Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    The point of the movie wasn't about a showdown between the badasses. If you listen closer to Tommy Lee Jones' monologues you'd understand why it ends like that.
    Hard to hear when I got my little cousins screaming. I'll definitely watch it again, though.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Jesus, it's been two years and people still have no idea what this movie is about or why it ended the way it did?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ending was the best part. It was real. Sometimes people just do bad things.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Ending was the best part. It was real. Sometimes people just do bad things.
    Cuz it's fun to do bad things.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cuz it's fun to do bad things.

LMAO, I have never gotten mad at something like that before, but I became enraged when I watched the interview.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    LMAO, I have never gotten mad at something like that before, but I became enraged when I watched the interview.
    What was that about by the way?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just watched this movie again last night.

Damn. It's got so much charisma, that on subsequent viewings, I find myself not rooting for any particular person, but just letting the movie go where it wants. Even though you know what's going to happen, it's still a tense ride that has way more depth to it than I remembered. The discussion with the old guy in the wheelchair that Tommy Lee Jones's character has is incredibly spartan, yet thought-provoking dialogue.

Awesome, awesome film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This movie is an overrated pile of vomit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This movie is an overrated pile of vomit.
    Clever. Any reasoning to back that up, or are you just retching yourself?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Clever. Any reasoning to back that up, or are you just retching yourself?
    Little Column A, Little Column B.

I don't particularly care for Cormac McCarthy. I also think the movie tries to juxtapose an innocent and pure past vs. the depravity and morally bankrupt present. I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember this point being made when, at a crime scene, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something like "this would never have happened back in my day."

That is so trite and hackneyed and annoying that it soured me to the movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Little Column A, Little Column B.

I don't particularly care for Cormac McCarthy. I also think the movie tries to juxtapose an innocent and pure past vs. the depravity and morally bankrupt present. I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember this point being made when, at a crime scene, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something like "this would never have happened back in my day."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I see your point, and understand why I'm wrong now. That's a well thought out and clearly presented point you've made.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seriously though, the movie is a ing prolonged jerk-off session for some nostagliac view of old country life. If that's your thing, cool. To me, that 's re ed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You're wrong because the movie does the absolute opposite of what I highlighted in your post. Don't feel bad though, even though you display an absolute mastery of inattention (did you even listen to what his uncle said?), you're among the masses here because it seems everyone misses the damn point for this film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're wrong because the movie does the absolute opposite of what I highlighted in your post. Don't feel bad though, even though you display an absolute mastery of inattention (did you even listen to what his uncle said?), you're among the masses here because it seems everyone misses the damn point for this film.
    And how's it do that?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    And how's it do that?
    You obviously didn't pay attention to the most important scene in the movie even though you quoted from it. Rewatch the scene with the uncle then come back and tell me your view still holds any water.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You obviously didn't pay attention to the most important scene in the movie even though you quoted from it. Rewatch the scene with the uncle then come back and tell me your view still holds any water.
    How about you explain yourself instead of assuming ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't particularly care for Cormac McCarthy.
    What's the point of this statement?

I also think the movie tries to juxtapose an innocent and pure past vs. the depravity and morally bankrupt present.
    If you're speaking to Llewelyn: A protagonist who runs from the law and attempts to kill another person, endangering the life of his family just to keep the money is innocent?

If you're talking about Sheriff Bell: Completely false. The conversation with the man in the trailer where he states that things have always been around that you cannot do anything about and his reference to the Indians who shot his relative and just rode off while he bled to death is a perfect example of why your statement holds no water. In fact, Bell is criticized here for thinking he can do anything about it, and his "uncle" tells him to stop being so vain.

The reason the book is called, "No Country for Old Men" is simply a reflection upon the lack of power that Bell feels over his life. It has nothing to do with the "good old days", the violence that Bardem brings to the movie just underscores how a small town sheriff cannot handle the war that a massive drug trade brings to his doorstep, and by extension, how much control he has in his life.

At the end of the movie, he's so totally removed from decision making that he has to ask his wife to tell him what to do in the morning, because he wants to ride his horse, but he hesitates even to do that.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember this point being made when, at a crime scene, Tommy Lee Jones' character says something like "this would never have happened back in my day."
    Which is just his character being nostalgic because he's realizing that he's old, and in over his head.

Most movies like this don't make sense unless you pay attention to the dialogue. I know it's difficult because it's so much easier to watch the action scenes to try to figure out what's going on, but that's the opposite of what you need to do in this movie.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 11-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Here, watch.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For being just a few minutes long, that scene is ing amazing. Saying so much with so little, in such simple terms.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Marini, don't think I don't see you lurkin' in this thread. You know you should give your opinion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Damn, VY vanished.

silverblk mystix
    Damn, VY vanished.
    You guys really,really like this movie and take it way,way too serious.

If anyone doesn't like it as much as you do...you really take it personal.

I wish there were more movies that gave me that feeling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    You guys really,really like this movie and take it way,way too serious.

If anyone doesn't like it as much as you do...you really take it personal.

I wish there were more movies that gave me that feeling.
    Funny coming from you, considering how personal you took it when Mono gave his opinion that Kanye West is a musical genius, and your ing chode exploded into a million pieces.

silverblk mystix
    Funny coming from you, considering how personal you took it when Mono gave his opinion that Kanye West is a musical genius, and your ing chode exploded into a million pieces.
    The funny part is that you, considering that you said you were a musician yourself, consider kanye a musical genius....that's funny.

Thread Information