trying
    198 lbs
    or nice
    220 lbs

the plan ends at the 24th of December 2008

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stopped eating hotdogs and cut back on soda and french fries, and I've went from 190 to 158.

I like playing this eyetoy game on the ps2 designed for exercise too occasionally, gets me sweating a little bit and its fun. Was playing some tennis too for a while and been meaning to get back to doing that some more.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I go to the gym on the Air Force Base in San Angelo...it's free and has everything you need.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I go to the Concord Athletic Club pay 58 a month, they got a pool, a court, hot tub, and most importantly towel serviice. I loves me some towel service.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    @ the guy at the gym this evening that was parked on my favorite ab machine and wouldn't get the off.

But on the bright side, they got a bunch of new ET's that are pretty brutal.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Alot of people waste their time using machines (leg extension, hamstring curls, etc..) which leads to weak legs. Much faster results and stronger legs come from free weights such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc..
    do squats, dead-lifts, stiff legged dead lifts, good mornings, overhead squats, lunges, glute ham raises, power cleans, etc...

i don't do leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls anymore. i don't think they are effective and don't appear to provide any functional strength. furthermore, leg press is very hard on my knees and doesn't translate anything whatsoever to squats. not a big fan of machines...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    do squats, dead-lifts, stiff legged dead lifts, good mornings, overhead squats, lunges, glute ham raises, power cleans, etc...

i don't do leg press, leg extensions, and leg curls anymore. i don't think they are effective and don't appear to provide any functional strength. furthermore, leg press is very hard on my knees and doesn't translate anything whatsoever to squats. not a big fan of machines...
    Leg curls, extensions, and presses are used for defintion/finesse. If you want ripped legs then do those.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Leg curls, extensions, and presses are used for defintion/finesse. If you want ripped legs then do those.
    i'd probably agree, but if they don't help you at all athletically, which is all i care about, i don't see the point. if you do those exercises don't do a lot of weight and perform a controlled motion.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know if they've got them in SA, but SFIE and I go to Sound Fitness. They are smaller franchises, only in a few states. One time enrollment fee, month to month contract, cancellation with 30 days notice, and only $19.99 a month - for me. I added SFIE on for $12.99. It's no frills - cardio and weights, and options for personal training packages; no classes (except the occasional 'here's how to correctly use the machines in case the pictures are too hard for you dumb s to figure out). We've been in two (we switched to one closer to our house and conveniently located on the way home from work).

We've gone every day this week, and that's the plan from this point on - go every weekday on the way home from work. I'm trying to work up to an hour of cardio a day and strength training twice a week (I do yoga on the weekends and will swim in the summer whenever the pool is clean). SFIE is going to lose some weight and work on strength and toning.

Remembering healthy and nutritious eating is important too, don't forget. I joined WW and have lost 7 pounds since October, and my diet is a lot better overall.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I go to the gym on the Air Force Base in San Angelo...it's free and has everything you need.
    You're stationed at Goodfellow? I did a lot of work there with the 315th, 317th, and 312th (I think those were the numbers, I forget) several years ago. Are you an airman at tech school fresh out of basic?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Alot of people waste their time using machines (leg extension, hamstring curls, etc..) which leads to weak legs. Much faster results and stronger legs come from free weights such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc..
    What about upper body?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Been going to Golds for about 4yrs now........$29 a month
    Me too. But only for a year. And I've never had any problems with over crowding or people hogging equipment. Overall I've enjoyed my golds membership.
    Last edited by THE SIXTH MAN; 01-05-2008 at 04:11 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Getting/staying in shape is all about your state of mind. In early October I went on the scale and realized I was a chubby 219 lbs (at 5'11''). I reduced my calorie intake to 1,500 a day and gradually built up an exercise routine that consists of cardio, various pushup regimens, ab work, free weights for curls/tricep extensions/lat work, and resistance training. As of January 4th I am down to 191 lbs with a 1 1/2 inch gain in the biceps and chest. The only thing left is a little bit of love handles that take a while to get rid of.
    Yeah same here. Since I've become a "label reader". Thats done a lot more for me then any diet. Except I keep my calorie intake at around 2,500 a day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What about upper body?
    incline, bench, military press, row machine, pull-ups, DB incline, DB bench, shoulder flyes, lat pulls, reverse curls, reverse flyes, DB military...hmm, thats about all i do. i mainly do leg stuff, and compound lifts at that.
    Last edited by johngateswhiteley; 01-05-2008 at 09:38 PM.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been running for 20-30 minutes then going into the weight room to do as many pullups as I can overhanded, underhanded, side handed

I just don't get a good back burn on anything else like a good pullup
    Except maybe rows, but i never feel the entire back working with those.

after the pullups i put minimal weight for high reps on a lat pull down thingie
    i don't know if i'm doing anything right or wrong but I can certainly do more pullups now

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    If people want proven results go search for Arnold's workout routine.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If people want proven results go search for Arnold's workout routine.
    His workout is old. Now the training looks diferently and more efficient.
    Well talking about efficiency - it's an idyvidual as everybody can provide his routine which will be good for him. Just have fun.

I'm working out many years and realy had not much fun of that. Just being brutal to my body with accually close to zero results in shape (talking about typical weight lifting in the gym).
    Latelly I'm working on having fun of that all, but realy never found a reciept for it. I'm too much into giving max! That is not as good as I thought before. Althougn without that adreanaline and sweat I'm dead.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    His workout is old. Now the training looks diferently and more efficient.
    Well talking about efficiency - it's an idyvidual as everybody can provide his routine which will be good for him. Just have fun.

I'm working out many years and realy had not much fun of that. Just being brutal to my body with accually close to zero results in shape (talking about typical weight lifting in the gym).
    Latelly I'm working on having fun of that all, but realy never found a reciept for it. I'm too much into giving max! That is not as good as I thought before. Althougn without that adreanaline and sweat I'm dead.
    I really didn't understand most of that, but Arnold's routine is crazy and , I would be suprised if somebody did his workout, even if they did half of everything (sets and reps).

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I heard he does four sets of milk carton wedges at 10 reps a pop

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I really didn't understand most of that, but Arnold's routine is crazy and , I would be suprised if somebody did his workout, even if they did half of everything (sets and reps).
    That's how they trained in 70s
    There were gus that were doing 2 four hour sessions a day. 6 days a week.

btw. what is not to understand in my pure dictionary english ?

I havent found a way to have fun from workout. And my advise for everybody is HAVE FUN and find your own training rutine, no matter what it will be.

Excample - Dorian Yates - his workout was not about hours spent in the gym it was about intensse and 'muscle collapse' and he was a elite bodybuilder

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    That's how they trained in 70s
    There were gus that were doing 2 four hour sessions a day. 6 days a week.
    Yeah and that's how you get proven results. Here's Arnold's routine when he was younger:
    Mon, Wed, Fri
    Chest:
    Bench press - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Flat bench flies - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Incline bench press - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Cable crossovers - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
    Dips - 5 sets, to failure
    Dumbbell pullovers - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

Back:
    Front wide-grip chin-ups - 6 sets, to failure
    T-bar rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Seated pulley rows - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    One-arm dumbbell rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Straight-leg deadlifts - 6 sets, 15 reps

Legs:
    Squats - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg presses - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
    Leg extensions - 6 sets, 12-15 reps
    Leg curls - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
    Barbell lunges - 5 sets, 15 reps

Calves:
    Standing calf raises -10 sets, 10 reps
    Seated calf raises - 8 sets, 15 reps
    One-legged calf raises (holding dumbbells) - 6 sets,12 reps

Forearms:
    Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
    Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
    Wright roller machine - to failure

Abs:
    Nonstop instinct training for 30 minutes

Tues, Thurs, Sat
    Biceps:
    Barbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Seated dumbbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Dumbbell concentration curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

Triceps:
    Close-grip bench presses (for the all three heads) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Pushdowns (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Barbell French presses (interior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    One-arm dumbbell triceps extensions (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

Shoulders:
    Seated barbell presses - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Lateral raises (standing) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
    Rear-delt lateral raises - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
    Cable lateral raises - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

Calves and Forearms:
    Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Abs:
    Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Only problem with this is that your muscles wouldn't be able to handle all this w/o steriods, but the outline of this routine is pure gold and all you need to do is adjust the sets/reps.

I just naturally like lifting, it was one of my favorite parts during the off season for Basketball and it just stuck with me. I think it's fun breaking/attaining personal records and getting stronger.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Two 4-hour sessions, six days a week is madness. And, I suspect, worse than modern routines designed with a better understand of the physiology of muscle repair and building.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Anything more than an hour of weight lifting will lead to over training.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What about upper body?
    Same goes for upper body. Free weights are always more productive. (db rows, db bench press, db shoulder press, and the mother of upper body strength building......pull ups).

Another tip for weight training is to use compund excercises (excercises that use mutliple muscles) rather than isolation excercises. This goes especially for beginners to intermediate weght lifters.(0 - 2 yrs exp.)ex. pull ups >>>>>> bicep curls. Bench press >>>>> db flys.. lunges>>>>>>>>> hamstring curls. Just to name a few. Leave the Iso bull to professional bodybuilders. You will also save alot of unneccasary time at the gym.

Thread Information