Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I haven't tried those yet, Slomo, but as you can see from my avatar, I have taken a step up in the audio world.

Back in December, Amazon.com had sets of Triple Fi.10 Pro's on sale for $99 a piece. These are headphones that regularly sold for $350+ online, and are $399 from Ultimate Ears direct.

I missed that sale, but I netted a pair on eBay for $140. I also picked up a FiiO E1 headphone amplifier on eBay for $25.

Let me begin by saying that I am a person who's easily amused by a lot of things, but rarely am I truly impressed by something.

That said, these UE TFP10s are absolutely brilliant. The detail and soundstage is absolutely through the roof, and exceeds anything I've ever thought possible in an IEM/canalphone. Want to hear the pedals being worked on a piano in a live recording? It's possible. Every nuance comes through. When I hear Alicia Keys singing, it's like actually hearing her voice, as opposed to a flattened reproduction. It is actually possible to hear the vibrations of a harp or violin -- I know, I know, that's what makes the noise in the first place, but that's not what I mean at all. There is a distinct difference between hearing the sound that a violin makes, and actually hearing the bow sliding along the strings, and that adds so much color and intimacy to whatever you listen to. I'd love to compare them to the Klipsch's!

Every time I put the UE's on, I marvel and smile. And as lame as it sounds, a couple of songs have almost brought me to tears listening to, because they are able to so aptly portray the emotion of a singer's voice. It's probably cliche to say this, but it's very close to having a private concert, especially live music recorded at a high bitrate.

--

I stumbled across this article lately. It's a pretty fantastic read for audiophiles.

http://gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

That's what a $65,000 speaker looks like.

The envy of nearly every knowledgeable audio gear lover on the planet. I'm guessing that's in the neighborhood of a half million dollars sitting right there.

--

I was just thinking about this thread a couple days ago, actually. Pretty humorous that you chose to bump it now.

I invite ANYONE who wants to hear their music more clearly to invest in some good headphones. The side of the box that came with my headphones says, "Listen to Your Music for the First Time". They aren't kidding.
    I just noticed this post. My "home" earbuds that I don't take to work or workout with are UE 700s that are fantastic. Amazon ha them for about $190 and with my visa rewards amazon gift card I grabbed. Pair for $90. Price to sound ratio these have to be about the best out there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok. I'll play along.

First of all, how could you state that the $65k monstrosity sounds good? Have you personally heard it?
    You stated bigger and more expensive doesn't mean better. How do you know? Have you personally heard every $10,000+ speaker out there? You began with the assumptions here.

I'm guessing that the head of a magazine for audiophiles who has spent his entire life listening to sound systems, speakers, and equipment is going to have something that sounds pretty amazing in his house. You know, that's obviously just a guess though. I'm sure a $500 Home Theater In A Box will probably blow it away.

Or did you read that it's supposed to sound good?
    I've heard a pair of $20,000 (each) B&W speakers. They were mind-blowing. I'm guessing this guy has probably heard those too, and yet picked the specific speakers he has in his house for a reason.

Do you really think that because I haven't heard the setup in the article that it's compelling evidence against the speakers being of audiophile quality? Be a little more jealous, man. It's rather transparent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

This is the best speaker Ive ever heard in person. They had two of them in the corners of an audio demonstration room.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Any good headphones that are small and compact for gym use?
    Not sure how small you want, but I highly recommend the Koss Sporta or Porta Pros. They're perfect for the gym and under $30 from amazon.com

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sennheiser HD 205 for me. Does the job great....extra long cord is best.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i just picked up some altec lansings that are rebranded ultimate ear super fi 3s. they retail for $130 but i got them from amazon for $39...they're REALLY good.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...7598095&sr=8-1
    Last edited by blizz; 03-03-2010 at 01:40 AM.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Has anyone ever owned a pair of Fischer Audio DBA 02s? They've gotten pretty good reviews on head-fi, but wanted to see if anyone on the boards have had any personal experience with these earbuds.

Pain Strength Happiness ManuBalboa's Avatar
    Name
    Leonard Washington
    A little town by the name of none of your god damned business.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Picked up some Monster Turbines off Amazon. Using entirely for gym use and am pleased. Yes, I know they are made by Monster but they get great reviews on head-fi.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    you should ask her

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Brooklyn Nets
    o! I can help you buy headphones. I started collecting headphones from an early age, and during this time I began to understand a lot about which headphones are better and why. That is why I can recommend Klipsch headphones, about which you can find out more information
    These are wonderful inexpensive headphones that have all the features that are needed by modern man. These headphones are very versatile. You can be taking a walk with them, exercise, and more!

Thread Information