Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If someone uses a gym for just cardio than I agree it is a waste of money. But if weight training is your thing, it is completely worth it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The hot chicks at the gym make it well worth my 25$ as well.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I do most of my exercise in the house with cheapo dumbbells, stretching, and leg weights. Every other day, so I don't care whether it's hot or cold outside.

For cardio and for from-waist-down, I get on my used $150 bike with toe-straps, and do 2 vigorous circuits around the perimeter of my neighborhood, about 3.5 miles, 15 minutes, every day, when it's not real cold or wet. That really burns the legs/lower-back/abs/glutes, and lungs, all with no impact. My legs have put on noticeable bulk in 3 months of cycling.

In the summer the biking produces a heavy sweat, a great way to eliminate toxins and clean pores. Also biking on warm days in shorts only gives 15 minutes of sun.

It's amazing how fast you cool down and catch your breath, once you get fit.

Monthly $? zero

Time and $gas wasted commuting to/from a gym: zero

Number of ladies picked up at the gym/meat market: zero

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Katy,

If you don't care about classes or swimming and just want a gym with weights, cardio machines, and machines, then check out Anytime Fitness. It's 24 hours (you need a key fob to open the door). They are opening up all over town now and the one I go to is never crowded. Sometimes I'm the only person there.

http://www.anytimefitness.com/experi....aspx?State=TX
    Cool. Thanks for the suggestion, S y!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cool. Thanks for the suggestion, S y!
    I think the rates vary per gym, but I go to the one on 1604/Culebra and pay $25/mo. No contract.

Also, they just opened a YMCA fitness center at OP Schnabel or however it's spelled.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think the rates vary per gym, but I go to the one on 1604/Culebra and pay $25/mo. No contract.

Also, they just opened a YMCA fitness center at OP Schnabel or however it's spelled.
    I wish there was one opened or opening that is closer to me. I think I'm going to check out Spectrum since there's one downtown. We'll see about the rates.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you're a workout vet or just thinking of starting a workout regimen, be it aerobics, weights, whatever, or even if you're thinking about trying to shed some poundage, this is a pretty good website to get some ideas on starting up or incorporating something new into what you already do:

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/index.jsp

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm at the gym 3-4 times a week.

Member at Bally's.

Gained about 20lbs of muscle since I started. Lookin like reichen lehmkuhl now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The $cam is that you NEED a gym membership to get/stay fit, not whether you use it or not.
    Yes, gyms were invented by the bush/ repug neocon cabal to screw over the sheep.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ES, go yourself, per usual.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A good burns about 250 calories per hour, BTW.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Golds Gym or other???

I've been a memeber of Golds Gym for a while but I'm thinking of changing gyms. Suggestions?

I'm assuming you live in the San Antonio area. If you live on the north side, you might consider the Jewish Community Center (JCC) off NW Military and Wurzbach. I just had a friend check it out and she said the facilities are pretty nice. Plus, your membership provides you with other benefits. For example, I think they also have a singles' mixer/coffee once a month. I think she said the cost is $50 a month.

If you graduated college locally, you might also check into the university's facilities. They generally offer the use of their workout equipment to their alumni for a relatively small price.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They are also building a Lifetime Fitness at The Rim. I don't know when it's opening.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    Great. That means I'm only burning 4.17 calories per sexual encounter.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Even when done to oneself?

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Great. That means I'm only burning 4.17 calories per sexual encounter.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Unless it's changed since I belonged, Spectrum requires that you give them 3 months notice to quit.

I've also heard that getting out of a Gold's contract is a beyotch.

There's also Home Court America.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I got to a bar called The Gym. Usually it's about $2 a beer. I do about 10 sets and then go home with a nice buzz.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Unless it's changed since I belonged, Spectrum requires that you give them 3 months notice to quit.

I've also heard that getting out of a Gold's contract is a beyotch.

There's also Home Court America.
    I have a friend who's a member at Spectrum and confirmed you have to give them 3 months notice to quit. Fortunately, I'm done with my contract at Golds and can leave at anytime and get my last month free.

Home Court America is across the highway from my office, I think I'll check it out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I got to a bar called The Gym. Usually it's about $2 a beer. I do about 10 sets and then go home with a nice buzz.
    explains why you will never get anywhere in life.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My friend is a member at Spectrum and confirmed you have to give them 3 months notice to quit. Fortunately, I'm done with my contract at Golds and can leave at anytime and get my last month free.

Home Court America is across the highway from my office, I think I'll check it out.
    I'm pretty sure that Kori and LJ used to belong there, so they can give you more info on it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    We have two of the best fitness centers you can imagine here at work. I spend 35 minutes on the elliptical trainer and then a half hour lifting weights. All the time I'm rocking out to my Nano and checking out the eye-candy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Thats why you are a fat out of shape bas .......... j/k!!

5yrs ago I was 155-160lbs of meat and bones.........now Im about 190-195lbs of muscle. At 6'-1" you can image how bad I used to look.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i have lost over 40 lbs in the last 6 months by riding the re bent bike in the gym for around 30 minutes every day before work, and eating healthier.

Thread Information