Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I tried this last night at the gym. I almost died and it felt great. It was a seriously intense workout. I did intervals on the stair climber and on the treadmill.
    Doesn't it feel awesome?

Did you decide on a new gym yet?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Doesn't it feel awesome?

Did you decide on a new gym yet?
    yes, it feels like you have new insides after you're done.

Nope, I haven't decided on a new gym yet. I looked at Spectrum and it's way too expensive. I'm gonna check out Family Fitness after work tomorrow.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ...damn USA...bump.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, I did HIIT again yesterday and the only thing I don't like about it is having to pay attention to the time. If there's a way to specifically set interval training on the machines at Golds, I'm in the dark.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, I did HIIT again yesterday and the only thing I don't like about it is having to pay attention to the time. If there's a way to specifically set interval training on the machines at Golds, I'm in the dark.
    Which machine(s) are you using? Sometimes there's a specific "Interval" preset program, or it will be under the "Weight Loss" preset.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, my question is - when will this get easier?

We've gone to the gym everyday but Saturday. Still only doing cardio. Up to 35 minutes, with a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool-down. Won't pretend I'm in any kind of shape at all, but the last two nights have been particularly hard. I've increased my speed a mile per hour since last week, and am pushing it another half-mile for intervals. It seems like time is really dragging and I've slept well, but feel completely wiped out and exhausted right now.

Even at work -I'd been getting up mid-morning and mid-afternoon and walking around my floor of the building three or four times on my break to keep the blood flowing and be less sedentary. Even that was hard yesterday, and I feel like curling up under my desk.

When will this get better? Easier? When will I have more energy?

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If it's getting easy, you need to increase your resistance/weight/whatever ... it should always be a challenge.

Seriously, you need to incorporate weights into your workout to increase muscle, which will help you start buring calories faster and increase what you're able to do in cardio.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Weights start this weekend. The gym is still thinning out from the NY rush/crowd and we're still figuring out how to better plan our evenings and meals so that this works more smoothly (so if we are staying late to work on weights, we have a meal ready to go in the fridge). Also have to work in how we get the dog taken care of so that he's not in his crate overly long.

There are too damn many trainers at this branch, always trying to drum up business, so they strut around commenting on form and technique and asking questions about your goals. All well and good, but I don't like people watching me work out. I know I'm fat and I know I need to do it, could we leave it there? That's also put me off the weights until this weekend.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh, I'll keep increasing weight/speed/incline, I know that part. But I need some hope that this will not continue to be such a struggle and so exhausting, because this is seriously disheartening right now. I mean, I'm still going to the gym tonight and I'll do it again. But I feel like my head is wrapped in cotton, I am so tired.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The crock pot is your friend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, my question is - when will this get easier?

We've gone to the gym everyday but Saturday. Still only doing cardio. Up to 35 minutes, with a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool-down. Won't pretend I'm in any kind of shape at all, but the last two nights have been particularly hard. I've increased my speed a mile per hour since last week, and am pushing it another half-mile for intervals. It seems like time is really dragging and I've slept well, but feel completely wiped out and exhausted right now.

Even at work -I'd been getting up mid-morning and mid-afternoon and walking around my floor of the building three or four times on my break to keep the blood flowing and be less sedentary. Even that was hard yesterday, and I feel like curling up under my desk.

When will this get better? Easier? When will I have more energy?

have you just started out? if so, there will always be an adjustment period. i can't tell you how long that period will last...but it will pass, i promise you. the human body is an amazing organism and will adapt to almost anything. right now its probably like, "what the is happening to me," and all that sleepiness is your body fighting/adjusting what your putting it through. push through it...

...on the other hand, if you've been working out then you might be over training. or it could be a mul ude of other factors...job stress, whatever.

good luck!

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh, I'll keep increasing weight/speed/incline, I know that part. But I need some hope that this will not continue to be such a struggle and so exhausting, because this is seriously disheartening right now. I mean, I'm still going to the gym tonight and I'll do it again. But I feel like my head is wrapped in cotton, I am so tired.
    Once you start using the weights REGULARLY ( ), while you should be in considerable pain for a week or two, it gets better amazingly fast after that ... and you'll start noticing that you have too much energy.

And your clothes starting to feel too loose is a big pick-me-up, too.

Just be patient.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Patience? What? Noooooo! Patience is my kryptonite.

jgw - We just started. I have to lose (a lot of) weight. I've taken care of the eating (and have lost 8 pounds so far primarily from that) and now we are starting the working out. I can honestly say we've worked out more since the new year than in all of 2007. It's just catching up with me this week, I guess. Last week I felt good. This week I feel like I'm sleepwalking. I damn well better have some results this week.

SW - yes, I need to plan for crockpot meals or frozen casseroles. Both of which we do and love. It just took us this week to figure that out though, cause we're all smrt like that. Clothes are already a little looser and I've noticed that my face doesn't look bloated, if that makes sense. Looks more defined, maybe. More energy would be great. Then maybe my house would get cleaned. Dare to dream, right?

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also, is there anything particularly that you would recommend for abs? I'm not worried much about definition, since I think it'll be years before anyone sees them again, but since we're looking ahead to starting a family (the main motivator behind my losing weight, if I'm being honest) - something I know is that women who have lax abdominal muscles (and especially large women) have more problems with back pain and pelvic pain and (especially large women) have greater potentials for complications like hernias during pregnancy if their abs aren't in good shape pre-pregnancy. It's not something I ever paid much attention to before, because, I'm fat.

But I'd like to pay more attention now that I'm getting active about this stuff.

ETA - my skinny cute friends have said that the best thing for abs was crunches on the stability ball. Yes or no?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Which machine(s) are you using? Sometimes there's a specific "Interval" preset program, or it will be under the "Weight Loss" preset.
    I'm using the treadmill and the stair climber. I'll pay more attention today to see if there's any presets with specific intervals similar to mine.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rule of thumb for weights. If you can do 12-15 reps with no problem, you are using too light of a weight.

As for abs...contract them when your doing your cardio. Also work on doing some core exercises. I do both ball and floor crunches. If you go to sparkpeople.com (it's a free diet and exercise website, but you'll have to sign up) the have demonstration videos for all their exercises...it can even plan a routine for you.

Also, try and shake you routine up. Your body gets used to things very quickly, so you should switch your routine every 4-6 weeks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    easjer:

It does get easier. After a while, it'll become a part of your every day routine. I know it's hard right now but don't give up. The pain/soreness/loss of energy is your body telling you it's working. BTW, what gym do you go to?

As for abs, the stability ball is awesome. Also, basic crunches daily can work wonders.

Good luck and keep going!!!

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    As for abs...contract them when your doing your cardio. Also work on doing some core exercises. I do both ball and floor crunches. If you go to sparkpeople.com (it's a free diet and exercise website, but you'll have to sign up) the have demonstration videos for all their exercises...it can even plan a routine for you.

Also, try and shake you routine up. Your body gets used to things very quickly, so you should switch your routine every 4-6 weeks.

And don't leave out lower back strengthening ... that's especially important when you're pregnant.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    easjer:

It does get easier. After a while, it'll become a part of your every day routine. I know it's hard right now but don't give up. The pain/soreness/loss of energy is your body telling you it's working. BTW, what gym do you go to?

As for abs, the stability ball is awesome. Also, basic crunches daily can work wonders.

Good luck and keep going!!!

It's a tiny place called Sound Fitness. They have branches in four or five states, and we just switched from one we never went too (too out of the way) to one that opened in September that we literally passed every day on the way home from work. No frills gym - cardio equipment and weight machines and a free weights section. You can buy a personal training package from one of the gazillion trainers I always see working out or commenting on someone's form. But it's less expensive for SFIE and me combined than for 1 membership to the gym on campus.

I just hate dragging so much. It leaves me with no motivation. So I have to keep reminding myself that I want to get pregnant, and I want to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, and I want a homebirth. But that may get me to the gym - it won't make me feel less tired. And I've cut back on caffeine, so no coffee either. Blah.

SW - thanks for the reminder. I'll focus on that too. I also practice squatting a lot more often, because that is a great delivery position (widens the pelvis by about 30%, also shortens the pelvis, and allows gravity to assist you - provided you can hold the position).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I disagree. while daily crunches may build muscle, it may also lead to a wide waist. I read a pretty good article on this showing before and after pics of celebs that over did it with crunches. Much wider waists were visibly noticeable. Abs should be treated like any other muscle and trained 3 - 4 times a week. In the same regard abs should be excercised with weights as well.(weighted crunches, wood chops with medicine ball, etc..) Obviously weights added are for more experienced lifters but are more efficient than, say 100 crunches daily. Almost everyone already has respectable abs but are just hidden behind layers of fat. Shed the weight if you want abs to show. Nutrition is more important than excercise itself when it comes to fat loss or muscle mass gain. Add in some HIIT training and a good weight lifting program and your body will turn into a calorie burning machine. Also, abs get a worked on when doing other workouts such as squats or lunges.
    Focus on large muscles before you start to target small muscles. The six pack will come in time.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've always read that abs are made in the kitchen!

Easjer, your sounds like mine. Only mine is never crowded and I think they will only accept up to 400 members. It's awesome.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I disagree. while daily crunches may build muscle, it may also lead to a wide waist. I read a pretty good article on this showing before and after pics of celebs that over did it with crunches. Much wider waists were visibly noticeable. Abs should be treated like any other muscle and trained 3 - 4 times a week. In the same regard abs should be excercised with weights as well.(weighted crunches, wood chops with medicine ball, etc..) Obviously weights added are for more experienced lifters but are more efficient than, say 100 crunches daily. Almost everyone already has respectable abs but are just hidden behind layers of fat. Shed the weight if you want abs to show. Nutrition is more important than excercise itself when it comes to fat loss or muscle mass gain. Add in some HIIT training and a good weight lifting program and your body will turn into a calorie burning machine. Also, abs get a worked on when doing other workouts such as squats or lunges.
    Focus on large muscles before you start to target small muscles. The six pack will come in time.
    You obviously sound much more knowledgeable in this area than I do but I was speaking solely on personal experience, not research. I totally understand what you're saying, though, and it makes sense.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense. My plan was to target core and abs specifically twice a week. As I said earlier, I'm not interested in a defined six-pack, just strengthened abs in advance of pregnancy to avoid complications.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    BTW, what would you say is a good weight lifting program?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Rippetoe's Starting Strength is an excellent read for beginners. His 5x5 method works wonders on anyone.( novice or pro).
    And to add to the stretching comment....it is a must when lifting. Not so much before training but very important during and after.
    I've also done Max-OT, HST, and Westside with great results, but Starr's 5x5 is the best combo of size and strength IMO. Plus, it's easy to do if you don't have a gym membership, unlike some other programs.

Speaking of workout programs, a couple buddies of mine have recommended the Smolov Squat Cycle. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it all though, but I'm going to try. My squat is way behind my other lifts.

Thread Information