My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this repeats what I heard on the radio yesterday afternoon...

DESPERATE HOOPS-WIFE

Email Archives
    Print Reprint

December 14, 2004 -- REMEMBER when the Lakers' "three-ring" circus was simply silly? Last season it became painfully sad. Well, now they've got themselves a full-blown stench. And it's getting more toxic by the aftershock.

As noted in this space last Friday, Kobe Bryant's radio rant regarding Karl Malone wasn't faintly innocent, which makes his subsequent artificial apology (on orders from team owner Jerry Buss) hysterical.

As projected, Bryant's ulterior motive for distancing himself from Malone had everything to do with his wife, Vanessa, and nothing whatsoever to do with The Mailman's pretend procrastination in re-joining the Lakers.

A day later, Bryant came clean to the Los Angeles Times by verifying a sordid tale that had circulated around the NBA over the last two weeks from Los Angeles to Miami, to Boston, to New York, and back to L.A. for a fresh supply of landfill.

Now everybody knows what was on Bryant's mind, what provoked him initially to insult Malone publicly. Now everyone knows Malone stands accused by Vanessa of hitting on her at halftime of the Nov. 23 Bucks-Lakers game. Now everyone knows why Kobe and Karl will never be friends or teammates ever again, though, damned if Buss isn't still trying to make it happen.

Exempting Buss, everyone knows the close bond that developed over the last year or so between the Malones and the Bryants has been irreparably broken. True or untrue, you can't indict someone for something so disrespectful and think Kobe and Karl can play nice together.

Clearly, neither man believes the other can be trusted anymore. Evidently at least one of them never did. Otherwise Bryant wouldn't have been so quick to believe Malone capable of making a play for his wife. And so outraged that Vanessa's gallant defender, nothing, if not a one-woman man, threatened to take out Malone in three separate phone conversations, according to sources.

Based on how supportive Malone was of Bryant throughout his indictment for rape, before accepting the worst on face value, you would think Kobe would've been a tad more tolerable of his glib remark, as inappropriate as it was. That is, unless he knows better.

Vanessa Bryant had called Kaye Malone at home to get Karl's new number so she could invite Karl, Jr., to sit with her in the second half of that Nov. 23 game. Decked out in cowboy boots and a hat to match, Malone ambled over and gave her a hug.

"Who are you hunting?" asked Vanessa, a beautiful Latino. She then repeated it.

Who could resist a smart aleck answer to such a leading question? "Little Mexican girls," Malone said, smiling devilishly.

Was Malone out of line? Depends on what they've been able to say to each other before. Depends on whether he was really hitting on her. We've all seen it before: If she took it the wrong way he could apologize; done deal. If she took it another step, hey, let's not make believe this stuff doesn't go on every day in real life . . . and the clever offer is compliments of a sensuous superstar.

Vanessa Bryant expressed no indignation. She did that after the game to her husband. By all accounts, Malone was shocked when Kobe called him in the car, repeatedly telling him he was going to "[mess] him up" if he ever went near his wife again.

Again, unless you're convinced Malone is guilty, why wouldn't he be shocked? I mean we're not talking about just another player/Laker walking up to Vanessa Bryant and taking his best, crude shot. We're talking about people who've dined, partied and hung out together.

Surely they've said some things to each other privately that outsiders couldn't get away with. Don't tell me no risqué lines were ever crossed or breached. I don't believe anybody ever got upset when double entendres were passed back and forth.

Maybe the problem here is we're trying to figure this out logically. Instead this nonsense is probably everything that's wrong with everything in pro sports — rich young people, Southern California, and anything else you care to throw into the smelly hamper.

It's insane, it's stupid and it's getting messier by the moment.

Succeeding phone calls by Bryant to the Malone home were both menacing and malicious. According to hand-me-down sources (Kaye called Shaquille O'Neal's wife and Gary Payton's wife and the word spread from there) Kobe ratted out Karl, saying he fools around on the road all time; shades of snitching on Shaq when the Eagle, Colo., police picked him up.

You know, of course, what's next: Karl will expose Kobe's theoretical dalliances all over the planet.

This just in: Kobe insists the Lakers re-sign A.C. Green.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Who are you hunting?" asked Vanessa, a beautiful Latino.
    That explains everything.

She's a guy.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to the the party Peter Vescey. You're only three days later than the rest of the nation. I've always hated this guy since he used to do the NBA pre-game shows on NBC. The guy always struck me as a gossip columnist trying to be a sportscaster. The guys on the show would give their take on a game, making actual analysis of the games and giving real insight. Then it would go over to Peter, who would invariably start with the words, "Well, my sources tell me..." followed by a worthless answer. What an ass.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vanessa is just trying to get attention. This is total BS on her part...she led him on with her line of questioning and he fell into her trap.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds to me like Kobe's eye was starting to wander again, and Vanessa needed to do something to get his attention. Setting up Karl was it.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Vanessa is a BIOTCH! She's just trying to stir things up.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, like I said last week, she's a ho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Her and Bryant, like I have said, are both, WACKO.

Kobe Bryant is a spoiled piece of trash, plain and simple.

Hes shown his ass the past few months, and hes shown that hes a spoiled, rich, womanizing piece of trash.

That being said,

SIGN KARL MALONE!!!
    lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't understand is that Karl only "hit" on Kobe's wife, it's not as if he raped her or anything like that. Personally I don't think he did "hit" on her, I believe all the troubles that Kobe has gotten himself into are because of his wife.

Thread Information