Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    weights are less important than cardio and eating healthy

Strength training is just as important for weight loss as cardio. By lifting weights, you build lean muscle tissue which raises metabolism and reduces body fat (as long as you're also watching your calorie intake). Not to mention it increases your strength, enabling you to do even more intense cardio.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Strength training is just as important for weight loss as cardio. By lifting weights, you build lean muscle tissue which raises metabolism and reduces body fat (as long as you're also watching your calorie intake). Not to mention it increases your strength, enabling you to do even more intense cardio.

+1

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ...um, yeah i know. its still not as important in losing weight as eating healthy and cardiovascular training. its just not. that being said, if you include some strength training it will help.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ...um, yeah i know. its still not as important in losing weight as eating healthy and cardiovascular training. its just not. that being said, if you include some strength training it will help.
    I tend to disagree just a bit. Of course I agree that eating healthy is the most important ingredient in fat loss. but I don't really agree that cardio is MORE important than strength training. Since weight loss is only achieved when the body burns more calories than consumed, any type of excercise can be sufficient. Weight training alone obviously burns calories as does cardio. When combined there will be faster results since...well even more calories are being lost. The biggest difference between cardio and weights is as mentioned before by another poster....larger muscles increases metabloism(burning more calories even when resting). Cardio on the other hand only burns calories while you are actually doing the excercise but the body immediately stops as soon as the session is done. Personally, I would rather strength train than perform cardio if I had to choose just one of the two for fat loss. I'm not trying to educate you in any way(you clearly have knowledge in fitness and health), just giving my two cents.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I tend to disagree just a bit. Of course I agree that eating healthy is the most important ingredient in fat loss. but I don't really agree that cardio is MORE important than strength training. Since weight loss is only achieved when the body burns more calories than consumed, any type of excercise can be sufficient. Weight training alone obviously burns calories as does cardio. When combined there will be faster results since...well even more calories are being lost. The biggest difference between cardio and weights is as mentioned before by another poster....larger muscles increases metabloism(burning more calories even when resting). Cardio on the other hand only burns calories while you are actually doing the excercise but the body immediately stops as soon as the session is done. Personally, I would rather strength train than perform cardio if I had to choose just one of the two for fat loss. I'm not trying to educate you in any way(you clearly have knowledge in fitness and health), just giving my two cents.

actually, your metabolism is sped up or slowed down through what you eat and how you exercise.

1) running increases metabolic rate
    2) aerobics increases metabolic rate
    3) biking increases metabolic rate
    4) walking increases metabolic rate
    5) lifting weights increases metabolic rate
    6) eating healthy increases metabolic rate
    7) drinking alcohol decreases metabolic rate
    8) eating carbs increases metabolic rate

...eating healthier and less is the most important factor in losing weight, followed by aerobic/cardiovascular activity followed by lifting weights. any girl who wants to lose weight or slim down should focus on either eating healthier, eating less, increases in their activity, or a combination of the three. weight lifting just isn't as important. fyi, you burn many more calories running or performing aerobics than you do lifting weights, and you still get the benefit of an increased metabolic rate as you do with lifting weights. any time you force the loss of calories you improve your metabolism. now, some people work harder than others, but this is in general.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    now, i am not trying to steer girls/guys away from weight lifting, shoot, i think you should do it. but, much more emphasis needs to be placed on diet and aerobic activity...not surprisingly thats the more difficult task.

all you girls that want more shape in your booty or body, weights is probably as good as anything in overcoming genetic limitations. do squats, straight back dead lifts and lunges for starters.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    actually, your metabolism is sped up or slowed down through what you eat and how you exercise.

1) running increases metabolic rate
    2) aerobics increases metabolic rate
    3) biking increases metabolic rate
    4) walking increases metabolic rate
    5) lifting weights increases metabolic rate
    6) eating healthy increases metabolic rate
    7) drinking alcohol decreases metabolic rate
    8) eating carbs increases metabolic rate

...eating healthier and less is the most important factor in losing weight, followed by aerobic/cardiovascular activity followed by lifting weights. any girl who wants to lose weight or slim down should focus on either eating healthier, eating less, increases in their activity, or a combination of the three. weight lifting just isn't as important. fyi, you burn many more calories running or performing aerobics than you do lifting weights, and you still get the benefit of an increased metabolic rate as you do with lifting weights. any time you force the loss of calories you improve your metabolism. now, some people work harder than others, but this is in general.
    Ok..now i strongly disagree.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle887.html

http://www.naturalchoice.net/articles/weightloss.htm

http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/...ing-vs-cardio/

http://www.nywellnessguide.com/fitne...Resistance.asp

Ideally you want to combine cardio and resistance training. But like I said before if I had to choose one for fat loss I would choose the latter. Cardio may speed up metabolism but nowhere near as much as weight training.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok..now i strongly disagree.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle887.html

http://www.naturalchoice.net/articles/weightloss.htm

http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/...ing-vs-cardio/

http://www.nywellnessguide.com/fitne...Resistance.asp

Ideally you want to combine cardio and resistance training. But like I said before if I had to choose one for fat loss I would choose the latter. Cardio may speed up metabolism but nowhere near as much as weight training.

i disagree, and those articles didn't disprove anything i said.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i disagree, and those articles didn't disprove anything i said.
    That was just a few articles from the thousands that came up on my search. It clearly proves that strength training burns more calories than cardio does(which is what I disagreed on in your post) Not only during the actual workout but after the workout is finished. Resting Metabolic rate is increased with weight training rather than cardio. Before I was lifting and just doing cardio 3 or 4 times a week, I could only consume around 2200 calories just to maintain my weight. Now that I've been lifting for a few years I have to consume around 3200 just to keep my weight. Obviously my metabolism is much faster now because weight lifting.

I'm not saying cardio is useless...far from it. I just disagree with the notion that cardio is MORE important than strength training for fat loss. In fact, if I was to give someone a weight loss program to follow, I would recommend a circuit training routine. Best of both worlds in one workout.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I haven't really gone through this thread so I don't know if this has been discussed... but I have a question about elliptical trainers. I've been looking to buy one but there's so many to choose from! I of course want a sturdy and comfortable elliptical. What should I expect to pay for one I can use daily? I was hoping to find a good one for $8-900 but I've read you have to spend more than $1,000 to get a good quality machine. Thoughts?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I haven't really gone through this thread so I don't know if this has been discussed... but I have a question about elliptical trainers. I've been looking to buy one but there's so many to choose from! I of course want a sturdy and comfortable elliptical. What should I expect to pay for one I can use daily? I was hoping to find a good one for $8-900 but I've read you have to spend more than $1,000 to get a good quality machine. Thoughts?
    Buy yourself a nice pair of comfortable running shoes and go for a run outside. You dont need to spend money on that crap. Trust me....SAME RESULTS.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Buy yourself a nice pair of comfortable running shoes and go for a run outside. You dont need to spend money on that crap. Trust me....SAME RESULTS.
    Better results, outside you're actually fighting gravity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't go running outside everyday because i have two bad knees, one that i had surgery on in 2006.. so i really want an elliptical so i can keep my legs strong. It's good on the knees and helped me a lot through physical therapy. Then again, another option is to join a gym and use their equipment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That was just a few articles from the thousands that came up on my search. It clearly proves that strength training burns more calories than cardio does(which is what I disagreed on in your post) Not only during the actual workout but after the workout is finished. Resting Metabolic rate is increased with weight training rather than cardio. Before I was lifting and just doing cardio 3 or 4 times a week, I could only consume around 2200 calories just to maintain my weight. Now that I've been lifting for a few years I have to consume around 3200 just to keep my weight. Obviously my metabolism is much faster now because weight lifting.

I'm not saying cardio is useless...far from it. I just disagree with the notion that cardio is MORE important than strength training for fat loss. In fact, if I was to give someone a weight loss program to follow, I would recommend a circuit training routine. Best of both worlds in one workout.
    i disagree bro, you don't burn more calories lifting weights than doing cardio while performing the activity and its very debatable, imo, which raises your metabolic rate more. and while it could be weights, i don't think its enough to overcome the difference in the higher caloric burning level of cardio.

granted if someone is lazy and doesn't push themselves at all, then maybe a half hazard weight workout will outperform cardio...there is many variables. i guarantee you 60 minutes of running at 8mph+ burns more calories than a regular 60 minute weight workout. furthermore, just pay attention to people in the gym, those that spend more time running, biking, and climbing tend to be much thinner than those who are more weight intensive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    just some interesting info...

calories burned per hour:

Weight lifting or body building, vigorous effort: 354-518

Running, 8 mph (7.5 min mile): 797-1165

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Get a Precor.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    just some interesting info...

calories burned per hour:

Weight lifting or body building, vigorous effort: 354-518

Running, 8 mph (7.5 min mile): 797-1165

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
    I don't know where I heard this from, but it was along the line of his:

Fact: Doing aerobic training will not help you lose weight in a substantial way.
    Fact: Combining aerobic training and a resistance training program will help you increase, your metabolism, burn fat, and build lean muscle.

I think it was a Bowflex infomercial, but the moral her is that resistance training (weights or otherwise) is as important as running/cardio in losing weight/increasing metabolism. And I agree with that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't know where I heard this from, but it was along the line of his:

Fact: Doing aerobic training will not help you lose weight in a substantial way.
    Fact: Combining aerobic training and a resistance training program will help you increase, your metabolism, burn fat, and build lean muscle.

I think it was a Bowflex infomercial, but the moral her is that resistance training (weights or otherwise) is as important as running/cardio in losing weight/increasing metabolism. And I agree with that.
    i don't think anyone is saying its not helpful or important...i am just saying its not as important as aerobic exercise. doing both is great.

...btw, the first "fact" is ridiculous. what's the persons diet, aerobic routine, etc?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Better results, outside you're actually fighting gravity.
    Actually, there are good reasons for doing elliptical or bicycling training instead of running, primarily the fact that they are much less detrimental to your knees. I tore a meniscus in October and haven't been able to do road work, but can still do the ellipticals.

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Actually, there are good reasons for doing elliptical or bicycling training instead of running, primarily the fact that they are much less detrimental to your knees. I tore a meniscus in October and haven't been able to do road work, but can still do the ellipticals.

I have shin splints, a bad hip and a bad knee so my running days have been over for a while.....but I can tear it up on my elliptical trainer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    SpursWoman do you own one yourself, or you go to a gym?

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Both ... but I bought a gym quality one at Fitness in Motion about 5 years ago to use when I can't go (I have 2 kids, so it's not always an option). I paid about $2400 for mine, but they have them in all price ranges. I'd recommend if you're going to spend a good amount of money on one, to get one with the cross-training bars so you can get the most workout for your money.

I think the brand of mine is Vision Fitness and the only thing I've had to do to it is tighten the screws on the cross bars, and it gets heavy use ... but Precor is very good, obviously. Also try a recycled sports shop, they sell barely-used preowned ones at a pretty good price.

I've got one like this, only a little older:

http://www.ellipticaltrainers.com/mo...sion_X6600.htm

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also try a recycled sports shop, they sell barely-used preowned ones at a pretty good price.

Those are the ones that were used as clothes racks!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Both ... but I bought a gym quality one at Fitness in Motion about 5 years ago to use when I can't go (I have 2 kids, so it's not always an option). I paid about $2400 for mine, but they have them in all price ranges. I'd recommend if you're going to spend a good amount of money on one, to get one with the cross-training bars so you can get the most workout for your money.

I think the brand of mine is Vision Fitness and the only thing I've had to do to it is tighten the screws on the cross bars, and it gets heavy use ... but Precor is very good, obviously. Also try a recycled sports shop, they sell barely-used preowned ones at a pretty good price.

I've got one like this, only a little older:

http://www.ellipticaltrainers.com/mo...sion_X6600.htm
    Thanks SW!

Thread Information