the MO of a Mavs fan.
    Let's just look at the UFC in 2007.

There have been 89 fights...you're saying that only 4 (you did say "easily" 1:20, so I'm rounding down) have been "good" and rest were "boring as "???

Griffin - Edgar
    Griffin - Guida
    Stout - Fisher
    Crocop - Gonzaga
    Couture - Sylvia

There is 5 good ones off the top of my head...so you're wrong...as proven by math. (salt)

I won't even start in on some of the crazy Pride fights...

Bodog isn't the greatest, but the IFL has had some great fights this year. If it's unwatchable, you're just not any kind of MMA fan...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Your not wrong but boxing has a huge problem right now with new fans. Its simply not growing so much.
    The only problem is USA Boxing and the lack of Olympic Champions. The sport was built around the olympics.

as far as everything else, I'm just trying to knock Leonard back to reality. His Mavs personality limits my ability to enjoy and talk MMA on this board.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    as far as everything else, I'm just trying to knock Leonard back to reality. His Mavs personality limits my ability to enjoy and talk MMA on this board.
    LOL...look up for "back to reality"...

where do you talk MMA?? Since the "IFL is unwatchable" it must be a site with HUGE mma fans...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you realized you were wrong about when I came here?
    Mavs were up one game in the standings which is not much, but for you the "typical" mavs fan you acted like that was enough to put the spurs in the grave and catapult your team to the very top. How many times did we hear the Spurs are dead or they will never win another championship from you. You can't even count that high.

as far as the human dog fighiting
    MMA has the explaining to do, not boxing.

Griffin - Edgar
    Griffin - Guida
    Stout - Fisher
    Crocop - Gonzaga
    Couture - Sylvia
    great, I saw one of those fights. I bet the typical sports fan saw zero. Typical fan watches Ortiz vs Liddell or Liddell vs Rampage.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mavs were up one game in the standings which is not much, but for you the "typical" mavs fan you acted like that was enough to put the spurs in the grave and catapult your team to the very top. How many times did we hear the Spurs are dead or they will never win another championship from you. You can't even count that high.

MMA has the explaining to do, not boxing.

great, I saw one of those fights. I bet the typical sports fan saw zero. Typical fan watches Ortiz vs Liddell or Liddell vs Rampage.
    Nothing worth responding to...I'm stumped...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how many boxing vs. mma threads does this forum need?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    how many boxing vs. mma threads does this forum need?
    I see one other on the front page...

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol...awesome!!

It's sad that there are so many people in the world that can't see the vast differences between MMA and dog fighting...there are stupid people everywhere though...

Boxing is boxing...it's not a fight. MMA did away with all the $hit that would keep it from making it big (even though biting and eye gouging were against the rules even at UFC 1!). Personally, I think the UFC needs soccer kicks and stomps added to the existing rules, but that's just me. I don't think most of America could wrap their brain around those things...

Spoken like:

1. a true MMA-hater...
    2. a -phobe...
    3. someone that is just ignorant on the subject, which is ok...
    No I like MMA

I have gay and lesbian friends

Although I know more about boxing than MMA I'm still an avid fan of both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't want a boxing vs. MMA thing. I never mentioned MMA. Someone who took offense to calling it a fight hijacked an otherwise good thread about an even better BOXING match.

Did anyone see the BOXING match or not. Personally it was all that I love about BOXING.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It hasn't showed up on "On Demand" yet, but I think it replays Saturday. I am looking forward to checking it out.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I posted a link to download the fight on page 1...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The link is the easiest, thanks Leonard.

Its been on the other Showtime channels but it just says "championship boxing" rather than a full description.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The link is the easiest, thanks Leonard.

Its been on the other Showtime channels but it just says "championship boxing" rather than a full description.

LEONARD.

and thanks BacktoBasics....I didn't even think about that. Curious if you have Time Warner? They seem to mess up program description all the time. My DVR picks up some weird stuff from them all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seen some mess ups too. It says its on regular Showtime tonight at 10 if anyone is interested.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    i downloaded it last night but still haven't seent it yet. when i get outta work i'll watch it with a cold beer in hand.

Thread Information