Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    http://www.powerpointplaybook.com/do...pdfspread.html

The Spread Offense Mission

"The Spread Offense exists to put points on the board. Score one more point than the defense does…and your team wins. By using multiple “open” formations and various motions, the Spread Offense is designed to create mismatches in the secondary and attack defensive weaknesses. The Spread Offense, usually run out of the shotgun, was made popular by Coach Mumme (BYU and KU) and Coach Leach (Texas Tech Red Raiders). Peyton Manning and Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady both play in Professional versions of the Spread Offense. These coaches have used the Spread Offense to destroy defenses and develop solid football programs that are respected throughout the nation. The Spread Offense can be very complex…but it is almost always effective."

I tell you what, keep telling yourself that Michigan will run the pass first version of the spread, RR is known for his run version of the spread and nott he passing version, coaches go with what they feel comfortable with and that will be with a running QB similar to what he has at WVa. I am not saying it won't work but I am skeptical due to the pro-style offnese personel that Michigan has recruited over the past decade. Mallet is a square peg in RR's round hole offense and I tihnk Michigan fans better get used to it just like A&M fans had to do with Fran's offenses the last few years. By Reggie McNeal's senior year Fran had turned one of the best passing QB's in school history into a 6th round WR prospect, losses kept piling up and Fran went back to his TCU days of running the ball and controlling the clock. RR will do the same thing after he gets smoked next year trying to re-invent the Michigan wheel.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    At least you admit that the spread doesn't require a mobile QB. Good to see you realize that there is a pass first version of the spread offense.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    The only two QBs you mentioned that came with serious hype were Chad Henne and Ryan Mallet. And, Chad Henne was a stud his first few seasons and ends his career as statistically one of the best QBs in Michigan history. And, Ryan Mallet was a freshman last year backing up Henne, so don't know what expectations he was supposed to have.

Richard, Forcier, and Guitierrez did not have that much hype at all, except from a few UM fanatics that want to make bold predictions.

No one expected Mallet to take the starting job from Henne. What are you on? There were and are very high expectations for the long term because of his size, arm, and potential. No one expected him to have a Peyton Manning year. If Henne didn't get hurt, no one expected him to play much at all. Nice way of spin doctoring the truth. As for Pryor, if he's the stud everyone says he is, he'll be fine no matter what school and program he goes to. Not every stud 5 star high school prospect is going to be a stud in their freshman year. You're talking crazy .

Actually, that's what media and some fans were saying, that they wanted a Michigan man. That's not what Bill Martin said. That's not what Lloyd Carr said. That's not what anyone associated with Michigan football said. In fact, in Lloyd Carr's retirement announcement speech, he specifically said that Bo wasn't a Michigan man and he changed the program. He went to say that the best available candidate should be the next coach. And, no one from the Michigan program said that the next coach had to coach a run oriented offense. Show me quotes. Are you quoting some fans? Fans don't make the hire. As for Rodriguez and defense, that's what will be very important for his success, to improve the defense, especially in recruiting speed in the secondary. I'm not that well versed in WVU's defense, but I heard on the radio that they were actually one of the better defenses in the country. Don't know how accurate that is.

It sounds like a desperation hire because you are an Ohio State fan, you dolt. Rodriguez has had three consecutive 10 win seasons in a BCS conference. He has had four Big East les in the last five seasons. He was an alum of West Virginia and played for the school and Michigan pulled him away from that. That's not desperation. Desperation is going to the Gateway Conference and hiring a I-AA coach after firing a guy that couldn't beat Michigan ... oh, but sometimes "desperation" hires actually work out, huh? Even if you could argue it was a desperation hire, which you really can't, that doesn't mean he won't do a very good job or that he won't be able to beat Ohio State.

I'm not ecstatic about the hire, but everything considered, I think it was a decent hire and I look forward to seeing how he continues to build on the foundation of Michigan football. It's not like Carr left the program in shambles.
    I just read alot how people in Michigan don't want Mallet anymore and would rather have Pryor insted, that's all I'm saying. You give a guy one year, then it's on to someone else.

Also, Matt Gutierrez had about as much hype as you can get coming out of high school. He never lost a game before and Michigan fans ate that up.

And also, the spread is often mistaken for the run-option-read. Texas Tech runs a spread, West Virginia ran a run option. You don't need a mobile QB for the spread, people just misuse the term.

Thunder Dan, I'd appreciate it if you stopped claiming things that are untrue and inaccurate just to be critical of the University of Michigan. You shouldn't have to stoop down to lying.
    I heard what I heard on ESPN. I don't care about Michigan enough to make up about them. All I know is that Bo said that Michigan needed a Michigan man to be the new coach, and the University agreed. Rich is about as much of a Michigan man as Bo was.
    Last edited by Thunder Dan; 12-17-2007 at 02:30 PM.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    "Alot" huh? A few fans say they'd like Pryor and of all of a sudden it's the Michigan fanbase that wants Mallet out? Consider your source. In fact, cite your sources. You make a lot of claims without reference anything. That's fine and dandy, except the claims you make are untrue and inaccurate.

A lot of kids get plenty of hype out of high school and don't live up to that hype in college. Guitierrez did not have that much hype at Michigan except AGAIN by some fanatic Michigan fans that wanted to make bold predictions. And, you talk as if this is unique to Michigan fans. The majority of fans of big name programs hype their own players, especially if they are 5 star blue chippers.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    "Alot" huh? A few fans say they'd like Pryor and of all of a sudden it's the Michigan fanbase that wants Mallet out? Consider your source. In fact, cite your sources. You make a lot of claims without reference anything. That's fine and dandy, except the claims you make are untrue and inaccurate.

A lot of kids get plenty of hype out of high school and don't live up to that hype in college. Guitierrez did not have that much hype at Michigan except AGAIN by some fanatic Michigan fans that wanted to make bold predictions. And, you talk as if this is unique to Michigan fans. The majority of fans of big name programs hype their own players, especially if they are 5 star blue chippers.
    www.scout.com go on the Michigan board and read the discussions. If Mallet is so good than why would they even want to waste a scholarship on Pryor? They would have 3 scholarships tied up in 3 QBs while the starter would still have 3 years left to play.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    Right, what fans would want the number 1 ranked high school player to go to their school? Stupid idiots.

And, a lot of college programs have 3 QBs on scholarship, if not more, even in the days of fewer scholarships. That position is pretty important, I heard.

I'm still waiting for the quotes from "the school" about wanting a Michigan man. You read my Bill Martin quote, I presume.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Right, what fans would want the number 1 ranked high school player to go to their school? Stupid idiots.

I'm still waiting for the quotes from "the school" about wanting a Michigan man. You read my Bill Martin quote, I presume.
    I'll find it when I get home from work.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    And did you read this quote from a month ago by "the school?"

On November 19, Michigan athletic director said this on the next head football coach of Michigan:

"I think it can be someone who does not have direct ties to Michigan. It would be helpful if they did, but it's not necessary in my mind. Bo didn't have any experience here, Fritz Crisler didn't have any experience here, Yost didn't have any experience here."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...ector_bil.html

Thunder Dan, I'd appreciate it if you stopped claiming things that are untrue and inaccurate just to be critical of the University of Michigan. You shouldn't have to stoop down to lying.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    And did you read this quote from a month ago by "the school?"
    I couldn't bring it up because mlive/sports is blocked here. I'll find it, I didn't make it up. It's no big deal he is the coach now. In typical Michigan fashion they failed to find anyone suitable within the whole state of Michigan or the whole Michigan Alumni Association to fill the position. Their coach can now be an implant along with the rest of their team. I find it funny how people in Michigan take such pride in a team that is made up of a bunch of kids from anywhere but Michigan and on top of that, probably 90% of their fans didn't even go to the school in the first place.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    I couldn't bring it up because mlive/sports is blocked here. I'll find it, I didn't make it up. It's no big deal he is the coach now. In typical Michigan fashion they failed to find anyone suitable within the whole state of Michigan or the whole Michigan Alumni Association to fill the position. Their coach can now be an implant along with the rest of their team. I find it funny how people in Michigan take such pride in a team that is made up of a bunch of kids from anywhere but Michigan and on top of that, probably 90% of their fans didn't even go to the school in the first place.

It doesn't matter if you cant bring up mlive. I posted the actual quote. Bill Martin specifically says the next coach didn't have to be a Michigan man. And, you wrote twice in this thread that the school said it wanted a Michigan man. I'm just showing that you were making things up. The "school" didn't say the next coach had to be a Michigan man. Bill Martin didn't say that. Lloyd Carr didn't say that. President Coleman didn't say that. So who said it? Again, I'm just showing your bias in that you have to make up things in order to try to make Michigan look bad.

Michigan didn't narrow its scope of possible candidates to just the State of Michigan or Michigan alums. I don't understand this criticism. It's stupid. You are obviously just saying stupid just to put down Michigan. Get over the little kid . Typical Michigan fashion? Our greatest coach came from Ohio State in Bo. Our presidents have often not been Michigan alums. And, that's with many great schools and great college football programs. I don't understand why you want to harp on this point. It's childish.

You find a lot of stupid funny.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    I find it funny how people in Michigan take such pride in a team that is made up of a bunch of kids from anywhere but Michigan and on top of that, probably 90% of their fans didn't even go to the school in the first place.

Are you kidding me? Every big name school is like that.

And if 90% of OSU fans did go to school in Columbus, that's not something I'd be proud of personally.

And if 90% of OSU fans did go to school in Columbus, that's not something I'd be proud of personally.

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Are you kidding me? Every big name school is like that.

Typical Michigan fan. Michigan fans think that because they root for Michigan they are all of a sudden smarter than Ohio State fans. It doesn't matter that they probably went to Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, or better yet, didn't even go to college, they are still smarter than anyone that went to Ohio State because they root for Michigan. It must suck when your football program has fallen so far down that you have to knock the academics of the rival school of a college you didn't even attend one class at. That is the state of Michigan football right now.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    Typical Michigan fan. Michigan fans think that because they root for Michigan they are all of a sudden smarter than Ohio State fans. It doesn't matter that they probably went to Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, or better yet, didn't even go to college, they are still smarter than anyone that went to Ohio State because they root for Michigan. It must suck when your football program has fallen so far down that you have to knock the academics of the rival school of a college you didn't even attend one class at. That is the state of Michigan football right now.
    Being smarter than someone else has nothing to do with what college one goes to. Are you implying that one who goes to Central Michigan is automatically dumber than someone who goes to OSU?

And I wasn't knocking the academics, I was taking a direct shot at the fans.

Hilarious! I'm surprised someone already did this, but here it is ...

http://www.wvaq.com/upload/file/CoachRodSong.mp3

At least you admit that the spread doesn't require a mobile QB. Good to see you realize that there is a pass first version of the spread offense.
    Clearly the spread has a pass fist version otherwise you wouldn't run out 4 and 5 wides in the formation, I am willing to go head to head with you on football knowledge. The fact is that RichRod runs the spread option attack with a heavy emphasis on the option part, and the fact is Mallett will not be succesful in that type of offense he's 6'-7" and 250 lbs... Pryor would be ideal for that type of attack and if it means Mallett transfers out then its better for the kid and for Michigan.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Being smarter than someone else has nothing to do with what college one goes to. Are you implying that one who goes to Central Michigan is automatically dumber than someone who goes to OSU?
    Fire up Chips!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

So in order to root for a school, you must have attended that school??

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    Clearly the spread has a pass fist version otherwise you wouldn't run out 4 and 5 wides in the formation, I am willing to go head to head with you on football knowledge. The fact is that RichRod runs the spread option attack with a heavy emphasis on the option part, and the fact is Mallett will not be succesful in that type of offense he's 6'-7" and 250 lbs... Pryor would be ideal for that type of attack and if it means Mallett transfers out then its better for the kid and for Michigan.
    Coaches run offenses that best suit the personnel of the team. Rich Rodriguez does not run an option spread. He runs the spread. Depending on what type of QB he has, he will design sets and schemes to suit that QB's strengths. I don't know why it's such a difficult notion to comprehend. There is a version of the spread offense that is pass oriented. Because Mallet is not as mobile as Pat White, the sets will be based more on the pass. It's ridiculous that you can't comprehend this.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I have no axe to grind in this one (and frankly, you UM / tOSU guys are way more civilized than I expected) but my point from earlier remains legit. Coach Rod was blessed with mobile QB's in every season he has been successful since joining D-1 as an OC at Tulane.

According to coacheshotseat.com (http://coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm) Rodriguez now makes about 300K a year more than Tressel. For that money, I would hope he can utilize his preferred spread O with an immobile guy like Mallett. But it goes against his track record.

Carr went 6-2 in conference play after getting beaten by App State and Oregon, winning 8 straight games overall after an 0-2 start. Then they lost to a nine win Wisconsin team and then to national finalist Ohio State. It's rare enough that a 8-4 team wins all eight in a row midseason, and I can understand why the Blue wants more.

If Rod goes 8-4 and loses to Ohio State, are you going to run his ass out of town?

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    I was actually living in New Orleans when Shaun King was at Tulane. I was there when Tommy Bowden had his undefeated season. Shaun King was not really an option QB. He was very much a pocket passer with a big arm (by college standards) who could run. While mobile, Shaun King was more of a pocket passer than a option scrambler at QB. I agree Shaun King was mobile, but it would be a misrepresentation to say he was similar to Pat White or that he was an option QB.

He threw the ball a lot. And, one thing about Ryan Mallet, he is supposed to be pretty agile and mobile for 6-7, 250. Now, that's not saying he's Vince Young agile, but from what Michigan football insiders say, he's capable of moving around the pocket. Whether that would equate to him being able to scramble 40-50 yards per game, probably not. But, he's not a frankenstein under center, plus in a spread, he'll likely be in the shotgun a lot which will give him extra time to scramble in the pocket if need be.

As for what you say about Carr, I'm not sure why you brought any of that up. Lloyd Carr was not fired. He retired. And, just because fans wanted more especially out of the offense in terms of creativity, it doesn't mean what Lloyd Carr did wasn't appreciated. He always had winning seasons. He always got Michigan into a bowl game. He won a National Championship. He would always win 8 games (only one year he didn't). But, it's not wrong for fans to want more. You go from bad to good, good to great, great to outstanding. Fans wanted outstanding. Fans of all schools want that.

If Rod goes 8-4, he'll be fine, especially his first few seasons. He won't be run out of town. But, at the same time, there will be plenty of Michigan fans who will still be disappointed by 8-4. That's just how some fans are.

Coaches run offenses that best suit the personnel of the team. Rich Rodriguez does not run an option spread. He runs the spread. Depending on what type of QB he has, he will design sets and schemes to suit that QB's strengths. I don't know why it's such a difficult notion to comprehend. There is a version of the spread offense that is pass oriented. Because Mallet is not as mobile as Pat White, the sets will be based more on the pass. It's ridiculous that you can't comprehend this.
    OK, I think its you who does not comprehend, I will bet you whatever amount that when Rodriguez has success at Michigan it will not be Mallet who is leading the team, 2:1 odds that Mallett transfers out. Go look at what Rodriguez calls his offense, he runs the spread option just like Meyer does at Florida, they are the two leadres of that movement. Take a little time from trying to be an internet bully and look it up. I did one google search and got this:

"A newer form of the option offense, the spread option, combines an option running offense with a spread formation. Spread option offenses generally run out of the shotgun formation, usually with a single running back. Depending on the quarterback's read, he will generally hand off to the running back, run the ball himself, or pass This offense was primarily devised by Rich Rodriguez, the current head coach at Michigan, and has been adopted by several other important college programs. Notably, Urban Meyer adapted the offense to add more passing elements, and has used it successfully first at Bowling Green, then at Utah (becoming the first team outside the BCS conferences to participate in a BCS bowl game), and now at Florida, where he won the 2006 national championship with it. In the second-tier Division I FCS, the Appalachian State Mountaineers won three consecutive national les and managed a historic upset of Michigan with the offense."

So you can comprehend I highlighted the important parts...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure that Mallett (if this is the Texarkana kid I remember) runs a 5.2 or higher. Rod could make him a spread legend if the scheme is right but I don't think he's fast enough on his feet to handle the variety of defenses that a D comes up with to stop that attack. Mallett has a tight end and at least one starting lineman faster than him 40-wise.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    OK, I think its you who does not comprehend, I will bet you whatever amount that when Rodriguez has success at Michigan it will not be Mallet who is leading the team, 2:1 odds that Mallett transfers out. Go look at what Rodriguez calls his offense, he runs the spread option just like Meyer does at Florida, they are the two leadres of that movement. Take a little time from trying to be an internet bully and look it up. I did one google search and got this:

"A newer form of the option offense, the spread option, combines an option running offense with a spread formation. Spread option offenses generally run out of the shotgun formation, usually with a single running back. Depending on the quarterback's read, he will generally hand off to the running back, run the ball himself, or pass This offense was primarily devised by Rich Rodriguez, the current head coach at Michigan, and has been adopted by several other important college programs. Notably, Urban Meyer adapted the offense to add more passing elements, and has used it successfully first at Bowling Green, then at Utah (becoming the first team outside the BCS conferences to participate in a BCS bowl game), and now at Florida, where he won the 2006 national championship with it. In the second-tier Division I FCS, the Appalachian State Mountaineers won three consecutive national les and managed a historic upset of Michigan with the offense."

So you can comprehend I highlighted the important parts...

How many times do I have to type this before it actually sinks in? Good coaches structure their offense to their players strengths. Rodriguez has had mobile QBs in the past and that's the reason his offenses have been more run oriented with the QB. That is not Mallet's strengths. But, Mallet's talent and potential is undeniable. Rodriguez can easily tweak his offensive sets to take that into consideration.

I won't sit here and say it's completely out of the question that Mallet could transfer. I don't know what Mallet is thinking about the hire and I don't know what Rodriguez's plans are for the offense. Anything can happen. My point is and has been that a mobile QB is not a requirement to run the spread offense or have success with the spread offense.

Your little quote does nothing to counter that point.

Thread Information