Still no love for Big East teams, I see. I happened to watch a quick segment on ESPN this am where Corso and Herbstredt began picking which teams would advance in a mock playoff. WVU was up against Kansas and both turkeys picked Kansas to win the game. Kansas?!?! WTF? The ONLY team Kansas has beaten with a winning record was Texas A&M - and they barely won that game. The only other team they played that was worth a spit was Missouri, and they weren't even in that game until they got a couple of meaningless 4Q scores. At least WVU beat two teams that are still ranked in the BCS top-25. Gimme a break!

But I guess it's to be expected. Even if WVU had beaten USF and/or Pitt, people would still think they would be unworthy of a BCS bid - let alone a shot in the NC. I doubt another undefeated bowl season this year for the Big East would make any difference, either, as last year's doesn't seem to bring them any more credibility this year.

Anyway, the Fiesta Bowl. Everyone and their brother seems to be all over Oklahoma in this one. On the surface I can see why - it's Oklahoma, they are ranked #3, WVU had an emotional loss to end their season, blah, blah, blah. But people seem to overlook a few things:

1. Oklahoma has a 2-2 RS away record this year. Not too impressive, especially when those two losses were both against UNRANKED teams. WVU has lost one time on the road (to then #2 - and now #21 - USF) and once at home - both due in part to Pat White not playing in the 2H and the case of turnover-itis.

2. Oklahoma beat Missouri - twice. But, seriously, Missouri? If there was ever two hyped teams this year in CFB, it would have to be Kansas and Missouri. I think Missouri is a very good team, but they (and Kansas) had the luxury of playing not only a weak schedule, but in a conference that was overall weak this year. Oklahoma, IMHO, is the best from the Big-12 without a doubt, but I really don't see that meaning they are some unstoppable force (especially losing to TWO unranked Big-12 foes).

3. Oklahoma hasn't fared so well in recent years when it comes to bowl games. Since 2003, they are 1-3 in bowl games. WVU is slightly better at 2-2, but are 2-0 in the last two years. That includes a victory over Georgia in the 2005 Sugar Bowl in which - strangely coincidental - everyone and their brother were all over the Bulldogs to win.

4. Experience. Oklahoma has a fine young QB, but he has never played in a bowl game before - let alone one at this level. Conversely, WVU is loaded with players who have one or more bowl games under their belt, including some big ones. And these people aren't the kicker or punter, but the QB, RB's, and other key positions.

5. Demoralizing defeat by Pitt will carry over to the bowl game for WVU. I don't buy it for one minute. Last year WVU was 8-1 and all set to not only win the Big East championship, but vie for the chance to play in the NC. USF came to Morgantown, and completely ruined both those chances. Instead of laying down and giving up the next week against a tough Rutgers squad, they won that game and then went on to defeat Georgia Tech in their bowl game.

It should be a good game and despite of what I wrote, I think Oklahoma has a good chance of winning - just not a 99.99% chance like many believe. What I think could very well happen is something similar to the So. Miss game earlier this year and the Sugar Bowl two years ago - WVU will come out and completely dominate the 1Q and 1H and Oklahoma will find themselves down by 3-5 scores. OU will regroup and the 2H will be completely different, which will lead to a very close game.

Oklahoma 35
    West Virginia 38

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    I hope to the ncaa gods that that ing pussy Bradford gets McCoyed again in this game, and OU's Charmin soft secondary gets lit up.

Thread Information