Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You guys really,really like this movie and take it way,way too serious.

If anyone doesn't like it as much as you do...you really take it personal.

I wish there were more movies that gave me that feeling.
    Actually its not even in my top 10 - not really even close actually. Whats funny is how all of you don't get it. VY65 went so far as to say the movie was the opposite than what it was. Its kinda like when you were all over the place changing your stance on what the movie was with every post you made.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    The funny part is that you, considering that you said you were a musician yourself, consider kanye a musical genius....that's funny.
    Calling your own songs genius but then being too scared to post them. Now THAT was funny.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    The funny part is that you, considering that you said you were a musician yourself, consider kanye a musical genius....that's funny.
    And when did I ever say I consdier Kanye a musical genius? I think you need to go back and read the thread. I simply defended against your re ed ing notion that making hip hop beats requires no talent and is just simply "pressing buttons". ing dumbass.

silverblk mystix
    Calling your own songs genius but then being too scared to post them. Now THAT was funny.
    Never called my own songs genius and I said I would post mine right after you post yours.

The funny part is that if you heard my songs you would be too much of a pussy to admit they were good. You would just try to knock them down while listening to trash like Kanye and agreeing with others just to be liked here.

silverblk mystix
    And when did I ever say I consdier Kanye a musical genius? I think you need to go back and read the thread. I simply defended against your re ed ing notion that making hip hop beats requires no talent and is just simply "pressing buttons". ing dumbass.
    Not understanding why your panties are all twisted.

Making beats is not the same as playing a drumset. Making beats is pushing a button to play a drum/percussion part that real musicians recorded. Try to understand that at one time ...you would actually invent and play the music yourself on instruments. You didn't push buttons and play programmed beats and then consider yourself a musician.

Hope you can understand the difference and save your hatred for something else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Never called my own songs genius and I said I would post mine right after you post yours.

The funny part is that if you heard my songs you would be too much of a pussy to admit they were good. You would just try to knock them down while listening to trash like Kanye and agreeing with others just to be liked here.
    You definitely said your songs were genius. You pretty much sucked your own saying they were so well crafted.

You're doing it in this post too by saying that I'd have to admit they were good as if that was the only possibility!!!

@ doing something just to be liked on here. Pretty sure there isn't a person on Spurstalk left that I haven't pissed off but I do find it hilarious that somehow I'd bash your music to be liked and not because well, it sucked?

Poor musical genius is scared people will make fun of his music.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Not understanding why your panties are all twisted.

Making beats is not the same as playing a drumset. Making beats is pushing a button to play a drum/percussion part that real musicians recorded. Try to understand that at one time ...you would actually invent and play the music yourself on instruments. You didn't push buttons and play programmed beats and then consider yourself a musician.

Hope you can understand the difference and save your hatred for something else.
    This is why I know you made horrible music. A real musician would never limit himself to this ridiculous definition of what music is. A real musician could make a beat out of like a washboard and a jug and not say NOPE that doesn't count because it wasn't on an orchestral instrument.

silverblk mystix
    You definitely said your songs were genius. You pretty much sucked your own saying they were so well crafted.

You're doing it in this post too by saying that I'd have to admit they were good as if that was the only possibility!!!

@ doing something just to be liked on here. Pretty sure there isn't a person on Spurstalk left that I haven't pissed off but I do find it hilarious that somehow I'd bash your music to be liked and not because well, it sucked?

Poor musical genius is scared people will make fun of his music.
    What I did say was describe that the SONGS have beautiful melodies and are well crafted songs. Never did I claim to be a musical genius and that was the whole point of that thread-musical genius. I don't feel that the term musical genius should be bandied about to hacks like kanye and the truth is that there are just not that many musical geniuses around-period.

And I said that even if you thought they WERE good-that you would be too much of a pussy to admit it. Of course, there are many people with other taste who would hate them.Some would hate some would love them some wouldn't give a either way-but I do know one goddamn thing...you would NOT be man enough to express the truth...you would just find a way to trash them and/or lie about what you heard just to be an ass as you have always been.

But deep inside you would know the truth -that you never expected to hear something that good coming from me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Oh you're just so misunderstood! Must be painful being such a big musical genius that no one acknowledges with his well crafted songs and what not.

silverblk mystix
    This is why I know you made horrible music. A real musician would never limit himself to this ridiculous definition of what music is. A real musician could make a beat out of like a washboard and a jug and not say NOPE that doesn't count because it wasn't on an orchestral instrument.
    You seem to have a problem with understanding the difference between a musical genius and just someone who is ...just average.

No one ever said that I or anyone else would limit themselves to any instruments or any method to making music.

A musical genius will make brilliant music either way-I can agree with you there-if that is what you are trying to say.

But a person who pushes a button may be many things...he may be loved by a large segment of fans...he may be a great rapper....he may be a ty rapper...he may be many things...but he will never be a musical genius by pushing buttons and talking over a programmed beat.

Prince for example, played many instruments, sang, produced, ran his LIVE band, wrote songs,lyrics, arrangements, had melodies,lyrics, hooks, hits,etc...
    by the time he was 16 or 17.
    Although Prince was never my cup of tea...he was and is most assuredly a musical genius.

Tell me how Kanye...by pushing a button and cursing over a beat and then singing badly and off key is a musical genius?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You obviously have no clue what composers do and why many composers are considered musical geniuses.

silverblk mystix
    You obviously have no clue what composers do and why many composers are considered musical geniuses.
    Composers compose music.

Not push a button and curse over a repe ive beat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You seem to have a problem with understanding the difference between a musical genius and just someone who is ...just average.

No one ever said that I or anyone else would limit themselves to any instruments or any method to making music.

A musical genius will make brilliant music either way-I can agree with you there-if that is what you are trying to say.

But a person who pushes a button may be many things...he may be loved by a large segment of fans...he may be a great rapper....he may be a ty rapper...he may be many things...but he will never be a musical genius by pushing buttons and talking over a programmed beat.

Prince for example, played many instruments, sang, produced, ran his LIVE band, wrote songs,lyrics, arrangements, had melodies,lyrics, hooks, hits,etc...
    by the time he was 16 or 17.
    Although Prince was never my cup of tea...he was and is most assuredly a musical genius.

Tell me how Kanye...by pushing a button and cursing over a beat and then singing badly and off key is a musical genius?

There are only a few rappers to ever live that I would claim to be musical geniuses. And with the current trend and evolution of rap music over the past decade, I don't ever expect too many more to ever exist.

I'm not even going to limit this discussion to just rap in this case...I think in general new music is just . There aren't exactly too many new rock bands I enjoy either. The majority of the music that I consider top notch in my book is all of the past.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Composers compose music.

Not push a button and curse over a repe ive beat.
    You think Kanye's beats pop up simply by pushing a button? Thats the equivlant of saying a guitarist just strums some strings. He composes the beats - he composes the melodies - he composes those songs. Thats what you can't seem to understand.

silverblk mystix

There are only a few rappers to ever live that I would claim to be musical geniuses. And with the current trend and evolution of rap music over the past decade, I don't ever expect too many more to ever exist.

I'm not even going to limit this discussion to just rap in this case...I think in general new music is just . There aren't exactly too many new rock bands I enjoy either. The majority of the music that I consider top notch in my book is all of the past.
    Agreed.

Because being a success in today's music world is not based on talent anymore. It is based on other things but most importantly it is only the few people that are signed to a few major labels that have the money to payoff the viacom/empty-V people who only play a small rotation of [I]artists[I]
    ...and only the ones who paid. It is modern day payola that no-one seems to want to regulate anymore.

You havta' look pretty hard to find the true talented artists around depending on your taste in music...they are out there but they are harder to find because they are not involved in the payola scam.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    People said the same in the 60s. They said the same in the 70s. They said the same in the 80s. They said the same in the 90s. They're still saying the same thing today.

silverblk mystix
    You think Kanye's beats pop up simply by pushing a button? Thats the equivlant of saying a guitarist just strums some strings. He composes the beats - he composes the melodies - he composes those songs. Thats what you can't seem to understand.
    I understand it completely. I have listened to those songs. They are really,really bad. They are songs that if you went back to the 60's and 70's...they are so bad that these attempts at melodies are comparable to one of the 60/70's artists would have done when they just learned songwriting.
    Imagine someone when they were 12 years old...just wrote their first melody or two...and then put them on an album..that is how amateurish Kanyes songs are....and THAT is why he is nowhere near a musical genius.
    His lyrics are like lyrics that any songwriter of merit would have written when they were 13 years old and thought they were hits, only to look back 20 years later and say to himself...man...I thought those songs were good...but they were really bad...I am glad that I kept writing and re-writing for 20 years and actually became competent.
    Kanye is that 13 year old who still hasn't learned how to write a song. Talk about weak melodies, talk about weak and off key singing....on & on & on...

THIS is why I cringe when people throw the term musical genius around.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

You really don't get it.

It has absolutely zero, zilch, NOTHING to do with the fact that you disagree with me. You are more than welcome to love or hate any movie you choose.

However, when you make the decision to post your opinion about a movie on an internet forum, you open yourself up to potential criticism. Now, I would be more than happy to debate the merits and failings of NCfOM with you, as that is the point of threads such as this.

However, when your sole reason for not liking a movie is "hurr durr its re ed", you are not only giving evidence that you lack the mental a en to articulate yourself properly beyond a 7th grade level, you are actively wasting everyone's time with drivel.

Stating this movie sucks because its stupid is not a way to get across that you use your frontal lobes at all. And as has been discussed, vy's critique was inaccurate because it directly contradicts the canonical content of both the movie and the book. It would be like saying Schindler's list is a bad movie because the main character is so anti-semetic. You are free to espouse that viewpoint, but if you can't back it up with facts or events from the movie, your opinion is going to be mocked or disregarded, because it makes no sense.

You simply don't understand that basic situation, and nothing anyone says makes an impact on your brain.

And at you criticizing someone for liking kanye after the above post. Do you intentionally try to be as hypocritical as possible, or what?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I understand it completely. I have listened to those songs. They are really,really bad. They are songs that if you went back to the 60's and 70's...they are so bad that these attempts at melodies are comparable to one of the 60/70's artists would have done when they just learned songwriting.
    Imagine someone when they were 12 years old...just wrote their first melody or two...and then put them on an album..that is how amateurish Kanyes songs are....and THAT is why he is nowhere near a musical genius.
    His lyrics are like lyrics that any songwriter of merit would have written when they were 13 years old and thought they were hits, only to look back 20 years later and say to himself...man...I thought those songs were good...but they were really bad...I am glad that I kept writing and re-writing for 20 years and actually became competent.
    Kanye is that 13 year old who still hasn't learned how to write a song. Talk about weak melodies, talk about weak and off key singing....on & on & on...

THIS is why I cringe when people throw the term musical genius around.
    And yet your music that is so well crafted goes unpublished. So ing funny.

Its also funny that your changing your stance again. First it was that he pushed a button and cursed and now its that his lyrics and melody just aren't good. I wonder what reason you'll give in the next post.

silverblk mystix
    You really don't get it.

It has absolutely zero, zilch, NOTHING to do with the fact that you disagree with me. You are more than welcome to love or hate any movie you choose.

However, when you make the decision to post your opinion about a movie on an internet forum, you open yourself up to potential criticism. Now, I would be more than happy to debate the merits and failings of NCfOM with you, as that is the point of threads such as this.

However, when your sole reason for not liking a movie is "hurr durr its re ed", you are not only giving evidence that you lack the mental a en to articulate yourself properly beyond a 7th grade level, you are actively wasting everyone's time with drivel.

Stating this movie sucks because its stupid is not a way to get across that you use your frontal lobes at all. And as has been discussed, vy's critique was inaccurate because it directly contradicts the canonical content of both the movie and the book. It would be like saying Schindler's list is a bad movie because the main character is so anti-semetic. You are free to espouse that viewpoint, but if you can't back it up with facts or events from the movie, your opinion is going to be mocked or disregarded, because it makes no sense.

You simply don't understand that basic situation, and nothing anyone says makes an impact on your brain.

And at you criticizing someone for liking kanye after the above post. Do you intentionally try to be as hypocritical as possible, or what?

You really wanted to bring this thread back for so long didn't you.

I always said that I liked the first 90% of NCFOM...but everyone trashed me for not liking the ending. That is why i said that you guys really like this movie...I wasn't trashing your opinions or the movie-I was stating a fact-that you guys really seem to take it personal. Movies are art-IMO. In art you can get feelings drawn out of you...you can be inspired...you can be moved...you can be let down. The ending to this movie made me feel let down. Whether you or MannyisGod or any others like to hear that-it is the truth...MY truth...that is how I experienced that movie. Someone said that my feeling a certain way was not good enough...then i guess you are saying that feelings/emotions don't matter in art/music/etc...
    Too bad...that is what I felt and no-one else can change that.
    By the way...when I first saw this movie...I would have been a perfect audience for the meaning to the ending-because I had recently lost my dad and the Tommy lee Jones character's final words ...SHOULD ...have really given me some comfort...
    but I digested it...thought about it...understood it...and then just felt the feeling of being let down...like they almost had me...close...but no cigar.
    That was my honest reaction to the ending and the movie went from being almost perfect to not quite in that category. That is MY feeling of that movie.
    Feel free to praise it to high heaven and insult those that don't wish to debate it's artistic merits...it is your option.

As far as the Kanye thing...the original thread started with the OP saying Kanye is a musical genius and to whoever disagrees-to go suck a ...

It was funny and it was fun to play the contrarian...and the only point that I believed in was the musical genius part. I don't care if you like Kanye or not...it does not bother me...saying Kanye is a musical genius does bother me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only what sells goes published. Not everything that sells is great music. Obviously you are aware of the fact that most new music we hear coming out is garbage.

One of my favorite rappers of those that are still rapping has in recent history signed with a major label, and in my opinion what he's put out with the big label has been complete . Many of his mixtapes are BOMB in my view...and they include tons of songs that most people don't know about.

Just because you're published doesn't mean you're currently making good music...it means some re up top thinks your can sell, sell to the actual people that will pay for the music: parents buying CDs for their 12 year old son/daughter that only listens for new music via radio.

silverblk mystix

Its also funny that your changing your stance again. First it was that he pushed a button and cursed and now its that his lyrics and melody just aren't good. I wonder what reason you'll give in the next post.
    I was published in 2001(as a songwriter). Pretty small time...not too much came out of it because the artist that was given my material would not tour.

happens.

I will self publish my CD and just be content with a small yearly sum instead of trying to play the ...music label/record company game...to try for riches.

So I decided to just play the music myself with a band whether or not it makes me money. I already have a career-I am not playing the music in my band to make money and anyone who thinks they can is in for a long, hard road and they still won't really make ends meet unless a miracle happens.

The music can be good and honest without necessarily making you rich, that is just an unfortunate fact in this business. The love for playing, writing,performing is a pretty good reward in itself.
    I also said in the other thread that if Kanye and a bunch of others found a way to make millions-then props to them because they are talented at making money. But that does not make them musical geniuses.

I never changed my stance on the one thing I was trying to express. That Kanye is not a musical genius. Kanye -as far as I know-does not play any musical instruments and his singing is horrible (so is mine-therefore I will never be a musical genius) ...he does push a button and talk about himself a lot while cursing...

If this makes him a musical genius in YOUR eyes...then why argue...enjoy his music or raps or programming or whatever other genius talents he has.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are you gonna post your musical talents, sweetie?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What a great great movie. Woody is great in it.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

I'm amused by the implication that those of us defending the film are taking it personally and/or too seriously, but those of you who argue against it are, what, just having fun?

Thread Information