Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Speaking of artificial levels of expectations...

Before this season only six of the Big 12 teams had even played for the conference le (OU, UT, and A&M in the South plus Nebraska, K-State, and Colorado in the North) and each program listed has won it at least once. That's in twelve seasons of league operation and UT's le year was the first win since James Brown beat Nebraska and only their second overall.

The only team that is consistently winning this conference is OU, with five les. Screw all this 'contending yearly for the national le every season' talk just because it happened once and came close a couple of others fairly recently.

It should still be the main priority for the Longhorns to win the Big 12 and let whatever happen happen from that point. Beating three or four cupcakes, handling OU, and running the rest of the conference table should be enough to merit consideration. When the team loses to K-State and A&M in consecutive years - let alone Oklahoma this one - they're not even on the right path.

Screw all this 'contending yearly for the national le every season' talk just because it happened once and came close a couple of others fairly recently.

You're not disappointed when UT is knocked out of contention for the mnc? It's not a realistic expectation to contend for it yearly, when you ALWAYS win 10 games. Are you ing serious????

Happening once and coming close several times is a big ing deal, considering the number of college programs.

I mean, I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

If not, I'd recommend a nice warm bath, with extra toasters.

Post Count
    You win it for the first time in 35 years and now you expect to win it every year? Maybe you should be the one hitting the kitchen for some appliances to join you in your bath.

You win it for the first time in 35 years and now you expect to win it every year? Maybe you should be the one hitting the kitchen for some appliances to join you in your bath.
    If you don't expect to contend yearly, then you're ing mediocre. That's it.

Post Count
    If you expect to win it every year you should get out more.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas, despite seven straight years of ten win seasons, only has one conference le in two appearances in the Big 12 le game during that span, with two BCS game invites. You can't win the national le if you can't win your conference (that '03 OU squad doesn't count - only BCS at large team to ever make le game). The Longhorns haven't done that consistently enough at this point.

Does going Holiday, Cotton, Holiday, Rose, Rose, Alamo, and Holiday make a team a perennial contender?

I don't think or expect Texas to win every year. Go read the Bowl Predictions thread if you want to see where I qualified my statement in this thread.

It is meaningless because it doesn't lead anywhere. It's just a consolation prize of pride, just like an end of regular season game between two teams with no hope for the playoffs. IMO, postseason play shouldn't include games with no chance to advance or go anywhere. I don't think UT should have won the le this year, I think they shouldn't have even been playing a game to begin with since they ed up enough during the regular season to not earn the right to play postseason football. I'm just so sick of this bowl game bull and want to see this le decided on the field. Top 16 teams battle for one spot.

If you're going to comment on my statements at least go in the right direction. Saying I'm a homer fanboy that expects his team to win the le every season is stupid seeing how I've been slamming this team for having no balls and have been slamming this bowl system on here for months. JGW is just too stupid to put 2 & 2 together and figure that out.

Post Count

If you expect to win it every year you should get out more.
    Not only do you put words in my mouth, but this makes no ing sense. I'm never responding to you again.

As for the other points, I obviously don't realistically expect to win every year. However, competing for the national le is the goal, and when we fall short of that goal, it's a disappointment. Any top program should feel the same way. j-6, yes we are a perennial contender, as a team that wins 10 games yearly, our talent pool is top tier. Therefore we should expect to be in the picture every season, and when we get knocked out, I'm pissed.

I'm simply arguing that a school with our performance this decade, we should set the mnc as the ultimate goal every year.

You have to raise your expectations beyond what you're used to (referring to your bowl list) in order to progress. This was the entire point of my original reply.

Post Count
    I'm never responding to you again.

Come on man, be strong.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That was a good game by Texas. Does anyone think that this defensive performance will save Akina's job, or is he gone regardless?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I think it will save him...sadly 52 points will keep Greg Davis in Austin as well.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    One thing I noticed is that an offensive line consisting of 3 sophmores, one junior, and one freshman played a damn good game. I was surprised that Texas' offensive line was very good while ASU's offensive line got run over. I knew they gave up a lot of sacks, but a lot of that is Carpenter being too stupid to either break the pocket or throw the ball away. What I didn't expect was for ASU to have negative rushing yards until garbage time. Talk about getting dominated at the point of attack. That Texas defensive line allowed Akina to go to some delayed blitzes and corner blitzes to really hammer Carpenter.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    I don't see how giving up 34 points is a positive for any D coordinator.

The defense is poorly coached.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I don't see how giving up 34 points is a positive for any D coordinator.

The defense is poorly coached.
    7 points were a free gift from the refs and 14 came in garbage time when the game was over.

I don't think or expect Texas to win every year. Go read the Bowl Predictions thread if you want to see where I qualified my statement in this thread.

It is meaningless because it doesn't lead anywhere. It's just a consolation prize of pride, just like an end of regular season game between two teams with no hope for the playoffs. IMO, postseason play shouldn't include games with no chance to advance or go anywhere. I don't think UT should have won the le this year, I think they shouldn't have even been playing a game to begin with since they ed up enough during the regular season to not earn the right to play postseason football. I'm just so sick of this bowl game bull and want to see this le decided on the field. Top 16 teams battle for one spot.

If you're going to comment on my statements at least go in the right direction. Saying I'm a homer fanboy that expects his team to win the le every season is stupid seeing how I've been slamming this team for having no balls and have been slamming this bowl system on here for months. JGW is just too stupid to put 2 & 2 together and figure that out.
    no....i think your current disposition on anything but the national championship bowl game is foolish. and it is. the other bowls, most of them, mean a whole of a lot.

t.u.'s win over ASU helps recruiting, confidence, momentum into next year, the coaching staff, and means more money to the program. its a no brainer, and i cannot believe you don't see that, perhaps you refuse to.

...sit the team next year, cause they aren't winning the le.

My Team
    North Texas Mean Green
    Post Count
    UT with their wealth of five and fours stars just managed to beat a team with above average recruiting. And yet some of the longhorns act as if they've defeated Goliath.

Man, UT fans have persecution complexes.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Akina might just stick to the DBs and have someone else come in to run the whole defense.

GD needs to go though...

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    MB do you seriously think if you add up the gayness of all longhorn and aggie pictures, on the entire internets, that the longhorn pictures would exceed the gayness of the aggie pictures?

give me a break
    i LOL over the fact that you actually wasted precious time to look those up

incorrect.

For 3 quarters, we handled ASU very well. The 4th quarter was kinda mehhhh with Colt making some bad decisions and ASU getting some garbage time touchdowns but we needed this win for the final standings and to see the young talent we have.

the 4th quarter was the most points t.u. scored in any quarter but the 1st, and t.u. also scored a TD with about 2 minutes left. ASU's back2back TD's near the end of the game were drives of 78 and 65 yards...nothing garbage about that.

if you want to call ASU's game play garbage?...i'm with you, they had 4 turnovers to t.u.'s 1. that being said, t.u. worked them.

no....i think your current disposition on anything but the national championship bowl game is foolish. and it is. the other bowls, most of them, mean a whole of a lot.

t.u.'s win over ASU helps recruiting, confidence, momentum into next year, the coaching staff, and means more money to the program. its a no brainer, and i cannot believe you don't see that, perhaps you refuse to.

...sit the team next year, cause they aren't winning the le.
    These bowl games mean some money and a bit of exposure, but that's a price you easily pay to be just like every other legitimate sport who crowns their champion on the field/court. There is no reason other than collective greed for there to be no playoff system. Saying these bowl games are meaningless is a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but in a way they are relatively meaningless compared to a postseason game that has advancement and a shot at the NC at stake.

UT has never won a basketball le, but that's not because they weren't given every opportunity to claim it. College football has tons of teams who have gotten shafted and didnt get the opportunity to claim the le.

These bowl games mean some money and a bit of exposure, but that's a price you easily pay to be just like every other legitimate sport who crowns their champion on the field/court. There is no reason other than collective greed for there to be no playoff system. Saying these bowl games are meaningless is a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but in a way they are relatively meaningless compared to a postseason game that has advancement and a shot at the NC at stake.

UT has never won a basketball le, but that's not because they weren't given every opportunity to claim it. College football has tons of teams who have gotten shafted and didnt get the opportunity to claim the le.
    thats your most logical response on the issue, although we disagree on the bowl's level of importance. so, will t.u. sit their guys next year?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    I just think its funny that the most dominant opponent that USC has to face in their grueling conference, the conference of champions, the Pac-10, barely managed to reach THIRTY RUSHING YARDS in their bowl game, against an overrated, tea-sip, t.u., university of texas that lost to a&m 38 - 30.
    This is the powerhouse that USC barely managed to share a conference championship with.

Wow. Just....Wow.

I just think its funny that the most dominant opponent that USC has to face in their grueling conference, the conference of champions, the Pac-10, barely managed to reach THIRTY RUSHING YARDS in their bowl game, against an overrated, tea-sip, t.u., university of texas that lost to a&m 38 - 30.
    This is the powerhouse that USC barely managed to share a conference championship with.

Wow. Just....Wow.
    i know your just trying to be annoying, but you're looking like a fool.

....Oregon w/Dennis Dixon.

Thread Information