Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    JGW, what kind of rep usage should I be doing.

I hear people swear by 5x5, and others 3x8, 4x6, etc.

What's the diff? I know that the more you do does NOT help you cut. I want something effective for gains... or bulk

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

What's the diff? I know that the more you do does NOT help you cut. I want something effective for gains... or bulk

4x6 is what I use and I pyramid up, and then back down.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    My pants aren't that low. They look low because I was about ready to take them off.
    You must have magical jeans, then.

Mine don't usually sag a couple of inches in anticipation of being removed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    I pulled them down using force.

I don't know why you are nagging your vagina over it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

I haven't mentioned any of this to my vagina.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I've worked myself up to five pushups.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

It's because you are so full of crap.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I've worked myself up to five pushups.
    At the same time?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    I am no wigger. I don't sag. I wear fitted clothing. off now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Speaking of diets and and supplements... I don't use any supplements, I just eat a load of calories everyday. High protein, fat, carbs, whatever...I eat ty food all the time but I get a lot of good in too. I actually do the opposite of what ATRAIN said, I pack my stomach with food before goin to bed. Keep in mind though my metabolism is ing rediculous...after hearing this you would expect me to be a fat piece of but I have no fat on my body. About a month ago I got sick and didn't eat for about 3 days and layed around doing nothing in bed for a good 6 days, and I lost 15 pounds...which was roughly 10% of my total body weight at the time (I was at 155 then).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    Well Norcal has gained some progress from the last time I saw his picture. My only advice is too eat more. Your young and your metabolism is pretty sharp, so eating more will gain you more weight.

I'm pretty much about the same, I've probably put on some definition and strength, but no real muscle gain/bulk, I've only gained about 5 pounds in the last month or so, currently at 173-175lbs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns

Bill Starr's 5x5 program is the . Really anything within the 4-6 rep range is the best for increasing muscular strength. And regardless of the program, if you want to gain weight, diet is far and away the most important part. Try to take in 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and around 4000 calories (try to keep it low fat) and you should be good.

And don't neglect your lower body. The only way you're going to be gaining consistent weight is if you build your program around squats and deadlifts, everything else should be secondary. Speaking of squats, if you want to see some serious results in a short amount of time, look up the Smolov Squat Cycle. I'm in the middle of it right now myself, and while it's a huge (it'll hurt walking up stairs the first few weeks), it definitely gets results and is IMO the best way to build up lower body strength.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

after i warm up i perform anywhere from 2-4 sets depending on how i feel and the reps i have chosen. i mix it up. the reps change each workout but usually stay between 2-7, and i prefer 3-5 for core lifts such as squats, bench, dead-lift, etc. one week a month i might throw in some higher reps just to mix it up and give my body a break, usually in the 10-12 range. but lower reps are going to help you with power and strength.

another thing lifters usually ignore is the speed of the rep. try to do the motion as quickly as possible...this will increase your power as you are increasing the speed to which you move the weight. very good for sports. i try to pick a weight i can lift quickly no matter the sets and reps.

old dirt and another poster brought up some good points. eat as healthy as you can as much as you can, calories and quality ones at that, are extremely important.

...anyway, as for weight lifting in general...i'm a proponent of less is more. don't over train your body.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    More proteins help your metabolism.

If you want a gain try to add more carbs in the diet. rice, pasta etc. do not forget about fat. Buy an Omega-3 in a drug store. Or add the olive oil or grape oil to your diet.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A trainer at my gym is offering this type of workout. He just started these classes and they are awesome!

I just did the warm-ups yesterday and I am sore! Today he just did some fitness tests to see where my fitness levels are. I also like that he's not just throwing me in there. Tomorrow is rest day and then I do the warm-ups on Thursday and Friday (which are a lunge stretch, air squats, sit ups, push ups, jump pull ups (because I can't do a regular one), back extension, tricep dips...lather, rinse repeat for 3x). Weekends are off. Then on Monday, he'll see if I'm ready for the Workout of the Day (which changes daily). My heart rate was definitely up there!

http://www.crossfit.com/

If you come across this at your gym, I recommend checking it out. I'm sure JGW will think it's a load of crap!

p.s. Katy, did you ever join a different gym?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm still at Golds. They renovated the one I go to, which is nice. I also figured out a block of time after work when I can go and actually use the cardio equipment without having to wait for people to get off.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm still at Golds. They renovated the one I go to, which is nice. I also figured out a block of time after work when I can go and actually use the cardio equipment without having to wait for people to get off.

kaaaty...........kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattty...KAYTTTTTT TTTTY I still think of Family Guy .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A trainer at my gym is offering this type of workout. He just started these classes and they are awesome!

I just did the warm-ups yesterday and I am sore! Today he just did some fitness tests to see where my fitness levels are. I also like that he's not just throwing me in there. Tomorrow is rest day and then I do the warm-ups on Thursday and Friday (which are a lunge stretch, air squats, sit ups, push ups, jump pull ups (because I can't do a regular one), back extension, tricep dips...lather, rinse repeat for 3x). Weekends are off. Then on Monday, he'll see if I'm ready for the Workout of the Day (which changes daily). My heart rate was definitely up there!

http://www.crossfit.com/

If you come across this at your gym, I recommend checking it out. I'm sure JGW will think it's a load of crap!

cross fit is great, actually.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    cross fit is great, actually.
    I agree. And the best part is that he isn't charging for the classes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I agree. And the best part is that he isn't charging for the classes.
    thats very generous, sweet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well your actually doing a good plan. If your consuming enough protein in your diet, then you really don't need to use whey protein. Make sure to eat a good breakfast everyday, a nice light lunch, then for dinner a protein shake will do the trick. Try not to eat at least 3 hours before you go to bed. I usually use 7 as a cut off time. This is all of course if your trying to cut lbs. Mix in cardio with a weight training program and remember change it up. I usually do chest 2 times a week, once monday, once friday. Biceps, triceps, on tue and sat. Shoulders wed. Back thursday. Legs on sunday (I hate working out legs). If you do a lot of cardio, remember you will lose muscle before fat. I suggest to monitor your heart rate at keep it at your recommended rate for your age and weight. Other supplimets like creatine work, but only if used properly so if you don't need them don't use them. More importantly get plenty or rest/sleep and drink plenty of water.
    1) he needs to eat more calories than a light lunch and a protein shake for dinner. he needs to focus on carbs, americans get enough protein as it is

2) if he is trying to bulk up he needs to eat before he goes to bed and much more

3) you won't lose muscle before you lose fat doing cardio

4) creatine is a waste of money

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    thats very generous, sweet.
    Yeah...I don't know if he's eventually gonna open his own place. There's two in town...one off of Mainland and another off off 281. The 281 place had their prices on their website and they were charging $175/month unlimited classes and like $120/mo for 2x a week. I'm not sure if that's on top of the gym memberships or not.

Insane!

However, the main website posts their workout of the day, so it's easy to continue for free. Strangely, they're all named after women!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    On eating before you go to bed, it's absolutely necessary. If you're trying to bulk up, you aren't going to get there by effectively starving yourself for 12 hours. And just like you would use whey protein before and after workouts because of its quick absorption, try to eat foods high in casein protein (milk and eggs) before you go to sleep because it absorbs slower, letting your body have a steady supply of nutrients throughout the night. Muscle Milk is good stuff too if you have the money, but if not then you can make do without it.

Also, JGW brings up a really good point about overtraining. I know a lot of people (myself included) who go balls to the wall at the beginning, and when they don't get instant results they get frustrated and abandon training. Make sure to stick with a routine, and don't go hog wild and start exercising every day of the week.

There are a bunch of good programs that will get results, but as a rule of thumb, if you're benching more than you're squating, somethings not right with your program. The KISS principle works great for lifting. IMO, things like bicep curls or skullcrushers are really unnecessary for the beginning lifter, your biceps and triceps will be just fine if you're doing the proper compound lifts. Try lifting three times a week (Mon-Wed-Fri). Alternate each workout day between two different workouts. Workout A do Squats, Power Cleans, and Bench. Workout B do Squats, Deadlifts, and Standing Overhead Press. Rinse and repeat, and reap the results (how's that for alliteration).

Oh, and as for creatine, it definitely works, but it's also overpriced as and probably not worth it if you're a beginning lifter.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    WTF?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I saw that the other day and couldn't stop laughing.

There's no way I'd be able to keep a straight face if I had to deal with a coworker when there was that much swiveling involved.

Thread Information