Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    THanks Havoc for the in-depth explanation! Helped quite a bit! Problem is I live in Argentina. Here in Buenos Aires, someof those models are hard to find and/or expensive as . Still, I'll visit Head-Fi when their site is back on and see what they can tell me.

Thanks again bro

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I know what you're getting at, but I can't wear the Can's @ work, and I don't use headphones enough at home to make it worth it. Back when I used Vent and such, I had some better full ear's, but meh. I also was going to get some E2C's, but I have problems with canal headphones, the pressure is way too much on my ear canals.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh and finally a warning to everybody. Listening to loud music on crappy headphones is the best and fastest way to damage you hearing - you'd be surprise at the sound pressure level that headphones are capable of generating.

As with computer monitors spending a little more on headphones will do wonders for your hearing (vision in case of monitors).

Exactly my thinking, except my "spending more" has a $100-$120 limit due to budget limitations

Still, I'm pretty sure $120 should net me a very decent pair of headphones

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    THanks Havoc for the in-depth explanation! Helped quite a bit! Problem is I live in Argentina. Here in Buenos Aires, someof those models are hard to find and/or expensive as . Still, I'll visit Head-Fi when their site is back on and see what they can tell me.

Thanks again bro
    Welcome! Another benefit of the head-fi site is that you might find people who are willing to ship equipment internationally. I'll vouch for you if they need confirmation that you're not a scammer.

Sennheiser is a widely distributed brand and might be available in your area. Also, some internet websites might ship to Argentina if you look enough.

Yes yes yes!

I know what you're getting at, but I can't wear the Can's @ work, and I don't use headphones enough at home to make it worth it. Back when I used Vent and such, I had some better full ear's, but meh. I also was going to get some E2C's, but I have problems with canal headphones, the pressure is way too much on my ear canals.
    It does take some getting used to. And some people can never feel comfortable with IEMs.

May I recommend another solution? Yuin has a series of absolutely fantastic earbuds (like the type you're using). They're also relatively affordable. The Yuin PK1/2 and 3s are all garnering absolutely flawless reviews. People are comparing them favorably to high-end, over the ear Sennheisers!

They should be pretty perfect for your workplace. Just a thought. =)

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'll look into them ... though I'll probably keep the Gumy's around because they're great for working out with also - if I break them, just takes me $10 to get another pair - oh, and they don't get line noise like a lot of other earphones do.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    sennheisers sound great, but they make the cans and sizes a bit on the small side. i had to return the ones i got because they pinched my ears as well as my head. i also got these for $20 off of woot when i was debating getting the shure buds enigma posted earlier (i get them for $50 through work):

http://www.razerpro.com//index.php?o...d=36&Itemid=47

they sound great, and if they break i buy some shures or wait for another woot. they sound a lot better than the sony in ear ones i got for $50, which sound way better than the iPod earbuds, which are far too large to fit in my ear comfortably.
    Last edited by leemajors; 11-14-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Absolutely. Look into the Sennheiser range and you'll find excellent models in that price range. I'm pretty sure other brands also have a few good models for that budget.

I'll freely admit I'm spoiled when it comes to electronics because I don't have to pay for most of the stuff I use (it's either given to me because we buy/sell a lot of the pro stuff, or it's a business expense and it doesn't come out of my pocket). So I like the Bose mainly on how comfortable they are - not factoring in the price (specially since I never knew the price - we used to do a lot of Bose pro sound system installation ).

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I have Shure EC2s and I like them alot. They are right down the line with Bose except for the Bose 400% markup

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I third the Sennheiser headphones. They have the best quality for the best prices out there. I own a pair of PXC250. Their noise-cancelling ability is awesome for outside, car, or airplane uses. Although the bass is okay, the treble quality is great! Furthermore, they are very portable.

Also, I own a pair of Bose CQ2 as well for home use. They cancel out even more noise (mainly because it is around heared, compared to the on-heared of PXC250. It's bass quality however is a lot stronger. You'll get a fuller more intense sound out of Bose. However, the treble quality is better on the PXC250.

All in all, if you want good quality for good prices, pick Sennheiser. It's also a lot more portable than the Bose ones (Ex. if you want to wear them while you walk). But Bose has the advantage of better noise-canceling and fuller bass sound.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665089921 I've had these for a few months and dig them. I looked at the Bose noise cancelling headphones, and ultimately decided on these because of the fit.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Amazing you have time to listen to an iPod with how busy you are. Definitely amazing.
    I dont listen to the ipod, I feel the vibrations. Since I am deaf, it really doesnt matter what I have in my ears now does it?

I can feel vibrations and work and chew gum as well as sign at the same time. The question is can you?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    beyer dynamic DT770

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Great headphones, but a little out of his price range. Worth saving for though, from what I've read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Disclaimer: I think that 230 Euros for a pair of earbuds is way too much. Nothing that I say after this changes it.

But man are they sweet!

I just received a pair of Klipsch X-10 earphones. They are the smallest and without doubt prettiest in ear headphones I've seen. The weight is negligible and you immediately think of brands like Bang & Olufsen, where design is sometimes put ahead of ergonomics or even quality.
    But these earphones are not just pretty, the sound - the bass reproduction specifically - is amazing. I seriously need to figure out how such a small device can produce such clean, deep and powerful bass. The sound insulation is very high, which mean you can listen to classical/jazz music in noisy environment without the need to overdrive your ear drums. If you listen to loud music like rock, rap, techno exclusively, then these earphones will not sound special to you - although they are capable of handling it. Their forte comes with precise reproduction of more complex music.
    On the other hand if you like to listen to songs where the voice of the artist is the reason for its popularity, then you'll fall in love with them.
    Oh, and because of their shape and very small weight they are very comfortable to wear even for longer periods of time - although as any woman will explain to you when they are buying Christian Louboutin shoes - that's not really why you buy them.

Cry Havoc
    , have you ever tried these?

I would never have bought them, but I'm very happy to own them - does that make any sense?

And for all of you who can afford to throw this much money out the window, I would say that a new iPod touch 64GB in a nice slim leather case and these earphones will not guarantee getting laid, it will however make the probability of getting mugged by a tech savy punk much more likely.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cry Havoc and Slo-mo seem to have it covered in terms of recommendations.

To throw in my two cents, I've gone through a lot of headphones for travel and so far my favorite pair has been a set of Denon C551s. They don't go as deep as the Shures (although the Shures do have excellent passive sound reduction) so for me they were a little more comfortable and still did a decent job of blocking sound on flights. The sound quality I found was excellent for the price point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cry Havoc, have you ever tried these?

I haven't tried those yet, Slomo, but as you can see from my avatar, I have taken a step up in the audio world.

Back in December, Amazon.com had sets of Triple Fi.10 Pro's on sale for $99 a piece. These are headphones that regularly sold for $350+ online, and are $399 from Ultimate Ears direct.

I missed that sale, but I netted a pair on eBay for $140. I also picked up a FiiO E1 headphone amplifier on eBay for $25.

Let me begin by saying that I am a person who's easily amused by a lot of things, but rarely am I truly impressed by something.

That said, these UE TFP10s are absolutely brilliant. The detail and soundstage is absolutely through the roof, and exceeds anything I've ever thought possible in an IEM/canalphone. Want to hear the pedals being worked on a piano in a live recording? It's possible. Every nuance comes through. When I hear Alicia Keys singing, it's like actually hearing her voice, as opposed to a flattened reproduction. It is actually possible to hear the vibrations of a harp or violin -- I know, I know, that's what makes the noise in the first place, but that's not what I mean at all. There is a distinct difference between hearing the sound that a violin makes, and actually hearing the bow sliding along the strings, and that adds so much color and intimacy to whatever you listen to. I'd love to compare them to the Klipsch's!

Every time I put the UE's on, I marvel and smile. And as lame as it sounds, a couple of songs have almost brought me to tears listening to, because they are able to so aptly portray the emotion of a singer's voice. It's probably cliche to say this, but it's very close to having a private concert, especially live music recorded at a high bitrate.

--

I stumbled across this article lately. It's a pretty fantastic read for audiophiles.

http://gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

That's what a $65,000 speaker looks like.

The envy of nearly every knowledgeable audio gear lover on the planet. I'm guessing that's in the neighborhood of a half million dollars sitting right there.

--

I was just thinking about this thread a couple days ago, actually. Pretty humorous that you chose to bump it now.

I invite ANYONE who wants to hear their music more clearly to invest in some good headphones. The side of the box that came with my headphones says, "Listen to Your Music for the First Time". They aren't kidding.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

I will put these headphones up against any that cost $100-$200. These things are amazing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I will put these headphones up against any that cost $100-$200. These things are amazing.
    Those are Koss Porta Pro's, yes? I use the Sporta-Pros for the gym. Pretty awesome set of headphones for the price.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

That's what a $65,000 speaker looks like.

bigger and more expensive really doesn't mean better. toby speakers in ft worth opened my eyes to that. he has a room dedicated to his speakers up against thiel, nht's, definitive, martin, etc you name it. he'll let you hear whatever you want to hear and show you the spectrum printout. his beat them all and at a fraction of the price.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    bigger and more expensive really doesn't mean better.
    Totally true, but in this case, it does.

toby speakers in ft worth opened my eyes to that. he has a room dedicated to his speakers up against thiel, nht's, definitive, martin, etc you name it. he'll let you hear whatever you want to hear and show you the spectrum printout. his beat them all and at a fraction of the price.
    Spectrum printouts are nice and all, but they really don't mean anything. Anyone could design a speaker that "responds" at every frequency, but that is a far cry from being pleasant to listen to. Response != quality. Anyone who shows you a graph like that instead of telling you to use your ears to hear what sounds the best is definitely selling you something (speakers! ).

The man who owns those speakers has dedicated his life to finding the best audio components at any price. If he thinks they're the best -- I'm inclined to agree with him, as he's got more experience than almost anyone on the planet when it comes to professional audio.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    I have sampled all different kinds of headphones. I had the Bose QC2's for awhile but returned them b/c they put pressure on my ears after awhile. I had some open-air ones that made too much noise in places like my college library. Then I got some Sennheisers and I still have them. They're the best that I have seen in all three categories I care about: sound quality, value (price point) and quietness to the outside.

(because you may not want everyone at work to hear you bump your chopped Bourbons & Lacs over and over)

Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spectrum printouts are nice and all, but they really don't mean anything. Anyone could design a speaker that "responds" at every frequency, but that is a far cry from being pleasant to listen to. Response != quality. Anyone who shows you a graph like that instead of telling you to use your ears to hear what sounds the best is definitely selling you something (speakers! ).
    you obviously don't read real well.

he'll let you hear whatever you want to hear and show you the spectrum printout. his beat them all and at a fraction of the price.
    The man who owns those speakers has dedicated his life to finding the best audio components at any price. If he thinks they're the best -- I'm inclined to agree with him, as he's got more experience than almost anyone on the planet when it comes to professional audio.
    i own a personal sat/sub system of his. best money spent.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I second the Denon 700's. Listening on them right now through my iPhone and they're all I need. Great sound and they don't fall out of my ears.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    you obviously don't read real well.

i own a personal sat/sub system of his. best money spent.
    If they sound awesome to you, more power to you man.

I don't know why you need to be so defensive, though. If you think they're the best, be happy with what you got. My point was simply that spectrum graphs are not that important in the grand scheme of "good sound". I read every word you said.

Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok. I'll play along.

First of all, how could you state that the $65k monstrosity sounds good? Have you personally heard it?

Or did you read that it's supposed to sound good?

Thread Information