Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    How many times do I have to type this before it actually sinks in? Good coaches structure their offense to their players strengths. Rodriguez has had mobile QBs in the past and that's the reason his offenses have been more run oriented with the QB. That is not Mallet's strengths. But, Mallet's talent and potential is undeniable. Rodriguez can easily tweak his offensive sets to take that into consideration.

I won't sit here and say it's completely out of the question that Mallet could transfer. I don't know what Mallet is thinking about the hire and I don't know what Rodriguez's plans are for the offense. Anything can happen. My point is and has been that a mobile QB is not a requirement to run the spread offense or have success with the spread offense.

Your little quote does nothing to counter that point.
    Your point was that Rodriguez runs a spread and not the spread option, and I think I have proven my point, you can throw out the good coaches taylor thoer offense around personel bit but the fact of the matter is coaches go with what they are comfortable with and Rodriguez is more comfortable coaching the spread option version. Shawn King did run his offense in college but that was before he added in a lot of the option stuff, his offense has evolved into what he is doing at WVa, so a mobile QB IS a requirement to run Rodriguez's offense. There is no way to end this argument other than to wait and see, however I don't think you stating that you can run a spread with out a mobile QB is a real break through, of course you can but that is not the point.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    If Rod goes 8-4 and loses to Ohio State, are you going to run his ass out of town?
    did you see him melt during the pressure of the Pitt game? I can't wait to see him at the Shoe in front of 107k people, he will probably his pants and run home to mom. I can't wait to see him face some of that Michigan/Ohio State pressure. He seriously looked like he wanted to cry during a game against Pitt (PITT!). He will probably die of hypertension before the Sparty game next year.

did you see him melt during the pressure of the Pitt game? I can't wait to see him at the Shoe in front of 107k people, he will probably his pants and run home to mom. I can't wait to see him face some of that Michigan/Ohio State pressure. He seriously looked like he wanted to cry during a game against Pitt (PITT!). He will probably die of hypertension before the Sparty game next year.
    I doubt it's true, but I've heard rumors abound that say Rod threw the game just so he wouldn't have to go through this mess (saying bye to WVU and o to Michigan) while being one of the two teams in the NC. I also heard a rumor where Pat White may be investigated by the NCAA for throwing said game, too. The rumor is he had a friend who placed two $5,000 wagers on the game for Pitt to win SU. Of course, I don't believe either rumor at all.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    Wow you want to look at every little thing to bash Michigan. The guy cares about winning and losing. He was emotional after losing to his school's chief rival and losing the opportunity to go to the National Championship game. What a lame!

How many more re ed blasts do you have?

Where are those quotes from the "school" that Michigan wanted a Michigan man for the next coach?

Rodriguez (after declining the HC job at Alabama last year and getting what he wanted from the WVU administration in a form of a contract extension, upgraded facilities, etc):

"When the details [of the new contract with WVU] come out, you’ll see that I’m committed to West Virginia University for a very, very long time."

Michigan can have the two-faced SOB. Kind of tells me what kind of coach they are willing to get.

Post Count
    Rodriguez (after declining the HC job at Alabama last year and getting what he wanted from the WVU administration in a form of a contract extension, upgraded facilities, etc):

"When the details [of the new contract with WVU] come out, you’ll see that I’m committed to West Virginia University for a very, very long time."

Michigan can have the two-faced SOB. Kind of tells me what kind of coach they are willing to get.
    And if you read everything, you would know that Rodriguez had a declining relationship with their athletic department, and was mad at them for failing to provide the facilities and such that were promised to the team. FYI...during the Michigan thing, he had no problems with his salary staying what it currently was...it was all about the team.

And if you read everything, you would know that Rodriguez had a declining relationship with their athletic department, and was mad at them for failing to provide the facilities and such that were promised to the team. FYI...during the Michigan thing, he had no problems with his salary staying what it currently was...it was all about the team.
    Yes, while I'm aware that there was a rift b/w he and the athletic department over some issues. However, if he was that disgruntled (which at this point is debatable), why would he make such a bold (and public) statement? Regardless, to leave the team hanging in that matter just pours salt in the wound. You can have him. Just better hope he doesn't have a tantrum at UM (if he's around that long).

Post Count
    Michigan can provide him whatever he wants...WVU couldn't

Thats the nature of college football head coach. Coaches continually take the bigger job untill they become head coach of a major program. Its always been that way. Mack was bashed by NC for leaving for Texas, but its a better job. Same thing with Urban Meyer, now Rodriguez for taking the Michigan job??? Its an easy choice.
    Michigan>West Virginia. And while you are with a program, you have to say the right things like "Im commited to this job". Why say something like "I'll be here untill the next best thing becomes avaliable". Who is going to follow someone who says that. I don't blame guys like Rodriguez for taking a better job, just like I won't blame Harabaugh(sp?) if he leaves Stanford for a better job. Its eventually going to happen.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Well, remember what happened when Michigan poached your hoops coach six months ago.

April 6th, 2007

March 23rd, 2006

I don't get the notion that coaches (or any employee) should have some sort of undying loyalty to their employer. You think an employer is going to give you notice and take care of you if they want to fire you?

You do the best job you can and do whats best for you and your family. If that means moving on then you move on.

I was going to respond to some of these comments, but I feel I'd just be beating a dead horse. Suffice it to say we agree to disagree on not WHY he left, but the cir stances of HOW he left.

BTW, some interesting things are beginning to surface ....

http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=32693

WVU went to the ends of the earth to keep the coach here – and clearly, some of our major donors assisted the school in that effort. ? His salary was increased by 70 percent. ? His assistants salaries were increased ? We built a $2 million academic center for the team ? We have started construction on a $6 million locker room renovation

There were some very minor issues that he raised with the administration – and people were working on them. I think you will agree that the things that are being talked about are pretty minor in comparison to what has been done already.

But he clearly was looking for excuse to leave—he looked last year, and again this year.

But when he went to visit another team, and then came back to campus with demands based on those minor issues – university officials simply told him they would continue to work the issues. He was asked to focus on the student athletes and the upcoming bowl game. There’s a long off-season coming up to work out those sorts of minor issues. Whoever comes in as coach will know that they can count on support from WVU on big issues and small issues.”

Well, remember what happened when Michigan poached your hoops coach six months ago.
    Yep. BTW, how is Michigan doing this year in BB? And how is WVU doing?

link

[WVU Athletic Director Ed Pastilong] was one of three men that arrived on a plane late Tuesday night from Mount Pleasant, Michigan. That is the location of Central Michigan University. Former WVU Assistant Coach Butch Jones is currently the head coach at Central Michigan. He led the Chippewas to a MAC championship in his first season as head coach. Central Michigan will meet Purdue in the Motor City Bowl on December 26th.

In a related story, an anonymous and reliable source confirmed that former Auburn head coach and Morgantown native Terry Bowden officially interviewed for the WVU head coaching position Tuesday morning in Morgantown. Our source said Bowden felt the interview went well. He also called this a dream job.
    Last edited by NoMoneyDown; 12-19-2007 at 02:52 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Yep. BTW, how is Michigan doing this year in BB? And how is WVU doing?
    Michigan 4-7

WVU 8-1

Post Count
    Michigan 4-7

WVU 8-1
    He didn't want the records. Its something that people use against Michigan because Beilein was WVU coach as well. They think that he sucks because his record is bad. They just don't know the program was when he inherited it.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    He didn't want the records. Its something that people use against Michigan because Beilein was WVU coach as well. They think that he sucks because his record is bad. They just don't know the program was when he inherited it.
    My bad.

I think Beilein has a chance to be good....he just needs to be shown some patience.

Time will tell. Hey, the WVU women's BB team is 10-1 and ranked #13. About time for Michigan to come calling, eh? Can't grow 'em themselves, so have to go out and take 'em from other teams. Payback from WVU getting Nehlen years ago, perhaps?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    First it was "Bring in Les Miles...he's a Michigan man"

Then it was "Rich Rodriguez is perfect, we need a change, its ok that he is not a Michigan man"

Now that Rodriguez announced that none of the assistants would be retained...its all "What? They are Michigan men! He can't do that."

Its not all Michigan fans obviously but damn people, use some turn signals or something!!

Post Count
    First it was "Bring in Les Miles...he's a Michigan man"

Then it was "Rich Rodriguez is perfect, we need a change, its ok that he is not a Michigan man"

Now that Rodriguez announced that none of the assistants would be retained...its all "What? They are Michigan men! He can't do that."

Its not all Michigan fans obviously but damn people, use some turn signals or something!!

Those Michigan fans who are crying b/c he let go every assistant coach has to ask themselves one question: Are you happy with the status quo? If Michigan football wants to get to a level of of O$U or USC, broad changes need to be made. For too long Michigan and its fans have tried to live off of the program's history and tradition. Well, history and tradition might go a long way in putting asses in the seats, but it doesn't do jack about the on the field performance. Fresh blood and a different approach are whats needed to take the next step, and I am glad that coach Rod had the balls to do what he did. It tells me he isn't scared or intimidated by the Big Blue wall, but that he sees it as an oppurtunity to take a huge leap up and become a top tier program. I, for one am not crying for those coaches, as Lloyd got them two year deals last year, so they can sit on their ass next year and collect a six-figure paycheck and look for another coaching job.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Well said. It seems like some of them think that a new approach is somehow dishonoring Bo or the program. They forget that one of the biggest transitions in Michigan football history was when Bo was hired. Every so often you have to shake things up to prevent stagnation which is exactly what has happened in Ann Arbor.

Post Count
    They re-hired Jackson.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Is that a good move?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It's to keep the stud tailback from Houston that committed there, correct? It also can't hurt to have a black dude that's been coaching up there in Ann Arbor for fifteen years to continuing combing the South for talent.

Post Count
    Is that a good move?

yes. keeps McGuffie here, plus he gets very good rb to come here.

Thread Information