Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Two 4-hour sessions, six days a week is madness. And, I suspect, worse than modern routines designed with a better understand of the physiology of muscle repair and building.
    They thought it was right thing to do (and only one to be the best)
    And they were maniacs.

As for the overtrain. I'm being overtrain for many years now and all I can say is. Whatever you are doing or eating. It does not giving you good results. It give hardly any. But gives you depression. That what I had all of my years.

I had 2 hour sessions 4 times a week in most moths I was doing that sport. Right now it's whole a lot different. One - I have not much time. Two - I try to live having pleasure of what I'm doing.

damn - "a story of my life" coming soon

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Anything more than an hour of weight lifting will lead to over training.
    Are you smoking?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    Two 4-hour sessions, six days a week is madness. And, I suspect, worse than modern routines designed with a better understand of the physiology of muscle repair and building.
    SHoog, are you a Sports Med Doc/type of guy/profession?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    sorry, i thought i read half an hour. an hour isn't overdoing it though...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    SHoog, are you a Sports Med Doc/type of guy/profession?
    Nope.

I have seen a lot of people with compications from fat burners, creatine, etc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When I say one hour max I'm referring to one hour of High intensity weight lifting. Im not including cardio or the thirty minutes a person uses staring at themselves in the mirror or socializing at a gym. Sure some people may be able to go over an hour and recover just fine. But the majority of people will find more than one hour of high intensity lifting too much which leads to over training. Usually anything more than an hour is just a waste of time. I've been lifting for quite a while myself.....I've tried the two hour sessions. I got much better results and growth from high intesity efficient workouts. So to answer your question....NO im not smoking, Just sharing what I've learned from experience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    Nope.

You just seemed to have a lot of input when it comes to these types of things. The people who resort to fat burners or use creatine are desperate for quick results and often up thinking if they take more than the suggested dose they'll get quicker results or the results will be even better.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    When I say one hour max I'm referring to one hour of High intensity weight lifting. Im not including cardio or the thirty minutes a person uses staring at themselves in the mirror or socializing at a gym. Sure some people may be able to go over an hour and recover just fine. But the majority of people will find more than one hour of high intensity lifting too much which leads to over training. Usually anything more than an hour is just a waste of time. I've been lifting for quite a while myself.....I've tried the two hour sessions. I got much better results and growth from high intesity efficient workouts. So to answer your question....NO im not smoking, Just sharing what I've learned from experience.
    most lifters do over train, which imo, is the leading cause of plateauing out. have you ever taken 2 weeks off and come back to the gym lifting more than you ever have before? i don't consider my workouts over training but every time i take time off like that it always has a positive effect...and my workouts hardly ever consist of an hour of lifting. (i workout 6 days a week with weights, but never do more than 6 lifts each day)

My juices are flowing! JackLalanne's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You don't need to spend hours in a gym to be fit. Daily excercise and eating well along with some fresh juice is all one really needs.

In thru the out door! RichardSimmons's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Richard Simmons trolls in 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
    Who needs an expensive gym membership when you can get fit dancing to the oldies!?

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nope.

Inapropriate use

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    have you ever taken 2 weeks off and come back to the gym lifting more than you ever have before?
    I totally agree with this. I usually will lift for about two months straight (4 days a week) and follow that with a week off. It never fails that I will return and have significant strength gains.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    Does anybody know any good Pushup regimens? I've regressed in that area by around 30 pushups and the one I'm currently doing isn't really hitting it and I'm not improving.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Does anybody know any good Pushup regimens? I've regressed in that area by around 30 pushups and the one I'm currently doing isn't really hitting it and I'm not improving.
    thats fairly vague. but there are many push-up workout that you can do...keeping them interesting is the main thing. whats your goal?

1. the 20 second push-up
    2. 1 leg push-ups
    3. elevated push-ups
    4. wide push-ups
    5. close push-ups
    6. staggered push-ups
    7. timed push-ups
    8. set push-ups
    9. clap push-ups
    10. double-clap push-ups
    11. speed push-ups
    12. 1 arm push-ups

if you are concerned with doing a certain amount of push-ups in a certain time span, then i would suggest doing timed sets of push-ups. if you are concerned with doing 1 large set to failure then i would work on set push-ups to failure and then do some sets where you are holding yourself in a half push-up position until you can barely hold it then go down and do a push-up. that should increase your muscle endurance enough to eventually crank some more out.

...if you are getting heavier push-ups, obviously, will become harder.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    thats fairly vague. but there are many push-up workout that you can do...keeping them interesting is the main thing. whats your goal?

1. the 20 second push-up
    2. 1 leg push-ups
    3. elevated push-ups
    4. wide push-ups
    5. close push-ups
    6. staggered push-ups
    7. timed push-ups
    8. set push-ups
    9. clap push-ups
    10. double-clap push-ups
    11. speed push-ups
    12. 1 arm push-ups

if you are concerned with doing a certain amount of push-ups in a certain time span, then i would suggest doing timed sets of push-ups. if you are concerned with doing 1 large set to failure then i would work on set push-ups to failure and then do some sets where you are holding yourself in a half push-up position until you can barely hold it then go down and do a push-up. that should increase your muscle endurance enough to eventually crank some more out.

...if you are getting heavier push-ups, obviously, will become harder.
    I don't have that much variety in my routine. My routine is pretty simple: at morning one large set until failure at night 20 sets of 30 or 30 sets of 20, alternating close and wide grips on the sets, I'll throw some reverse handed or finger tipped sets as well. My main goal is to build up endurance and max out on one large set. I've tried one handed pushups, but I feel it working out my shoulder more than anything. I also have gained 5-6 pounds.
    Last edited by E20; 01-06-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ya'll some hardcore foo's if you're doing 20 sets of 30 pushups

that!

Btw... if I wanna do that... it's okay to add that onto my upperbody workout day after i workout (like 3 hours after my workout do the pushup list). Seems kind of overtraining, what ya'll think? Me thinks that would cover an upperbody day just by itself.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    I read you can do as much pushup as you want and you won't over work your muscles, since you are using your own body weight. That's not that much for me since I barely go to the gym, probably once ever 2 weeks and I do most of my working out at home/inside.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

that!

Btw... if I wanna do that... it's okay to add that onto my upperbody workout day after i workout (like 3 hours after my workout do the pushup list). Seems kind of overtraining, what ya'll think? Me thinks that would cover an upperbody day just by itself.
    i don't do that, and i don't do all those variations at once either...they're just options. do what works for you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Jgw Ftw

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

that!

Not over training just burning calories. Unless your body weight is close to about 85% of your max lift you are not gaining muscle just losing fat. Although it is good for getting those smaller muscles (forearms) a nice workout.
    A 3 set 3 rep bench press at 95% max weight will give you much better results than all the push ups you wanna do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not over training just burning calories. Unless your body weight is close to about 85% of your max lift you are not gaining muscle just losing fat. Although it is good for getting those smaller muscles (forearms) a nice workout.
    A 3 set 3 rep bench press at 95% max weight will give you much better results than all the push ups you wanna do.
    thats true, you'd be gaining hypertrophy not necessarily strength. by the same token, you can get bigger and more muscular without actually getting stronger or more powerful. if you pay attention in the gym, you'll see what i mean.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yea i gotcha. I know people bigger and more cut than me but I'm stronger than them.

People underestimate me when they want to arm wrestle me... they always lose. Love the look on their face. I'd get my ass kicked by e20, though...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    thats true, you'd be gaining hypertrophy not necessarily strength. by the same token, you can get bigger and more muscular without actually getting stronger or more powerful. if you pay attention in the gym, you'll see what i mean.
    agreed. But most of us are there for the looks not the strength.....Right?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    agreed. But most of us are there for the looks not the strength.....Right?
    most of us, but not me. granted i'm no slouch, i hope, but i lift for sports...namely rugby.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    I've been pretty fanatical about lifting for about the past three years. I train in my basement ( the high priced gym), and it has everything I need: squats, deads, bench, cleans, and overhead press. I've been getting consistently good results without plateauing, using a simple 5 x 5 workout program and a solid diet (4,000 calories and 300+ grams of protein).

Thread Information