Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    don't forget to stretch S y...lengthen those muscles.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lifting standards...there is links at the bottom for more lifts.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're stationed at Goodfellow? I did a lot of work there with the 315th, 317th, and 312th (I think those were the numbers, I forget) several years ago. Are you an airman at tech school fresh out of basic?
    I'm a civilian contractor on base, I got out of the military after 5 years but my wife is still in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    all that sounds great except the 300 grams of protein, thats a load of protein. even if you weigh 400 lbs. i wouldn't consume that much protein. i am curious as to how much you do weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

i weigh 183 lbs, and i'd say my average protein consumption is barely over 100 grams a day and i think its plenty. i'm not sure how this gram per pound of bodyweight fad started, but its not necessary. shoot for a gram per kilogram of body weight...(speaking generally, i'm not lecturing you).
    I'm at 210 right now with about 15% body fat or so (been awhile since I've tested it). Back in my football days during high school I got into a habit of drinking a gallon of milk a day (which I still do). I've heard from a couple of buddies who are really into power lifting to eat around 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. It's probably excessive, but IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IMO it's just about doing what feels natural. I've gotten into a habit of eating alot of protein heavy foods like tuna, almonds, eggs, milk, chicken, etc., so it's not as if I'm forcing myself to take in around 300 grams. Just have to do what's right for you.

Also, for people who are looking to get into weightlifting, I'd check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Has a ton of information for good lifters, and will get your form right so you don't end up building bad habits.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    don't forget to stretch S y...lengthen those muscles.
    not true

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also, for people who are looking to get into weightlifting, I'd check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Has a ton of information for good lifters, and will get your form right so you don't end up building bad habits.
    Rippetoe's Starting Strength is an excellent read for beginners. His 5x5 method works wonders on anyone.( novice or pro).
    And to add to the stretching comment....it is a must when lifting. Not so much before training but very important during and after.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was going to mention this site myself. you beat me to it. Very informative. The forum there is excellent for questions. Very professional IMO. Not one of those forums that craps on you for asking noobie questions. Unlike one that I know of....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was going to mention this site myself. you beat me to it. Very informative. The forum there is excellent for questions. Very professional IMO. Not one of those forums that craps on you for asking noobie questions. Unlike one that I know of....
    ...yeah, its good stuff.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And to add to the stretching comment....it is a must when lifting. Not so much before training but very important during and after.
    It is

But another method is to flex them between the sets, so you know.

What is working for you take it. What's not - quit it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What is more effective? Cardio at a higher RPM for a shorter period of time or at a slower RPM for a longer period of time?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    I'd suggest running/jogging. For what it's worth, in my opnion going on a bike or ellipitical machine is inferior and takes longer to get the same amount of a workout on treadmill or jogging, I can use a bike/elliptical for an hour and I won't be short of breath, but if I jog for 5 minutes I get tired. Unless if you have knee problems or want to tone your legs. Sorry for not answering your question.
    Last edited by E20; 01-08-2008 at 03:09 PM.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What is more effective? Cardio at a higher RPM for a shorter period of time or at a slower RPM for a longer period of time?
    From what I've been reading it's HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training. I know when I do cardio that way, I feel like I got a way more intense workout than walking for an hour at a good clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haSljTB1wZM

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    HIIT much more effective. Not only does the body burn more calories, but muscles can be excercised much more effectively. ex.. sprinters legs vs a marathon runners legs.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    From what I've been reading it's HIIT--High Intensity Interval Training. I know when I do cardio that way, I feel like I got a way more intense workout than walking for an hour at a good clip.

The new Precor ET's they got at Ballys have a brutal interval training program ... that always seems to be more effective for me. Although, even when I up the resistance and incline as much as my body can take ... since I quit smoking, I still have a hard time getting my heart rate to the optimum burn rate. I think I'm dead and just haven't laid down yet.
    Last edited by SpursWoman; 01-08-2008 at 04:02 PM.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The new Precor ET's they got at Ballys have a brutal interval training program ... that always seems to be more effective for me. Although, even when I up the resistance and incline as much as my body can take ... since I quit smoking, I still have a hard time getting my heart rate to the optimum burn rate. I think I'm dead and just haven't lied down yet.
    I obviously can't run 10 mph--I'd be embedded in the wall behind me if I tried , but at my run stage, my HR is up in the 170-175 range and my Polar watch is beeping out of control telling me I'm gonna die. I'll do that for 1:00-1:30 minutes and then bring it down to the 130s. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

But I feel so good afterwards!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you live in the Denver area, you can go to this gym. That is, if he'll let you...

http://www.5280.com/issues/story_for...php?pageID=979

ETA and is a total ...I really feel for his mom.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    If you live in the Denver area, you can go to this gym. That is, if he'll let you...

That guys a total asshole... not to mention it doesn't really seem that his training methods are that effective.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

thats funny, i think i've seen that clip before. but...he has a point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    slower for a longer period of time will get more of the results you desire (probably). but how slow are u talking?

personally, i don't think there is any subs ute for running.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    for athletes-
    ...did a good sprinting workout tonight called ins and outs, its one of the better ways to focus on top speed. as follows:

1. warm-up 20 min (including 10 min. jog and 10 min. dynamic)
    2. mark off 60 yards/meters
    3. accelerate 20 meters sprint 10 meters high cadence 20 meters sprint 10 meters
    4. perform 3 sets of 4 with 3-5 minutes of rest between sets

...this is a nice variation to doing 20-50 yard sprints, which are also a good way to work on quickness/speed. in the latter make sure your heart rate is around 100bpm before performing your next sprint. top speed is all that matters in these workouts...in fact i'm fairly well conditioned and on speed days i hardly do more than 7-8 sprints. work on speed endurance or endurance on other days.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A good burns about 250 calories per hour, BTW.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I tried this last night at the gym. I almost died and it felt great. It was a seriously intense workout. I did intervals on the stair climber and on the treadmill.

Thread Information