Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Proud Silver Medalist Doug Collins's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    18. Texas A&M- There’s not much wrong this campus except for the lack of color. One poster said it’s essentially “BEIGE BEIGE everywhere…” I couldn’t agree more. And, um, “Aggieland”??? Not exactly an appealing phrase, is it? And on their website, they have an extremely strange lack of pictures of their buildings. Just keep adding fuel to my fire, Texas A&M. Knock yourselves out.

LINK
    A&M's campus isn't so much ugly as it is boring, the architecture isn't very modern just utilitarian and functional. The new buildings going up are much more modern and easy on the eyes like the new Chemical engineering building.

Research park is a nice area, it's where all the crazy depressed girls go to reconnect with themselves.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Brutalis's absence has rekindled the board's hatred of Capt. Mike.

Bwaha, nice. Fortunately, there was never any doubt who was going to get my National Merit Scholarship money.
    n Ooooh, you were a National Merit Scholar? Wow, I bet OSU must attract a whopping two dozen or so every year!! What a great school!

I'll bet you were in the top 10% of your high school class, too!! Nearly one-fourth of OSU students are proud to proclaim they were in the top 10% of classes from highly compe ive high schools in places like Okmulgee and Enid!

If your proud Board of Trustees keeps plugging away at it, someday OSU will be rubbing shoulders with such hallowed ins utions as North Texas and Louisiana Tech!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Research park is a nice area, it's where all the crazy depressed girls go to reconnect with themselves.

yeah but are they easy?

Unsigned #1 Draft Pick RonMexico's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    yeah but are they easy?
    Yes.

Or as Mike would say, they are "renown easy."

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    While it's a far cry from Boulder, I prefer A&M's campus to most urban schools.

While it's a far cry from Boulder, I prefer A&M's campus to most urban schools.
    Urban? You consider Bryan/College Station urban?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Urban? You consider Bryan/College Station urban?
    We have 5+ stoplights and 2 Wal-Marts which, by East Texas standards, is defined as "urban"

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    yeah but are they easy?
    Unbelievably easy and clingy

We have 5+ stoplights and 2 Wal-Marts which, by East Texas standards, is defined as "urban"
    I do remember as a freshman, running into some girls from like Jacksonville, or Crockett, or somewhere, who were in awe because they'd never seen any place as big as Bryan/College Station. It was like a Crusader seeing Constantinople for the first time.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I do remember as a freshman, running into some girls from like Jacksonville, or Crockett, or somewhere, who were in awe because they'd never seen any place as big as Bryan/College Station. It was like a Crusader seeing Constantinople for the first time.
    CaptMike throws out National Merit Scholarships and you have to bring up obscure, Middle Age references to prove "aggrot" knowledge.

$300 million worth of knowledge

CaptMike throws out National Merit Scholarships and you have to bring up obscure, Middle Age references to prove "aggrot" knowledge.

It's funny because every year "uo" gets like 150 National Merit Scholars, and OSU gets 20 or 30. They'll throw $50,000-$100,000 in scholarships at them and still only get a trickle. Bringing up NMS was an epic act of self-ownage.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    It's funny because every year "uo" gets like 150 National Merit Scholars, and OSU gets 20 or 30. They'll throw $50,000-$100,000 in scholarships at them and still only get a trickle. Bringing up NMS was an epic act of self-ownage.
    It is interesting and if you are an alumni of the program as I am it is cause for some controversy. You see, uo created an entire program and staff to very aggressively recruit NMS. Many in the community do not like this approach, but it seems to work for them is the ultimate arguement. Some consider it unethical badgering, but many colleges do it. OSU does not take this approach. If you are a NMS, you get a letter from OSU saying, oh happy day for you, you should come see us if you like. uo has people show up on your doorstep unannounced (did it to me 3 times) and I didn't even have them anywhere in my package. Sure, ok, you may say it makes sense to go get them, but I was still getting phonecalls AFTER I was attending OSU.

I guess they learned the extra phone calls from Sampson and the negative recruiting from darth visor.

Post Count
    Texas A&M built lovely edifices until World War II. Then they decided to get "modern." This resulted in numerous 1950's industrial-style buildings with things like yellow tile on the outside. They looked really bad.
    What was/is that one building just south of Sterling C. Evans? I had a class there once. That was a pretty good example.

Then came the 1970's, when A&M apparently embraced utilitarian Soviet-style architecture consisting of depressing gray concrete, exemplified by Rudder Tower, and some of the Ag buildings on West Campus.
    Don't forget Heldenfels and Blocker.

The school of thought at the time was that it was worth it to save a little bit of taxpayer money even if the resulting building looked terrible.

This was also the period when glaring civil engineering mistakes were made which resulted in strange buildings with reduced utility. For example, the library wing built in the 1970's had two fewer stories than originally planned, because the original engineer forgot to account for the weight of the books, and the resulting reinforcements meant two fewer floors could be fit in the building.

In addition, modular dorms built in the 1970's have rooms on one side shorter than rooms on the other side. This is because at first the architect forgot to include room for the hallway in the frame.
    I remember that.

The Zachry Engineering Building, when it opened in 1979, had a maldesigned HVAC system that exposed students and faculty to toxic fumes from some of the basement labs.

Those sort of mistakes, reflecting basic incompetence, contributed to the impression that Aggies are stupid. If civil engineers and architects made those kind of mistakes in the private sector, it likely would end their careers.

So dumb were those in charge of building things at A&M in the 1970's that a UT architect could run rings around them with a clever prank. The Journalism building was accented with a maroon paint that over a few months oxidized to burnt orange. Since nobody at the school would fund another paint job, journalism students collected some maroonish-looking landscaping rocks and glued them to the orange parts of the building.

The sad state of A&M architecture even into the 1980's was exemplified by the unattractive, non-functional and chronically leaky building the Architecture school erected for itself.

Basic competence was restored by the mid-'80s, but the prevailing theme was still to skimp on aesthetics, so beige and blocky carried the day.

The stuff they were building in the 1990's when I was there at least looked halfway-decent, though the beige theme was pretty much established by then.
    The new engineering building on University looks pretty slick.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    CaptMike was so wanted by OU and by this board... good for him!

You go get 'em, Cowboy!

Post Count
    College Station today has an example of every possible kind of retail development style known to suburban America.

Post Count
    Anyways, the only surprise for me is that A&M didn't place #1 on this list.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Anyways, the only surprise for me is that A&M didn't place #1 on this list.
    I'm quite surprised your face didn't appear #1 on this list

-Aggrot joke via CaptMike

I do have to admit, though, that if you polled A&M students to see who could find Constantinople on a map, basically it would be only the five Orthodox students and maybe two history majors.

Although 10,000 would start humming the song.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Although 10,000 would start humming the song.

Bwaha beat me to it.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    This has to be the slowest work day of all time. We all have absolutely nothing to do.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This has to be the slowest work day of all time. We all have absolutely nothing to do.

thinking the same thing

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

thinking the same thing

here too.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Best college forum day ever?

Thread Information