NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    physical fitness trainer does.not.equal mental fitness trainer

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    burning muscles?

This is the last thing that body does. You need extreme to do it.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I also found it amazing that after burning your muscles, your body turns it into fat. I think that must be something like transubstantiation. . .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I also found it amazing that after burning your muscles, your body turns it into fat. I think that must be something like transubstantiation. . .

fat is not muscle. muscle is not fat. One cannot be the other. What an idiot.

edit: I was calling Mr. Trainer idiot. Not you Easjer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm sure you fitness folks will get a kick out of my gym experience last Friday.

I went in with the intention of doing about an hour on the treadmill, varying speed and working on endurance at higher speeds. I vary my cardio workouts each week (1 hour 3x a week, working on various things each time; HIIT 2x a week for 20-30 minutes).
    Then a trainer walks up to me and starts talking to me. This guy is new (or he's taken a month long vacation because I've never seen him before). He asked how long I planned to go and I told him about an hour.

He exclaimed that was far too long, I just needed to do about 20 minutes and then head over to the ellipticals and do 20 minutes there and then do some free weights. I just said, "Yeah, ok, thanks. But I'm set here for today."

And then he says, "Yeah, but you know that's too long. Cause see, what happens when you do too much cardio is that it will start burning muscle and it'll turn the muscle to fat." I just looked at him with a look of disbelief. He went on, "Yeah, I bet you didn't know that, did you? So it's important to break up your routine."

I finally found my voice and said, "Yes, well my BIL is a trainer and he's got me set up with a good program. I'm working on cardiac fitness today and it's my long day."

He got sort of angry then, and said, "Yeah, well I've been doing this 21 years, and I'm just trying to offer you some helpful pointers. And you need to change up your machines, because the treadmill is too hard on your knee joints. You really ought to switch the elliptical after 20 minutes, but do whatever you want."

I just smiled and said thanks and put my earphones back on. He walked around critiquing people the whole hour I was there and yelling at people. I'm so glad we didn't do weights that night, because it was rude and annoying.

What a jerk.

SFIE's comment - "Yeah, that's why you see all those ing fat marathon runners, man."

dude is a dumb ass, just ignore him as you did. but don't let him keep you from using the machines or weights you want to use! ...keep the volume on your music up, lol.
    Last edited by johngateswhiteley; 02-05-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    lol personal trainers are re ed. i see them in the squat racks doing curls 24/7. lmao

some are legit and real, others are noobs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol personal trainers are re ed. i see them in the squat racks doing curls 24/7. lmao

some are legit and real, others are noobs.
    Curls on the squat rack = #1 pet peeve.
    #2 not replacing equipment where it belongs.
    #3 using dumbells in front of db rack and blocking out a whole section of db. Get what you need and get the out of the way.

What are some of you guys pet peeves at the gym?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    1) not wiping down equipment you've sweat all over
    2) chatting & hogging weights inefficiently while someone else wants to use them
    3) not re racking weights
    4) curls on a ing squat rack you ing bags

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    My only pet peeve is looking at me when I am working out. Other than that, nothing else.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    My biggest pet peeve when in a gym is being in a gym.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    My biggest pet peeve when in a gym is being in a gym.
    So how fat are you then?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    So how fat are you then?
    I'm not fat at all. There are ways to keep in shape that don't involve spending time in a gym.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    I'm not fat at all. There are ways to keep in shape that don't involve spending time in a gym.
    Like eating.............it keeps in a round shape.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Sure.

If you're happier thinking I'm a fatty, knock yourself out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    I won't lie, what I said was pretty damn unfunny.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Today was a light day so i just did 4 pushups.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Question: Are ass to ground squats bad?

I was doing them today and as I finished my set one of the personal trainers approached me asking how long I've been going that low. I said for a little while and he said that it strains my lower back and I should discontinue. I have always heard going lower the better. Is this guy just dumb as or am I doing something bad for my lower back?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Weakling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Can you hammer a six inch e through a board with your penis?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I was doing them today and as I finished my set one of the personal trainers approached me asking how long I've been going that low. I said for a little while and he said that it strains my lower back and I should discontinue. I have always heard going lower the better. Is this guy just dumb as or am I doing something bad for my lower back?

Your knees should not move past your toes, it strains the knees, also i don't see how you can maintain a neutral back by going down so low. The legs will surely get worked out but it probably stresses other things that should not be stressed. So unless you have the balance of an elven rogue with an agility of 99, and the strength to maintain that balance throughout a weighted squat, you should not be doing that.
    corso.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    Your knees should not move past your toes, it strains the knees, also i don't see how you can maintain a neutral back by going down so low. The legs will surely get worked out but it probably stresses other things that should not be stressed. So unless you have the balance of an elven rogue with an agility of 99, and the strength to maintain that balance throughout a weighted squat, you should not be doing that.
    corso.
    I just go down until I feel the excess weight is gonna make me my pants. If you are ever near me while I am squatting, I am farting a lot because of all the weight that is affecting my butt, so it will be pretty smelly around.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Really low squats piss me the off, I had to do a load of them the past couple of years for football. It pisses me off how all football coaches stress getting so low, nothing was worse than maxing out on squats. You would feel like you were going low as with a lot of weight on, and they never count the squat max because it wasn't low enough for them. That is bad for your back and knees...even if I wore belts and used perfect form, my back was always ed after squating. I hated it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    okay all you ST girls.. somebody must have this problem on here.

i've been working myself out strongly the past year, trying to lose at least 3 pounds off my legs. i'm 5'3.5, and weigh 120. ive been trying to do everything from squats, running on the treadmill every day for one hour. it won't work.. im fine with my upper body, its pretty thin. but when it starts from the legs, it just gets curvier.. like not too big, but i just feel uncomfortable with my butt and legs. at least getting them toned....

anyone got any suggestions? thanks so much

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

i'd say, for most people going that low is not bad at all, provided you keep proper form. most trainers are so ing stupid i wouldn't put much stock into they tell you.

here's the deal, its a must imo to go past parallel, anything beyond that listen to your body. some people cannot handle the mashing of the hamstrings against the calf when doing a full squat as it changes the stress on your body. that being said, for some there is no bother at all. in fact, i go past parallel but not all the way down, like i used to, b/c i can feel unusual stress on my knees when the hammy meets the calf. that being said, if going all the way down does not hurt your knees then you should probably keep doing it. don't forget, your knees should track your toes.

read this: http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

look at this: (i couldn't find the pics i wanted) http://www.building-muscle101.com/images/squat.jpg

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    okay all you ST girls.. somebody must have this problem on here.

i've been working myself out strongly the past year, trying to lose at least 3 pounds off my legs. i'm 5'3.5, and weigh 120. ive been trying to do everything from squats, running on the treadmill every day for one hour. it won't work.. im fine with my upper body, its pretty thin. but when it starts from the legs, it just gets curvier.. like not too big, but i just feel uncomfortable with my butt and legs. at least getting them toned....

anyone got any suggestions? thanks so much
    Do leg curls, flutter kicks, Two/One legged hamstring bridges, also against a wall squat down and hold at a 90 degree angle for 30-40 seconds.

Take some fat burning pills.

Thread Information