Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I think I have watched it all the way through about four times.
    or maybe just certain segments. it’s up there with Fargo and the big Lebowski for me although it’s much darker imo (than Fargo) The big Lebowski and oh brother where art thou are just loaded with funny conversation. Love those two

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Carson, in spite of his know-it-all at ude showed me enough a en ie he found Llew in the Mexican hospital very quickly all things being equal......

Building on your point of Carson not wanting to make himself a bigger target thus thought "hey Sugar is out there lurking, maybe I'll let Llew retrieve the money and then IF Sugar is watching I'll self preserve and let Llew get killed." Kind of like some dogs, you take an older vet dog and pair it with a young pup. When approaching potential trouble, often times the vet dog will let the younger dog wander into potential trouble. However problem with that theory is how/when is Carson going to get the money if he waits? Camp out somewhere with a view of the riverbank so he can confront Llew after he picks it up? And/or smoke Sugar after Sugar smokes Llew?

Still seems like a weird plot hole to me that Carson , 1st waited and then much later (night) was so nonchalantly strolling back to his hotel room. Knowing Sugar was lurking, on the loose, and sure enough, there appears Sugar. The lazy theory would fit. Just seems weird given he did show enough a en to get to the point to where he was. In a position to get the money and complete his mission thus get paid.

No i don't history of the hotel Carson was staying in. Sugar had smoked someone in Carson Death Hotel before?

Q3 Yes the one Llew was killed at. Sugar found it simply by following the cop commotion?
    And where did the money end up. Sugar was snooping for it at Lew Death Hotel but did he find it? Or that is left up to the viewer?
    to me it’s possible Carson was just used for a kind of sealed the fate character. I almost think the viewer was supposed to feel that Carson knows he is dealing with a character that in the long run he can’t handle, but he hast to give it a try.

The iness he displays would lend doubt to my argument. but he gets surprised enough for me think he knows it’s going to end badly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bottom line for me very compelling movie but like other above i found the ending to be non satisfying. Spinners will Straw that into "Oh you wanted a Hollywood ending."
    Nope.

Rather the glorification of Sugar being the all knowing all foreseeing was just bull imo. The pharmacy scene where he throws in a bomb and everyone scatters leaving his demon ass to stroll in and get all the supplies he needed. That was some Hollywood bull .

10/10 all but the last 20 minutes or so.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    ^No you're right, gard. Anton's character is a personification for the unrelenting force of death and destruction that's always seemingly around the corner.

And, yes, MT, it doesn't always make sense just like death, but the spectre is there and ready to act given the right unfortunate cir stances as seen in the movie. He's the balance to Lew and Sheriff Bell. Bell discussed this as much at the beginning and ending of the film.

I believe the ending was satisfying, imho, as Bell goes to a really dark place and yet again implies through his dream that he isn't made for the world he finds himself in. Hence No Country for..yada yada.

One of the best movies of this young century so far. There are few movies like it.

My dream is a Cohen Bros take on Blood Meridian.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Bottom line for me very compelling movie but like other above i found the ending to be non satisfying. Spinners will Straw that into "Oh you wanted a Hollywood ending."
    Nope.

Rather the glorification of Sugar being the all knowing all foreseeing was just bull imo. The pharmacy scene where he throws in a bomb and everyone scatters leaving his demon ass to stroll in and get all the supplies he needed. That was some Hollywood bull .

10/10 all but the last 20 minutes or so.
    no I can definitely see this.
    they could definitely have ended it differently and it still have the same effect.
    I just see the ending in this movie as much less important than the whole process. Or maybe it’s just that you can’t get rid of the calculating but random devil in humanity. So live with it. I’m not really sure

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Also, if you read the book, Anton comes across more as a pretty savy hitman. He does his DD although he comes across more as a omnipresent force in the movie but, again, that's what the Cohen's were going for.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^No you're right, gard. Anton's character is a personification for the unrelenting force of death and destruction that's always seemingly around the corner.

And, yes, MT, it doesn't always make sense just like death, but the spectre is there and ready to act given the right unfortunate cir stances as seen in the movie. He's the balance to Lew and Sheriff Bell. Bell discussed this as much at the beginning and ending of the film.

I believe the ending was satisfying, imho, as Bell goes to a really dark place and yet again implies through his dream that he isn't made for the world he finds himself in. Hence No Country for..yada yada.

One of the best movies of this young century so far. There are few movies like it.

My dream is a Cohen Bros take on Blood Meridian.
    Sugar as being Death makes total sense.
    That seems like a fit 100.

Thank you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Well the fact that the movie even led to this type of conversation may indicate how powerful it was. I’m not really a very thoughtful movie critic, but when something like this shows up and just totally captures you... when you get bored easily and something like this comes along and punches you in the face, you know it’s something special.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    to me it’s possible Carson was just used for a kind of sealed the fate character. I almost think the viewer was supposed to feel that Carson knows he is dealing with a character that in the long run he can’t handle, but he hast to give it a try.
    Great summary, concur.
    Last edited by MultiTroll; 02-26-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Carson, in spite of his know-it-all at ude showed me enough a en ie he found Llew in the Mexican hospital very quickly all things being equal......

Building on your point of Carson not wanting to make himself a bigger target thus thought "hey Sugar is out there lurking, maybe I'll let Llew retrieve the money and then IF Sugar is watching I'll self preserve and let Llew get killed." Kind of like some dogs, you take an older vet dog and pair it with a young pup. When approaching potential trouble, often times the vet dog will let the younger dog wander into potential trouble. However problem with that theory is how/when is Carson going to get the money if he waits? Camp out somewhere with a view of the riverbank so he can confront Llew after he picks it up? And/or smoke Sugar after Sugar smokes Llew?

Still seems like a weird plot hole to me that Carson , 1st waited and then much later (night) was so nonchalantly strolling back to his hotel room. Knowing Sugar was lurking, on the loose, and sure enough, there appears Sugar. The lazy theory would fit. Just seems weird given he did show enough a en to get to the point to where he was. In a position to get the money and complete his mission thus get paid.

No i don't history of the hotel Carson was staying in. Sugar had smoked someone in Carson Death Hotel before?

Q3 Yes the one Llew was killed at. Sugar found it simply by following the cop commotion?
    And where did the money end up. Sugar was snooping for it at Lew Death Hotel but did he find it? Or that is left up to the viewer?
    1. Something along those lines. Point being that he probably felt it wasn't the best time to grab it. He was ed anyway had he grabbed it as we saw Anton was waiting for him.

2. Yes. It's the same hotel Anton found Lew. He smoked the clerk with the cat.

3. Yes and he was in El Paso to begin with based off of the info he got from the Alpine guy with the chickens. He knew Lew was going to be trying to escape by plane.

The money was taken by Anton in the end. We know this after seeing the dimes and AC grate on the floor in the hotel room. That part was a little confusing though because we get this weird scene where we see Anton in the room Bell is about to enter, but he isn't ACTUALLY there. He WAS before Bell got there though. I think this was just a visual of the sense of fear Bell was feeling in that moment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also, if you read the book, Anton comes across more as a pretty savy hitman. He does his DD although he comes across more as a omnipresent force in the movie but, again, that's what the Cohen's were going for.
    The part where Llew could have smoked him while looking out his hotel room at the door and seeing Sugars feet cast as a shadow. Lew does not shoot, next thing Sugar plunks him with that damn cow air gun.

Fark that slayed me.

I hate bullies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Well the fact that the movie even led to this type of conversation may indicate how powerful it was. I’m not really a very thoughtful movie critic, but when something like this shows up and just totally captures you... when you get bored easily and something like this comes along and punches you in the face, you know it’s something special.
    It's in my Top 5. 2007 overall was a pretty great year for movies as this movie went H-2-H with another in my top 5: There Will Be Blood. Both deserved Best Picture, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Great summary, concur.
    If it is as I say, it fits Tim’s you can’t escape personified death.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    It's in my Top 5. 2007 overall was a pretty great year for movies as this movie went H-2-H with another in my top 5: There Will Be Blood. Both deserved Best Picture, tbh.
    yeah I watch that also and I liked it I need to rewatch it.

I know I saw it on either Amazon or Netflix fairly recently

it would’ve been perfect during our storm

... I didn’t have electricity so much time, completely forgot. I guess that’s good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    The part where Llew could have smoked him while looking out his hotel room at the door and seeing Sugars feet cast as a shadow. Lew does not shoot, next thing Sugar plunks him with that damn cow air gun.

Fark that slayed me.

I hate bullies.
    Excellent scene. This was one of the last movies to truly have me "on the edge of the seat". It's a perfect thriller. To me, the lack of any sort of music or soundtrack helped pull my attention in even further and set me up for that ing jump scare with the lock. Truly great filmmaking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If it is as I say, it fits Tim’s you can’t escape personified death.
    And yet, knowing his overconfidence got the best of him and he was going to die, he still tried to negotiate with Sugar.
    "We can go down to the ATM, I've got 14K in the bank."

It was kind of sad. Not making fun of Carson for giving it a try. FFS he was looking at death and was going to give any effort he could think of.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The Cowboys showing humanity going back and getting water at the drug slaughter scene and then getting hunted down and punished along with his wife. He sat in bed contemplating it, sweating it and he went back anyway. Then others just randomly slayed. So he has calculated killing and then because the coin told him

And then death escapes random death and he walks away from that car crash and gives those kids money for a shirt tourniquet. This is not light cream.

I was also captivated by the way some of the characters fix themselves up after being shot. Weird. I don’t like blood and guts.

Thread Information