Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    They said on college football live that TAMU is buying Fran out.
    Last edited by mookie2001; 11-05-2007 at 04:13 PM.

ESPN reported that there will be a buy out of around 2 million and that TAMU will not search for a new head coach until after the season is over. They said however that Tuberville will more than likely be their number 1 choice and would be willing to pay big for him.

Source says Texas A&M, Franchione discussing settlement
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 5, 2007, 2:12 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    Dennis Franchione's days as the head coach at Texas A&M appear to be numbered.

Franchione

Texas A&M is talking about buying out Franchione's contract, sources have told ESPN's Andre Ware.

Franchione has been in hot water with the university for a newsletter he was sending out to donors willing to pay $1,200 for inside information. In mid-October, Texas A&M officials admonished Franchione for his secretive, for-pay newsletter and said the embarrassing episode would be a factor in deciding whether he returns next season.

The school said it would report the results of an internal investigation to the NCAA because of possible rules violations, and Franchione was ordered to shut down his Web site, CoachFran.com. He also will receive a "letter of admonishment."

"The Aggies are embarrassed right now," athletic director Bob Byrne said in October. "This has been a very unfortunate incident we do not want to experience again."

Franchione, who came to Texas A&M from Alabama in 2003. He's 31-27 overall with the Aggies. He also coached at TCU and New Mexico.

Texas A&M is reportedly researching whether Franchione violated his contract with the income he received from the newsletter. If he is found in violation of the contract, the Aggies may not have to pay the coach anything upon firing him.

Franchione's contract pays him $2 million per season and runs through 2012. A buyout will be $141,667 per month for the remainder of the contract, or about $8 million. Ware reported Monday that Texas A&M is looking for a buyout in the $2 million range.

Ware reported that Texas A&M wants to talk to Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville for a potential vacancy. He reported that the school is working with Chuck Neinas, who runs a consulting firm specializing in hiring coaches.

Texas A&M is 6-4 this season heading into a game at Missouri on Saturday.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.

Post Count
    Adios, Mofo.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    man, i thought mizzou would pound aggy pretty good before i saw this story..

now...with an official lame duck coach, daniels may pass for 500 against that secondary.

Worst coach I've seen in a long time. Big disappointment. I felt a bad vibe when they hired that guy. Glad he is not the coach of the Aggies anymore. Bring RC back!!!!!

i wouldnt go as far to say bring back rc, but i would take him over fran def.

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Maybe we can get Paterno...

prolly could only get his statue

http://imagearchive.psu.edu/displayi...at=-1440&pos=0

Man what a dream it would be to bring Jimmy Johnson out of retirement to coach college again and have him coach A & M. I know it would never happen, but that would be awesome. He was born in Texas wasn't he?

Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Coach Franchione out at Texas A&M
    Web Posted: 11/05/2007 02:46 PM CST
    By Brent Zwerneman
    Express-News
    COLLEGE STATION Texas A&M football coach Dennis Franchione has accepted a buyout and has agreed to step down at the Aggies’ football coach, CBS Sports announced on its Web site.

It was not immediately clear if Franchione would coach the team in its final two regular-season games. The Aggies face Missouri on the road Saturday and close the regular season at home against Texas on Nov. 23.

If he steps down immediately, Kenith Pope, A&M’s assistant head coach, is expected to be named the team’s interim head coach. Pope, if named, would become the first African-American to coach a major-college football team in Texas.

The buyout agreement comes barely three weeks after Franchione was admonished by the school for his involvement in a secret booster newsletter that provided him with thousands of dollars in income he failed to report in accordance with NCAA rules.

Franchione’s newsletter operation, which was revealed in an Express-News article on Sept. 28, compounded his difficulties in trying to keep the Aggies compe ive in the Big 12. A&M has compiled a 31-25 record during his five seasons, but posted losing records in his 2003 debut season and again in 2005.

Prior to Franchione’s arrival, A&M had not recorded a losing season in 21 years.
    The Aggies stand 6-4 after losing to Okahoma 42-14 Saturday. A&M will be bowl eligible even if they lose their final two games.

Pope, a native of Galveston, played college ball at Oklahoma and worked on Franchione’s staffs at TCU and Alabama before following Franchione to A&M in 2003. He coached wide receivers his first three seasons at A&M. He was reassigned to running backs last season.

A three-year starter at cornerback for OU, Pope was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the ninth round of the 1974 draft and played briefly for the New England Patriots. He signed with the Sooners out of Galveston Ball in 1970.

Franchione was hired following the 2002 season to replace R.C. Slo , the all-time leader in A&M coaching victories. Slo , who never experienced a losing season in his 14 years as head coach, was fired after a 6-6 campaign that re-enforced the opinion of many boosters that his program was losing ground in the Big 12.

Then-A&M President Robert Gates, now the secretary of defense, fired Slo as part of an athletic department house-cleaning that earlier swept aside long-time athletic director Wally Groff.

Nebraska athletic director Bill Byrne was hired to replace Groff, and two days later the Aggies hired Franchione away from Alabama, where he had coached just two seasons. Franchione landed at Alabama after three successful seasons at TCU. He coached Southwest Texas now Texas State to winning seasons during a two-year stint in 1990-91.

Franchione’s first A&M team posted a 4-8 record, punctuated by a 77-0 loss to the Sooners. His 2004 squad rebounded to a 7-5 mark and a Cotton Bowl berth that resulted in a 38-7 loss to Tennessee.

His 2005 team collapsed after a promising 30-28 road victory over Kansas State in late October. The Aggies were beaten the following week at home by Iowa State 42-14. Ensuing losses to Texas Tech, Oklahoma and UT left A&M with a 5-6 record and out of bowl contention.

In 2006, the Aggies posted a 9-4 record, good enough for a Holiday Bowl appearance that resulted in a 45-10 loss to California. That came on the heels of what looked like a breakthrough for Franchione road a victory over the Longhorns, A&M’s first conquest of UT in seven years.

Franchione’s record against OU, UT and Tech a litmus test for many A&M fans was 2-12. His 2004 team lost to Baylor, 35-34 in overtime, the first Aggies setback to the Bears in 19 years. A&M had beaten Baylor 73-0 the year before.

The pubic disclosure of Franchione’s “VIP Connection” newsletter came the week after A&M’s first loss of the season, a 34-17 nationally televised road blowout to Miami. The newsletter, written by A&M athletic department assistant Mike McKenzie, detailed team injuries and provided often critical personnel assessments information that Franchione often withheld from the media.

More than a dozen subscribers paid $1,200 a year for the newsletter, each after signing a confidentiality agreement. Franchione said subscription revenue was used to fund his personal website.

Byrne admonished Franchione, fired McKenzie and ordered Franchione’s Web site shut down. The school’s investigation detailed three likely rules violations, the worst being Franchione’s failure to report the income from his newsletter.

Byrne said he has no prior knowledge of the newsletter.

Frantastic is gone!!!!

Man what a dream it would be to bring Jimmy Johnson out of retirement to coach college again and have him coach A & M. I know it would never happen, but that would be awesome. He was born in Texas wasn't he?
    yeah i remember hearing all the jimmy johnson rumors when rc left too, i think he had a connection with a & m because of his kids but im not sure

My Team
    Trinity Tigers
    Post Count
    Hey, A&M likes ex-Alabama coaches, Mike DuBose is available.

i think we already knew Fran was gone after this year...but it is nice to see anyway. TT could be a good fit, but i don't know....they better bring in somebody great.

Post Count
    hahahahahah

Post Count
    It's like a part of me died a little inside. I'm gonna miss that magnificent bas

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    What does the spurstalk cfb forum community say this does in regards to the rest of A&M's schedule? Does this influence the thanksgiving game in any way? Will the rivalry effect + home field advantage still hold more weight than any coaching change?

I think it benefits the horns, if only a little bit.

Post Count
    www.coachfran.com

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

My Team
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Post Count
    I'm confused.. didn't get just get the job?

?
    ?
    ?

What does the spurstalk cfb forum community say this does in regards to the rest of A&M's schedule? Does this influence the thanksgiving game in any way? Will the rivalry effect + home field advantage still hold more weight than any coaching change?

I think it benefits the horns, if only a little bit.
    A&M is beating t.u., we will not lose that game.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    Supposedly their #1 pick is Tommy TOOOOberville.

You'd have to be out of your mind to leave the SEC and go to the big XII.

Post Count
    A&M is beating t.u., we will not lose that game.

I dunno JGW, A&M has looked incredibly ty in the past 4 weeks, like incredibly ty, nowhere near as good as I (much less you) thought.....even your trojans are looking pretty feeble
    like really feeble

lol

Supposedly their #1 pick is Tommy TOOOOberville.

You'd have to be out of your mind to leave the SEC and go to the big XII.
    #3,4,5 in BCS are Big XII teams.

Post Count
    #3,4,5 in BCS are Big XII teams.
    I'm not sure he meant it that way.

It's 4,5, & 6, but you were close enough for government work. I'd be remiss in not pointing out that the correct prononciation of the first syllable of the Auburn Tigers' head coach's name is tub, as in a bath.
    Last edited by Holt's Cat; 11-05-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Thread Information