As part of NBA's Season of Giving, Duncan, Thomas, Grant, others donate to UNICEF

NBA Players Help Support the Caribbean Region Still Recovering From Devastating Hurricane Season

NEW YORK, Dec. 15 -- Eight National Basketball Association players with ties to the Caribbean have joined together to raise more than $100,000 to help UNICEF in their relief efforts in the Caribbean islands where families are still trying to recover from the devastation left by Hurricane Ivan.

The players include Etan Thomas and his Wizards teammate Peter John Ramos, Utah Jazz teammates Carlos Arroyo and Raja Bell, Los Angeles Lakers Brian Grant, Golden State Warriors Adonal Foyle and Luis Flores and San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan. Additional funds have been donated by the Washington Wizards, San Antonio Spurs and the NBA. This summer, Philadelphia 76ers center, Samuel Dalembert, raised and donated more than $40,000 to support relief efforts in Haiti, his native country.

Hurricane Ivan, the ninth tropical storm of the season, rolled into the Eastern Caribbean in September with devastating impact. Hurricane Ivan was the sixth strongest storm ever to hit the region, according to the National Hurricane Center, and is likely to be the most damaging natural disaster to affect the Caribbean since Hurricane Gilbert in 1988.

“This is something that I see as an obligation,” said Washington Wizards star, Etan Thomas. “I really didn't want to publicize it because this is not something that I am doing to get recognition. But there is a lack of awareness of exactly what happened throughout the entire Caribbean, and hopefully, my efforts will inspire others to do the same. These are my people. My great grandmother was from Grenada, and my great grandfather was from St. Croix, so I see it as my duty to help my people. I feel such a connection to my West Indian heritage, that when I heard of the hurricanes, and how 90% of the homes were destroyed, my heart literally dropped. My wife and I are both proud that we are able to help in any way possible.”

In Grenada alone, Hurricane Ivan damaged or destroyed the country's 78 schools just as the school year was set to begin for 30,000 children. UNICEF estimates that between 80-90 percent of health care centers and schools have been damaged. Children in Grenada account for more than 8,000 of the 20,000 left homeless and forced to live in shelters. In Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, tens of thousands have been forced to seek shelter after their homes were flooded or destroyed.

“We are grateful that NBA players felt strongly about the need to help children, in these remote areas, who are still trying to recover from the damage caused by Hurricane Ivan”, said Charles J. Lyons, president of the U.S. Fund for UNICEF. “Their contribution will help children regain their normal lives by providing clean water, education, health care and psycho-social counselling.”

Founded in 1946, UNICEF helps save, protect and improve the lives of children around the world through immunization, education, health care, nutrition, clean water and sanitation. UNICEF is non-partisan and its cooperation is free of discrimination. In everything it does, the most disadvantaged children and the countries in greatest need have priority. For more information, please visit www.unicefusa.org or call 1-800-4UNICEF.