Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    The ending sucks to those with above .002 brain cells.
    I understand your need for a Hollywood ending where Tommy Lee Jones says "not on my watch", comes out of retirement, grabs a gun, and goes a huntin' for Bardem. Of course he tracks him down, a massive gunfight ensues, Bardem is dead with about 800 bullet holes in him and Jones is all shot up but of course he's going to make it.

It's really a shame the movie didn't end like that for you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I'm glad the time you spent as a hitman-for-hire has given you that insight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Except you don't know what i wanted. And the ending i *wanted* would have not turned it into a parody at all.
    And what's the ending you wanted? Since you're a better storyteller than Cormac McCarthy and the Coen Brothers and all.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    chigurgh was getting in that room whether carson liked it or not. i am glad they didn't go for the hollywood ending, personally.

SPOILERS:
    i do wish they had showed the shootout with the mexicans and chigurgh that resulted in moss' death, but i also understand why they didn't show it. i wouldn't call moss an amateur either, he just didn't know what he was dealing with.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    chigurgh was getting in that room whether carson liked it or not. i am glad they didn't go for the hollywood ending, personally.

SPOILERS:
    i do wish they had showed the shootout with the mexicans and chigurgh that resulted in moss' death, but i also understand why they didn't show it. i wouldn't call moss an amateur either, he just didn't know what he was dealing with.
    Lee,

1. Going back to the crime scene period. He even said to Carla Jean "I must be crazy for doing this but...."
    2. Failing to even look for the transponder for 2 days.
    3. After finding transponder, failing to shoot Sugar in front of the door.
    4. Failing to rise up above pickup and shoot S when he saw him in the reflection of the store window. Especially when S stopped and paused in front of the pickup he was a wide open target.

All amatuer moves.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Lee,

1. Going back to the crime scene period. He even said to Carla Jean "I must be crazy for doing this but...."
    2. Failing to even look for the transponder for 2 days.
    3. After finding transponder, failing to shoot Sugar in front of the door.
    4. Failing to rise up above pickup and shoot S when he saw him in the reflection of the store window. Especially when S stopped and paused in front of the pickup he was a wide open target.

All amatuer moves.
    well, there wouldn't have been a story without some of those mistakes - if he had rose above the pickup he would have died. compared to chigurgh, yes he was a newb, but i he was very resourceful to stay alive as long as he did with dude on his tail.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think it's clear that Fabbs is telling us that he's been shot at before and would know exactly what to do in such a situation. I mean, someone wielding a shotgun isn't going to make you the least bit afraid, is it? Of course not! Just pop out from behind the truck and take him down! No need to be concerned about your own safety at all! /sarcasm

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Fabbs is probably also pissed that you never know if he kills Moss' wife or not. I mean, all he does is check his shoes and leave...wtf is that? lmao

Name
    John Paul Lugo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This looks fun lol.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Lee,

well, there wouldn't have been a story without some of those mistakes - if he had rose above the pickup he would have died. compared to chigurgh, yes he was a newb, but i he was very resourceful to stay alive as long as he did with dude on his tail. <end Lee

So which is it? Newb or not? Because at the wrecked car scene he clearly had the advantage point over Chigar who was studying the truck. Cry Havoc thinks Chigar would have heard Llewelen rise up with his gun and turn and fire on Llewelen faster then Llewelyn could pull the trigger. Now that is calling Llwewelyn a total noob and giving Chigar superhero status. Nope, if he had rose above the pickup earlier, Chigar would have died IMO.

Yet you Cry Havoc claim he should have just sat there or he would have been killed. Yet Llewelen did indeed rise above the truck and that is how he injured Chigar. How else would he have gotten a shot off b-u-t to rise above the truck. Chigar by then was following the blood trail. You want him to sit there and get shot by Chigar? Lame.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Lee,

well, there wouldn't have been a story without some of those mistakes - if he had rose above the pickup he would have died. compared to chigurgh, yes he was a newb, but i he was very resourceful to stay alive as long as he did with dude on his tail. <end Lee

So which is it? Newb or not? Because at the wrecked car scene he clearly had the advantage point over Chigar who was studying the truck. Cry Havoc thinks Chigar would have heard Llewelen rise up with his gun and turn and fire on Llewelen faster then Llewelyn could pull the trigger. Now that is calling Llwewelyn a total noob and giving Chigar superhero status. Nope, if he had rose above the pickup earlier, Chigar would have died IMO.

Yet you Cry Havoc claim he should have just sat there or he would have been killed. Yet Llewelen did indeed rise above the truck and that is how he injured Chigar. How else would he have gotten a shot off b-u-t to rise above the truck. Chigar by then was following the blood trail. You want him to sit there and get shot by Chigar? Lame.
    didn't he injure him shooting below the car - if he had injured him shooting from above with buckshot he would have had more than that wound around his knee? newb in comparison, but dude obviously had some skill, he was a vietnam vet and had killed before. having the ultimate professional hitman coming after you will make you look bad in comparison. i think moss did well to err on the side of caution there.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    What the am I not reading?!

Name
    John Paul Lugo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Off topic, but I think spurscenter committed suicide.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What the am I not reading?!
    it's hard not to reveal plot points in this thread, attempting to be considerate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    didn't he injure him shooting below the car - if he had injured him shooting from above with buckshot he would have had more than that wound around his knee? newb in comparison, but dude obviously had some skill, he was a vietnam vet and had killed before. having the ultimate professional hitman coming after you will make you look bad in comparison. i think moss did well to err on the side of caution there.
    The ghost writing continues Hey I'm glad we are not spoiling it for others.
    Putting aside the wrecked truck shooting above car/below car scene, you still need to answer why Llewelyn.
    1. Went back to original crime scene.
    2. Failed to shoot Chigar thru the motel door when he had the chance.

Noob actions, even if Llewelyn was otherwise acting very street smart!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Tommy Lee Jones is cool. I'll see the movie just for him, but I read a review that said all the peripheral characters are flat caricatures of Texas rednecks. (the reviewer said "that doesn't bother me because I'm Texan, but because the Coens are capable of better )

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    while we're at it, we can criticize Moss for newb moves like going back to give the Mexican water and not looking for the transponder right away....then the movie would have been 15 minutes long and it would have been freakin awesome!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    and it's pretty obvious that Moss went back to the original crime scene because he had some semblance of a conscience about taking all that money and leaving a man to die like that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    while we're at it, we can criticize Moss for newb moves like going back to give the Mexican water and not looking for the transponder right away....then the movie would have been 15 minutes long and it would have been freakin awesome!
    No, we could have a scene where Chigar comes into Texas, finds you in a motel room waiting for the Dallas-New England game. You are bent over bowing down to a Tom Brady poster and statue. It's somewhat shocking even to Chigar so it might take a while. He finds letters you have written to Tom and BelliCheat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans

No, we could have a scene where Chigar comes into Texas, finds you in a motel room waiting for the Dallas-New England game. You are bent over bowing down to a Tom Brady poster and statue. It's somewhat shocking even to Chigar so it might take a while. He finds letters you have written to Tom and BelliCheat.
    lmao you have no defense so you resort to brady insults. you've proven what a ing idiot you are in this thread anyways. go enjoy Transformers again.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Tommy Lee Jones is cool. I'll see the movie just for him, but I read a review that said all the peripheral characters are flat caricatures of Texas rednecks. (the reviewer said "that doesn't bother me because I'm Texan, but because the Coens are capable of better )
    well, it's set in southwest texas (more west than south) in the early 80s - rednecks are par for the course. i thought it was much more in the style of blood simple than fargo, which is a good thing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lmao you have no defense so you resort to brady insults. you've proven what a ing idiot you are in this thread anyways. go enjoy Transformers again.
    Your no offense requires no defense.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Your no offense requires no defense.
    what?

seriously, i think i have an old copy of Mission: Impossible 2. you can watch that and discuss how badass the ending is.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No Country for Old Men is a movie that will most likely flop in theatres. It is not the kind of flick you will hear people raving about (unless you have a lot of movie-addicts as friends) and flocking to the production in large numbers. It is not the kind of movie that most people will want to see over and over again. But this is also perhaps the precise reason why it is such a thrilling, fantastic film that will garner ridiculous adoration from a subset of viewers who don’t like their action movies spoon fed to them by Hollywood with Will Smith delivering witty one-liners throughout. No Country for Old Men stands on its own as one of the finest action movies ever produced, though to call it simply an “action” movie drastically understates the ambitious reach of author Cormac McCarthy and producers Joel and Ethan Coen.

Set in the Southwestern United States, No Country is a story about Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin), a hunter who finds $2 million in cash in a drug deal in the middle of the desert, with no one around to guard it except several decaying bodies. Being a poor man clutching to existence in a remote part of the country, he decides to keep the money and hope for the best. When Anton Chigurh, played unsettlingly by Javier Bardem, comes looking for the money, the entire plot becomes “a mess,” as Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) succinctly puts it. This movie is the opposite of a B-rate slaughterhouse of gore and torture. It chooses to seethe, to ooze tension and leave our imaginations to do the worst. Rather than club you over the head with grisly pictures, the machinations of the Coen brothers are carefully sculpted to extract the maximum amount of impact from each confrontation while keeping the gore to an essential minimum.

Part of what makes No Country so brilliant is how focused each scene appears to us, how they delight in the subtle nuances of character, portraying them as common individuals who are mostly clueless to deal with the changing forces around them. The austere humor of each individual echoes this, as they deliver their own guileless assessments of life and love, delivered in a Southwestern slang that many will mistake for a lack of wisdom. Yet each role here is superbly designed to beg for reflection, to ponder the choices they make, and to examine their own flaws and virtues. In short, every character means something to the plot, and the ramifications of what happens to them are always noticed and felt by the viewer. When one dies, it releases a torrent of emotion that leaves us feeling bereft of something substantial.

And that is perhaps the most significant departure from the typical movie of No Country for Old Men. The action scenes here are visceral, they are gripping, and they are well-designed, the same as many other films appearing this year in theatres. What is different here is intuition of the directors, who realize that silence in a gunfight can provide much more tension than a constant rain of bullets. The most unbearable moments in No Country are the seconds before the trigger is pulled, where life and death are temporarily suspended. After each confrontation, an audible gasp is almost necessary. This film is equally as unnerving because the next battle is always around the corner – if not with guns, then with words, and if not with words, with the idea of how to deal with death, life, and our past.

It is in these somber ruminations that No Country is saved from being a nihilistic retelling of fate. Without the distantly observant comments made by Tommy Lee Jones’ character (Bell), the earnest method by which Moss (Brolin) moves through the scenes with an uneasy balance between fear and arrogance, or the chilling ideology of Chigurh (Bardem), this movie would have been another two hours of mindless bloodletting, as desolate as the landscape. Instead, No Country is full of choices, consequences, and the motives that drive us, a film that stands tall in a sea of much poorer clones. Even the ending, which may leave some scratching their head, and others angered, is as devastatingly stark and unapologetic as the rest of the production, offering no “feel better” pill, only the vague ideas of a desperate situation, and a person who has simply had enough. It is potentially the most unnerving quality in the entire film: The ending is simply too realistic for its own good, departing from underneath our conscience with only a few words to see us home. What is not spoken aloud is what makes No Country for Old Men a classic.

If anyone thinks this has spoilers, please let me know. I tried to keep it modestly vague.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 11-19-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    what?

seriously, i think i have an old copy of Mission: Impossible 2. you can watch that and discuss how badass the ending is.
    You mother not only lets you use her p.c. but loans you movies? Wow, you are maturing.

Thread Information