Post Count
    Cowboys sticking with Testaverde at QB
    By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
    December 22, 2004

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Bill Parcells still thinks Vinny Testaverde gives the Dallas Cowboys the best chance to win, so he's keeping the 41-year-old quarterback as his starter.

But Parcells might not stick with Testaverde throughout Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins.

Parcells said Wednesday he's told Tony Romo to be ready to take the first snaps of his two-year NFL career. While coaches always want backups to prepare as if they were starting, Parcells is taking it a step further by giving Romo ``quite a bit of additional work'' with the first team in practice this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
    ``I'm preparing two guys to play,'' Parcells said.

Left out of the equation is highly touted rookie Drew Henson. He started on Thanksgiving, primarily because Testaverde was hurt four days earlier, and was pulled at halftime. Henson was dropped to third-string last week and will spend this week working strictly with the scout team. Parcells said Henson might play the finale against the New York Giants.

At 5-9, the Cowboys have little chance to make the playoffs, so it would seem like the last two games would be a good time to start breaking in a young quarterback.

Then again, Dallas has been under .500 since the fifth game and Parcells has never seriously considered turning the offense over to Romo or Henson. That reluctance along with Wednesday's announcement could be strong indicators that someone other than Henson or Romo will be the starter going into 2005, perhaps even Testaverde.

``Vinny could very easily be our quarterback next year,'' team owner Jerry Jones said. ``We're looking very seriously at that. So this combination of things is probably what made that decision.''

Parcells already has floated the idea of Henson and-or Romo going to NFL Europe. Jones said that hasn't been decided, but did indicate the Cowboys aren't likely to add any more QB prospects this offseason. Dallas has two first-round draft picks and plenty of room available under the salary cap.

``These guys are our future,'' Jones said. ``Nothing is ever firm in this thing, but we've got two young quarterbacks that have every chance. As a matter of fact, I'm actually higher on them right now than when we came out training camp.''

While Parcells has repeatedly said Testaverde was his best option this season, even though the veteran has thrown 19 interceptions, tied for most in the NFL, and has the third-worst passer rating in the league. He has 12 interceptions and six touchdowns over the last seven games.

Still, Parcells believes Testaverde's experience makes him better prepared than Romo to handle Washington's tough defense -- at least at first. He thinks Romo could be ready after watching a few series from the sideline.

``To start him at this time, I think we'd be risking some things and I don't want to do that,'' Parcells said. ``I want him to have the opportunity to see firsthand what they're doing if I was going to use him.''

Romo made the Cowboys in training camp last season as an undrafted rookie from Division I-AA Eastern Illinois. In 30 games, he's been asked to do little more than carry a clipboard.

He was the No. 3 quarterback all last season, then was No. 2 for the first six games this season. He slipped back to third once Henson shook off the rust of three years spent playing pro baseball, only to bounce back up to second for last Sunday's game against Philadelphia.

``We've been upgrading Tony's work over the past couple of weeks with the idea we could get him in there a little bit,'' Parcells said.

Romo said he's gone to every game expecting to play. He won't change his preparation just because there's a better chance of it happening this time.

``When he calls on me, I'll be ready,'' Romo said.

Testaverde is planning to play the entire game, even though he knows he could be pulled at any time.

``He doesn't tell me what the scenarios are and I have no idea what they might be,'' Testaverde said. ``We'll all have to wait and see.''

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Washington is licking their chops.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    That reluctance along with Wednesday's announcement could be strong indicators that someone other than Henson or Romo will be the starter going into 2005, perhaps even Testaverde.

``Vinny could very easily be our quarterback next year,'' team owner Jerry Jones said. ``We're looking very seriously at that. So this combination of things is probably what made that decision.''
    Jesus ing Christ...these guys need to get a god damn clue. Vinny being the starting QB again next year? What a god damn joke. Bill Parcells is turning into the laughing stock of the NFL...along with the Cowboys.

Thread Information