My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Quality hire Horns. Now let's get Darrell Scott. Damn. Auburn is going to be pissed that we keep taking their coaches.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Our program's dirty-sexy-money affair with Auburn continues. This is the real reason Varsity didn't want the Ags to hire Tommy T. If Tuberville left, how would we ever get DC's worth a damn?

Where did you hear that it was a hire? All I've seen is that they brought Muschamp in for an interview today, but I haven't heard anything about a hire yet.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ing sweet...

dude is intense to say the least...check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeby6qHlDA

Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    My Team
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Post Count
    nice pickup for the horns. Last time ya'll took a DC from Auburn it turned out pretty good.

If it becomes official then this is a damn nice key to the team. This kind of fired up mofo is the kind of guy that this defense needs to be really good. I'm expecting good things if Muschamp is shaping the defense and calling plays next year.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Where did you hear that it was a hire? All I've seen is that they brought Muschamp in for an interview today, but I haven't heard anything about a hire yet.
    Orangebloods and the Auburn Rivals site. If it's not true then they blew their load.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Winner winner, chicken dinner...
    Auburn's Muschamp to call defensive shots for Texas Longhorns

08:00 PM CST on Friday, January 4, 2008
    By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
    [email protected]

AUSTIN – For the second time in four years, Longhorns coach Mack Brown has raided Tommy Tuberville's staff at Auburn to find a defensive play-caller.

Brown announced Friday that Will Muschamp has accepted the job as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Texas.

Muschamp, 36, replaces Larry Mac Duff, who served as co-coordinator and linebackers coach this season and resigned Wednesday. Duane Akina called the plays on defense for Texas in 2007. Akina will be the assistant head coach in charge of the secondary.

Texas will pay Muschamp upward of $400,000, according to a source. As co-coordinators this season, Akina and Mac Duff both earned $300,000.

"We're thrilled to have Will joining our staff," Brown said. "He's a bright, young, high-energy coach who has gained a great deal of experience and had a lot of success in working for tremendous coaches in Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville and Roy Kidd.

"He built a defense at LSU that helped them become one of the nation's most dominant units for several years, including a national championship in 2003, and he's done the same thing at Auburn."

Brown also hired Gene Chizik from Auburn in 2004. Chizik spent two years at Texas, including UT's national le season in 2005, before taking the head coaching position at Iowa State.

Muschamp was a walk-on safety at Georgia from 1991 to 1994, when Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis and offensive line coach Mac McWhorter were on the Bulldogs staff.

"Greg Davis and Mac McWhorter both know Will very well, having worked with him as a player at Georgia, and they both highly recommended him," Brown said. "Our entire staff had a chance to spend some time with him on Thursday and all really enjoyed him."

In his six years as a coordinator at Auburn and LSU, Muschamp's defenses ranked among the nation's top 10 in total defense four times and scoring defense three times.

"I'm really excited about the opportunity to work for Mack Brown and the University of Texas," Muschamp said. "Having followed the Longhorns as a player, coach and fan of college football, I always had a lot of respect for the program, but after visiting the campus, I'm even more impressed."

Under Akina, UT's defense was eighth nationally against the run (93.4 yards per game) but gave up 25.3 points per game and a school record for total yards (4,825) and passing yards per game (277.8).

Under Muschamp, Auburn was fifth nationally in scoring defense (16.7 ppg), eighth in total defense (298.3 ypg), seventh against the pass (179 ypg) and 26th against the run (119.3 ypg).

Muschamp was on Saban's staff at LSU when the Tigers won the BCS national le in 2003. That defense, which included the Cowboys' Marcus Spears and Bradie James, led the nation in points allowed, giving up 11.0 points per game.

Muschamp was the defensive coordinator under Saban with the Miami Dolphins in 2005 before moving to Auburn in 2006.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Incredible :]

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    Are we supposed to be happy?

Our defense was going to be better by default with the coming inevitable breakout season of Norton, Kindle, Muckleroy, and the emergence of Keenan Robinson

This still does not change the fact that UT is heading towards another OU-won conference le....Colt McCoy is fixing to go back to square one without a threat like Jamaal in the backfield next to him.

Muschamp calling the plays should make a big difference. Akina was too loyal to the older yet slower LB and called some ty games, and that killed us. If he can get this defense in that 16.7 ppg allowed range then they'll win a lot of games provided the offensive line plays like they did in the bowl game and McCoy is consistent. The key is the O line - when they were good McCoy was good. When they were decimated with injury and were really green McCoy rushed a lot and looked like . I think the running game will be fine if the O line is solid.

Dare I say it...

Could this be...

Our Mike Stoops? Oklahoma's been weak when it counts since that crazy ass, intense motha a left.

Post Count
    I don't think it was Akina being too loyal--he probably had Mack Brown whispering in his ear. Mack Brown is the one who is notorious for being loyal and honoring seniors with playing time. (BTW, how cool was it to see Senior Drew Kelson get that fastsack in the Holiday Bowl? He's the one senior that got scarfed this entire season.)
    However I think the emergence of Norton as a starting LB in the Holiday Bowl (Who did he replace? Bobino or Killebrew?) shows that as a whole, MAck Brown will probably ease up on this play-the-seniors business.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    without a threat like Jamaal in the backfield next to him.
    Eh. If we land Darrell Scott, that would make up for losing Jamal. If we lose Finley however....

Well, I guess it wouldn't matter since Jesus Boy never throws to him anyway.
    Last edited by Kermit; 01-05-2008 at 12:24 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Now we have another good defensive coordinator after we lost Chizik

Post Count
    Sounds like Pyrite to me brahhhhhhh

Thread Information