Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    agreed. But most of us are there for the looks not the strength.....Right?
    I'm actually more in it for the strength. So since my max bench is over my body weight I'm gaining muscle then, by doing all those pushups?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm actually more in it for the strength. So since my max bench is over my body weight I'm gaining muscle then, by doing all those pushups?
    your muscles will probably get bigger, but you won't get significantly stronger. at least not in a way that translates to the weight room. so, if your looking for strength, and thats your main goal, i'd make push-ups a smaller part of your workout.

push-ups will increase your muscular endurance, however, and help with your tone...fwiw.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been pretty fanatical about lifting for about the past three years. I train in my basement ( the high priced gym), and it has everything I need: squats, deads, bench, cleans, and overhead press. I've been getting consistently good results without plateauing, using a simple 5 x 5 workout program and a solid diet (4,000 calories and 300+ grams of protein).
    Ive been doing5x5 myself. Very good routine to follow. I dont know about 300 grams of protein though. Seems a bit steep for me. Unless you weigh 300 lbs of course. 4,000 calories probably means you are way up there in muscle mass so it you may be right for your measurements.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    your muscles will probably get bigger, but you won't get significantly stronger. at least not in a way that translates to the weight room. so, if your looking for strength, and thats your main goal, i'd make push-ups a smaller part of your workout.

push-ups will increase your muscular endurance, however, and help with your tone...fwiw.
    Muscle may slightly grow but at a much slower pace than weight lifting. Totally agree with muscle endurance though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Muscle may slightly grow but at a much slower pace than weight lifting. Totally agree with muscle endurance though.
    the push-ups will increase his size, but not as much as doing, say bench or incline with more weight than you are pushing up even though you'll likely do less reps.

basically, i agree.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the push-ups will increase his size, but not as much as doing, say bench or incline with more weight than you are pushing up even though you'll likely do less reps.

basically, i agree.
    High reps very overrated and old school. Low reps and max weight is key for growth.
    BTW is that Marissa Miller on your avatar?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been pretty fanatical about lifting for about the past three years. I train in my basement ( the high priced gym), and it has everything I need: squats, deads, bench, cleans, and overhead press. I've been getting consistently good results without plateauing, using a simple 5 x 5 workout program and a solid diet (4,000 calories and 300+ grams of protein).
    all that sounds great except the 300 grams of protein, thats a load of protein. even if you weigh 400 lbs. i wouldn't consume that much protein. i am curious as to how much you do weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

i weigh 183 lbs, and i'd say my average protein consumption is barely over 100 grams a day and i think its plenty. i'm not sure how this gram per pound of bodyweight fad started, but its not necessary. shoot for a gram per kilogram of body weight...(speaking generally, i'm not lecturing you).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    High reps very overrated and old school. Low reps and max weight is key for growth.
    BTW is that Marissa Miller on your avatar?
    actually, high reps bring more hypertrophy than low reps and max weight. if you don't believe me, give it a shot and see what happens. although, i should define what high reps is, imo its around 10 or higher. but i could give a about hypertrophy, i lift for power and consequently perform sets of 3-7 reps on most exercises.

yes, its Marisa.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    all that sounds great except the 300 grams of protein, thats a load of protein. even if you weigh 400 lbs. i wouldn't consume that much protein. i am curious as to how much you do weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

i weigh 183 lbs, and i'd say my average protein consumption is barely over 100 grams a day and i think its plenty. i'm not sure how this gram per pound of bodyweight fad started, but its not necessary. shoot for a gram per kilogram of body weight...(speaking generally, i'm not lecturing you).
    I don't agree with the gram for lb math either. I was just thinking that was a abnormal number of grams protein and figured this guy is huge. No other explanation. Or maybe its the fad deal that protein overdose = muscle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    actually, high reps bring more hypertrophy than low reps and max weight. if you don't believe me, give it a shot and see what happens. although, i should define what high reps is, imo its around 10 or higher. but i could give a about hypertrophy, i lift for power and consequently perform sets of 3-7 reps on most exercises.

yes, its Marisa.
    Gave it a shot....good results. Much better results with high intense low rep workouts. But every one has there own way of getting bigger. Stick to whatever works for you....I say.

I love Marissa....Give her a goodnight kiss for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Gave it a shot....good results. Much better results with high intense low rep workouts. But every one has there own way of getting bigger. Stick to whatever works for you....I say.

I love Marissa....Give her a goodnight kiss for me.
    hmm, interesting. well, thats good and i always say do what works for you as well. for the most part i'd say specific 'general' workouts will garner specific results, but some people do respond differently.

...she's amazingly hot.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So you're saying I should do 10+ rep sets of bench and squats to increase strength more efficiently?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So you're saying I should do 10+ rep sets of bench and squats to increase strength more efficiently?
    nope.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been toying with either buying Turbulence Training or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I just came across the latter and have been reading up on it.

Thoughts?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been toying with either buying Turbulence Training or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I just came across the latter and have been reading up on it.

Thoughts?
    eat better and work your heart, you don't need to buy that stuff. mix in a few weights if you feel comfortable...

edit: i should say, if that gets you motivated then go for it cause its a small price to pay. but i doubt you'll find anything earth shattering.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I do lift weights and have been for 20 years. I've got the muscle, but as I've gotten older it's harder to get what's on top of it off...especially now that I'm in my early 40s. I walk several times a week at a good clip for 4-5 miles and will switch out with HIIT and try to lift 3x a week. My diet can improve, but overall it's pretty healthy. More healthy than not.

Besides the 2nd book will basically be free as I got $15 Amazon gift cert for answering a survey from my accounting software company

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess my point is what worked for me in my 20s ain't happening now. It's very frustrating.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I pulled the trigger on the 2nd book. It only cost me $6.12 with the balance and shipping.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess my point is what worked for me in my 20s ain't happening now. It's very frustrating.
    i see. well, i might not be the guy to ask about a girl in her 40s. but, my thinking would be you're going to have to work harder. if you want to lose the stuff over your muscles you're going to have to eat less and work more. instead of walking, perhaps you should start jogging...if thats too hard for your knees then maybe spinning for 45-60 minutes at a hi intensity or doing those weird elliptical machines.

it can be done...how bad do you want it?

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i see. well, i might not be the guy to ask about a girl in her 40s. but, my thinking would be you're going to have to work harder. if you want to lose the stuff over your muscles you're going to have to eat less and work more. instead of walking, perhaps you should start jogging...if thats too hard for your knees then maybe spinning for 45-60 minutes at a hi intensity or doing those weird elliptical machines.

it can be done...how bad do you want it?
    I'm trying to gear towards HIIT. It's something I've never done before and have recently picked up. I can say I feel great afterwards with better HR results and in less time. I've also started jump roping again. It's amazing what you could do for hours as a kid practically kills you as an adult!

And see--there's the thing with eating. If you're lifting and working hard, you should eat more or so I've read of late.

Anyway...what works for one doesn't always work for another and at this stage in my life, I haven't found it yet. There's heart disease in my family and I do workout mostly for that and am pretty confident that my heart is healthy.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so then what were you saying

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm trying to gear towards HIIT. It's something I've never done before and have recently picked up. I can say I feel great afterwards with better HR results and in less time. I've also started jump roping again. It's amazing what you could do for hours as a kid practically kills you as an adult!

And see--there's the thing with eating. If you're lifting and working hard, you should eat more or so I've read of late.

Anyway...what works for one doesn't always work for another and at this stage in my life, I haven't found it yet. There's heart disease in my family and I do workout mostly for that and am pretty confident that my heart is healthy.
    good luck to you. but think about this...if you're working out hard and eating more, in essence replacing the calories you burn, how are you toning down or losing the stuff over your muscles? granted, thats the proper mentality for gaining muscle or wanting to become more powerful or for sports. but if your goal is to trim down and become smaller, especially in your 40s, you need a calorie deficiency. you need to expend more calories than you consume...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so then what were you saying
    lol, i think its fairly obvious. but, OK imo:

1. if your main goal is strength then controlled reps of 1-5 with 70-95% of your 1RM

2. if your main goal is power then explosive reps of 1-7 with 60-85% of your 1RM

3. if your main goal is hypertrophy then controlled reps of 8-12 with 60-80% of your 1RM

...sets will vary depending on how often you workout and how your body responds. for instance, i normally do 4-6 sets of 1-7 reps as i train for power. sometimes i mix it up and have a high rep day or a strength day, but the vast majority of my workouts are geared towards power.

i would say this guide works for most people and is a general outline of what will work based on your goals.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    good luck to you. but think about this...if you're working out hard and eating more, in essence replacing the calories you burn, how are you toning down or losing the stuff over your muscles? granted, thats the proper mentality for gaining muscle or wanting to become more powerful or for sports. but if your goal is to trim down and become smaller, especially in your 40s, you need a calorie deficiency. you need to expend more calories than you consume...
    yes, I'm well aware of that but these workouts are designed to have a Cardio effect to them. If I eat 1000-1200 to lose, it really slows done my already slow metabolism. I'm talking about upping them to 1500-1800. We'll see...I've never tried it that way before.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yes, I'm well aware of that but these workouts are designed to have a Cardio effect to them. If I eat 1000-1200 to lose, it really slows done my already slow metabolism. I'm talking about upping them to 1500-1800. We'll see...I've never tried it that way before.
    thats true, the more you eat the more calories you burn. and if you lower your caloric intake too much it will just slow down your metabolism to point it makes it more difficult to overcome. however, its my experience, and i don't know your situation, that most people just need to work out harder and longer.

you bring up a valid point, but i guarantee you if you ate less and ran 10 miles a day...you'd trim down. just making a point...

Thread Information