Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Anybody have recommendations? I'm leaning towards the Edifier H800. They're relatively cheap and judging by the reviews I've read pretty darn good.

Anybody know any other good models?

P.S. Should point out that I'm looking for noise cancelling headphones, not the iPod kind.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've had these for 2 years now:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...adphones_index

I love them, won't board a plane without them!

Haven't tested the new QC3, but they are supposed to be even more comfortable.
    Last edited by Slomo; 11-13-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Best headphones ever.....

Divorce.

Amazingly quiet surrounding.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've had these for 2 years now:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...adphones_index

I love them, won't board a plane without them!

Haven't test the new QC3, but they are supposed to be even more comfortable.
    Those look awesome! Problem is, they're about $200 over what I was intending to spend

I'm looking for something around the $100

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Best headphones ever.....

Divorce.

Amazingly quiet surrounding.
    say what?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i got these for $30 off of woot, they're great. they even disassemble into three separate pieces and have a retractable mic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    sennheiser PXC 150

or

sennheiser PXC 250 (I've seen the 250 for 99$ online)

Sennheiser is one of the best headphone manufacturer period.

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    See if you can pick up a pair of these:
    http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...pa_E2c_content

Or the updated version.

Also, check these forums for suggestions:
    http://www.goodcans.com/
    http://www.head-fi.org/

head-fi is down right now though, due to a server issue - but once it's back up, they can help also.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a pair of these Sony noise cancelling headphones, had them for awhile now...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tNumber=MDRNC6

Overall, I like them especially for the price. It's the only NC pair I've had so I can't compare them to the Bose's of the world, but they work wonders in airplanes and trains and other noisy environments where you can't hear through normal headphones.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    sennheiser PXC 150

or

My husband has the HD 515---loves them!

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    If you have an ipod, your ipod headphones work great in your pc. You get great sound quality, and you dont have to spend another dime.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Check out head-fi.org

Right now, the site is down, but it is absolutely the best audiophile site on the net that I've found.

If you want to wait to get a really good pair, head-fi should be back up tomorrow. I cannot stress this enough -- these people know as much about headphones as there is to be known. Check them out if you REALLY want a quality pair of cans. You can also buy and sell used headphones on the site.

First of all, Manumaniac, are you looking for active noise canceling or passive? Active noise canceling headphones use actual noise to block out sound. Despite what Bose may tell you, this actually results in a loss of audio quality.

Passive "noise canceling" (or sound isolation, to be more technically accurate) is divided into two distinct methods. The first is the IEM (In-Ear Monitor) which actually places the speaker into your ear canal, also known as earphones. This blocks out almost all noise and functions essentially like an earplug with a speaker. The benefit of this is that you can wear them on airplanes, loud city transits, and you hear almost nothing, at no cost to the sound quality. They also are extremely light and portable headphones and good to take anywhere, and they don't look huge or goofy in public settings.

The other kind of passive sound isolation is the closed headphone. This is the big set of so called "cans" that cover your ear and use heavier materials to deaden outside noise. The downside to this is that they are quite heavy and not nearly as portable. Some models also wear down if used in transit often.

Back to the topic, it also matters what kind of music you are listening to. Do you plan to game on these headphones? What is most important to you? Comfort, sound quality, durability?

If you have an ipod, your ipod headphones work great in your pc. You get great sound quality, and you dont have to spend another dime.
    No offense, but the iPod headphones are widely held in the audio industry to be jokes. They aren't comfortable, have little to no bass, and no soundstage. They have screechy highs and a recessed midrange. They also have NO sound isolation.

In that stead, Bose headphones are also known to be quite overrated. They do well because they have a good marketing division. They aren't horrible headphones, mind you, but their active noise canceling does not result in the best sound possible, and you are also paying for their incredible volume of advertisements when you buy their headphones. The pros at head-fi will likely echo this advice, and they have often listens to hundreds of setups and have sunk thousands of dollars into audio products. They're really nice folks though, and will give you a ton of advice at a simple request.

I myself went to them a month or so ago in search of my own set of headphones.

I finally settled on these: http://tinyurl.com/2qe9lh

They have absolutely incredible bass, a fantastic forward midrange for vocals, and they do highs pretty well too. They have a good balance of detail (being able to hear separation of instruments and the entire range), the soundstage is respectable for earbuds, and they're just an all around awesome pair of earbuds. I can barely, just barely hear the noisy Chicago elevated trains when they go by, and they generate a LOT of noise.

For $100, I would recommend the Grado SR-80 cans, if you're looking for full size, but they don't have a lot of noise canceling ability. If you can stretch your budget a bit, and want good earbuds for noisy transit, I cannot recommend the Denon's enough. They absolutely blow away any headphone or earbud I've ever used, though I haven't heard the more expensive models like the Sony Qualias or the Ultimate Ears 11 (both $1000+ models). The Denon's are shockingly good. They deliver a ton of bass, and this is from a guy who used to have twin 15" subwoofers in the trunk of my car. They also deliver sound down to 12 hz, which is 8 hz below the human range of hearing. In other words, you'll never bottom these speakers out.

The Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 earbuds also have received a high amount of praise. You can find them used at times for ~$110-130.

I think for your price range, the Alessandro MS-1s are worth a look. They're reasonably priced, they have decent sound isolation, and they sound great compared to the other models in the range. They're over the ear cans, so they might be more comfortable to you than IEMs.

But if you want a set of headphones that really blocks out a lot of noise, you're going to have to settle for IEMs unless you can afford to pay a little more. The best deal for the money right now is considered the Sennheiser HD-25 I, but it's quite a bit more expensive, in the area of $160+.

Keep in mind -- the popular choice of consumers does not make a product inherently the best quality or even the best deal for the money. If you really want over-ear headphones that have a great deal of sound iso, I recommend saving for the Sennheisers. They will be worth it in the long run, and the extra $60 you spend will pay itself off in the 5+ years you use them.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 11-13-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Check out head-fi.org

No offense, but the iPod headphones are widely held in the audio industry to be jokes. They aren't comfortable, have little to no bass, and no soundstage. They have screechy highs and a recessed midrange.
    Oh, did I mention I was stone cold deaf in both ears? Ooooops forgot that. I would try signing it to you, but you probably wouldn't understand.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh, did I mention I was stone cold deaf in both ears? Ooooops forgot that. I would try signing it to you, but you probably wouldn't understand.
    First of all, he specifically stated that he wanted headphones that block out sound. Don't get annoyed just because you're not paying attention to what the original poster specified.

Secondly, have you ever listened to ANY headphones other than the trendy white $3 pair that Apple gives you? If they're so great, why does Apple sell a higher quality pair of iPod headphones for $50?

I mean, come on. If you haven't done your homework, don't get upset at someone who actually put effort into a post.

Also, PLEASE drop by an actual audio store that sells good music equipment. Walk up to the guy there and ask him about the quality of the Apple iBuds that come standard with any iPod. See if he laughs.

I'm not saying that you have poor hearing. I just doubt you've tried any high-quality alternatives. Put on a set of even $50 headphones and listen. I bet your ears will thank you. =)

Edit: I spoke to a member of head-fi on your behalf. He stated that the ms-1s do not have much sound isolation and recommended the Equation RP-21s. I don't know much about them, but he stated they have extremely good reviews for the price range.

The Sennheiser HD-280s are also considered a great value for the money.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 11-13-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Seriously dude, I was born deaf. I can't hear a thing except feel vibrations. Why are you being so harsh?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seriously dude, I was born deaf. I can't hear a thing except feel vibrations. Why are you being so harsh?
    In that case, I'd definitely recommend the Denons or the Super.Fi's. They have a lot of bass.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    In that case, I'd definitely recommend the Denons or the Super.Fi's. They have a lot of bass.

I tried that, but usually what happens is I get the police banging on my door, and I don't hear them. Then they ring my doorbell, and my lights start flashing like crazy in my house.

I then run around the house to figure out if it is my TDD phone, or the fire alarm, or my PC from a friend IM'ing me.

By that time, the cops think I am just being an asshole, then they bust down my door and cuff me.

Since I can't speak, and they have me cuffed, I am trying to sign behind my back. Then they think I am on drugs. So when I try to use a voice it comes out sounding from what I am told a fog horn.

Then I get committed for a few days in the psyche ward. When they figure out I am just deaf...... well a week has gone by. But what a of a free high I get when it all goes down.

Pretty cool huh?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I tried that, but usually what happens is I get the police banging on my door, and I don't hear them. Then they ring my doorbell, and my lights start flashing like crazy in my house.

I then run around the house to figure out if it is my TDD phone, or the fire alarm, or my PC from a friend IM'ing me.

By that time, the cops think I am just being an asshole, then they bust down my door and cuff me.

Since I can't speak, and they have me cuffed, I am trying to sign behind my back. Then they think I am on drugs. So when I try to use a voice it comes out sounding from what I am told a fog horn.

Then I get committed for a few days in the psyche ward. When they figure out I am just deaf...... well a week has gone by. But what a of a free high I get when it all goes down.

Pretty cool huh?
    Amazing you have time to listen to an iPod with how busy you are. Definitely amazing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    I have the Bose QC3's. Love'em.

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Cry, I have these - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-G...oductDetail.do

Mostly because I can't bring myself to spend the money on those Cans ... they're nice, but not quite as compact as I'd like. If I still PC gamed and had a better laptop, I'd be all over the Grado cans. , one day I just might when I have the cash.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    sennheiser PXC 150

or

Seconded.

I've had sennheiser HD212 Pros for years and they're great.

And nice posts, Cry Havoc. I learned something.
    Last edited by RuffnReadyOzStyle; 11-14-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cry, I have these - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-G...oductDetail.do

Mostly because I can't bring myself to spend the money on those Cans ... they're nice, but not quite as compact as I'd like. If I still PC gamed and had a better laptop, I'd be all over the Grado cans. , one day I just might when I have the cash.
    Really though, it's all relative if you think about it. Do you own an iPod or an mp3 player that you spent over $150 on? Do you have over $1000 worth of music? Then why listen to it on $10 headphones? It's kind of like putting racing tires, a roll cage, and a racing suspension, drive train, and chassis in a car and then using a 100 hp 4 cylinder to drive around in.

When you consider that a good set of headphones will last you at least 3+ years, even at $120, that's only $40 per year or around $3 per month to have a huge upgrade in listening quality. And they could realistically last longer than that with proper care.

It should also noted that quality headphones with proper sound/noise isolation can actually reduce hearing loss. If you've ever sat on a plane or near a loud group of people and had to turn your headphones up to hear your music, you're actually risking damage to your ear. IEMs are great because they form a seal around your ear, and (using your ear canal as a kind of boombox) use much less volume of noise to generate the sound. Since they're so much closer to your ear, they don't need to be nearly as powerful, and the speaker does not need to travel as far to transmit the proper frequencies to your ear. So there -are- tangible health benefits to using good equipment beyond a better sound.

I'll put it to you this way: It did definitely make me take a couple of deep breaths to plunk down for the Denon's, but man, the sound is absolutely unbeatable. Everyone should give a set of high end headphones a try, if only for a few minutes or an hour! Just drop by an audio store and check out a set of high end Senn's or anything else that catches your eye. Bring your own headphones and compare. Listen for all the details a sensitive set of headphones picks up that a less well-made pair doesn't.

And nice posts, Cry Havoc. I learned something.
    Thanks. I try. I'm pretty meager in my own knowledge, but I'm learning.

For the record, the next set of headphones I plan on purchasing are the Sennheiser HD-25 I. They seem to be the best all-around set in that price range. Then maybe an amp.... mmm.... money.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 11-14-2007 at 02:35 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cry Havoc

I agree on the ipod headphones. When you buy an ipod the first thing you should do is buy a new pair of headphones and throw the originals away.

I'm a huge Sennheiser fan and have been selling their microphone for over 20 years now. I've done very difficult installations using them which I'm convinced that would not have been possible with any other brand. Because of that fact I have a very easy (cheap ) access to their headphones.

The HD 25 is one of the best closed headphones ever made (I still use and love its predecessor the HD-250). It's the model of choice for many sports broadcasters (where they are usually combined with a microphone to become headsets). Even in the low price models you can expect better sound reproduction from Sennheiser than price comparable models.

I still own some early active noise cancellation from them and while the sound reproduction is stellar, the Bose QC2 are more comfortable to wear and the noise cancellation is stronger when it comes to plane and train noise - so it makes traveling more comfortable albeit for a small compromise on the sound quality front (emphasize on small).

Otherwise I agree pretty much with everything you wrote.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh and finally a warning to everybody. Listening to loud music on crappy headphones is the best and fastest way to damage you hearing - you'd be surprise at the sound pressure level that headphones are capable of generating.

As with computer monitors spending a little more on headphones will do wonders for your hearing (vision in case of monitors).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I still own some early active noise cancellation from them and while the sound reproduction is stellar, the Bose QC2 are more comfortable to wear and the noise cancellation is stronger when it comes to plane and train noise - so it makes traveling more comfortable albeit for a small compromise on the sound quality front (emphasize on small).

Otherwise I agree pretty much with everything you wrote.
    I think Bose is a relatively well-regarded set of headphones. However, as most of us are on a budget, they are considered overpriced, not poor quality. I think also a bit of negativity seeps in due to their popularity. People shouldn't limit themselves to just going by what's advertised on TV. If you listen to everything and like the noise canceling feature of the QC headphones, then more power to you! It's still a giant step up from bargain basement headphones. I just can't afford $300+ for Bose, and if I could I'd definitely buy the Senn's first.

Thread Information