Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ...everything fitness, video gamers are welcome..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.drpribut.com/sports/hamstring.html

you athletes and the like work your hamstrings! its amazing how weak the average lifters legs are let alone their hamstrings.
    Last edited by johngateswhiteley; 01-04-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You know, beer and gambling can be really bad for you. You should stop wasting your time with it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Golds Gym or other???

I've been a memeber of Golds Gym for a while but I'm thinking of changing gyms. Suggestions?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Golds Gym or other???

I've been a memeber of Golds Gym for a while but I'm thinking of changing gyms. Suggestions?
    i'm not familiar with golds gym, especially in San Antonio. but i'd say go to whatever gym you feel comfortable at...some gyms are too crowded, intimidating, under equipped, etc. that being said, i was a member of Olympic Gym when i lived in San Antonio. no contracts, not expensive, and very well equipped. although, its a lifters gym and a bit light on cardio equipment.

i am not a fan of commercial gyms like spectrum, golds, and whatever else is out there. they tend to be crowded, too expensive, and contract heavy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i'm not familiar with golds gym, especially in San Antonio. but i'd say go to whatever gym you feel comfortable at...some gyms are too crowded, intimidating, under equipped, etc. that being said, i was a member of Olympic Gym when i lived in San Antonio. no contracts, not expensive, and very well equipped. although, its a lifters gym and a bit light on cardio equipment.

i am not a fan of commercial gyms like spectrum, golds, and whatever else is out there. they tend to be crowded, too expensive, and contract heavy.
    Thanks for the input. I specifically want to get out of Golds because of it being too crowded. Another thing that really, really bugs me is that 6 of 20 treadmills, 2 of 6 stair climbers, etc. etc. are out for maintenance. Seriously, fix your equipment; especially when your gym is that busy.

I want to look into Bally's or Spectrum. So, if anyone is a member or has been, any insight would be helpful.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    there's a way to play video games and stay in shape too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Richard Simmons trolls in 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Golds Gym or other???

Katy,

If you don't care about classes or swimming and just want a gym with weights, cardio machines, and machines, then check out Anytime Fitness. It's 24 hours (you need a key fob to open the door). They are opening up all over town now and the one I go to is never crowded. Sometimes I'm the only person there.

http://www.anytimefitness.com/experi....aspx?State=TX

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think I'm going to go back to my local Y.

It's actually cheaper than most of the gyms in the Chicago area, and they have no only a basketball court, but also a swimming pool. The trade off is that the classes there aren't free (and it's perhaps not quite as spotless as most gyms due to the high traffic), but I stick mostly to my own regimen anyway.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.drpribut.com/sports/hamstring.html

you athletes and the like work your hamstrings! its amazing how weak the average lifters legs are let alone their hamstrings.
    Alot of people waste their time using machines (leg extension, hamstring curls, etc..) which leads to weak legs. Much faster results and stronger legs come from free weights such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    I'm up to two situps and three pushups a day.

I try to keep the daily caloric intake to around 10,000 or so. Keeps me slender.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Alot of people waste their time using machines (leg extension, hamstring curls, etc..) which leads to weak legs. Much faster results and stronger legs come from free weights such as squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc..
    I completely agree.

Although if you are putting weight in a precarious place and you don't have a spotter, a machine can help in that regard.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Discovery and Bally are offering 2 months free:

http://health.discovery.com/ads/ad_i...t-started.html

... which will probably cause even more delays getting on the equipment.

Also, a good, free way to cure you of your idea that a gym membership will really be used.

The huge $cam is the marketing that convinces you that you need a gym membership to get/stay fit, like the $cams about diet products.

Good news is that you can stay obese/overweight (you probably will anyway) as long as you get exercise. ie, being fit is more important than losing weight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    I've started doing some pulldowns for the lats.....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    I think it's working pretty well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    The huge $cam is the marketing that convinces you that you need a gym membership to get/stay fit, like the $cams about diet products.
    It's only a scam if you don't use it. Even then, it's not a scam...it's your own fault for not going.

Being a member of a gym certainly helps you get/stay fit, but it's not going to do the working out for you.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The $cam is that you NEED a gym membership to get/stay fit, not whether you use it or not.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    College
    Miami Hurricanes
    i love going to the gym... i got a sweet deal about 3 years ago at 24 hour fitness.... i only pay 50 bucks per year now....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i love going to the gym... i got a sweet deal about 3 years ago at 24 hour fitness.... i only pay 50 bucks per year now....
    How the did you manage that deal?? I pay 25$ a month and I thought I had it made.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Been going to Golds for about 4yrs now........$29 a month

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If going to the gym is what someone needs to get them motivated to work out, then let the scams begin.

I know I'm not that fond of exercising outside when it's a gazillion degrees out with matching humidity as I'm sure people who live in colder climates aren't too fond of that when it's in the teens outside.

YMMV

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I paid off my Ballys a few years ago, and am on the $7/mo until I die maintenance plan. The only problem is that since we moved there's not one even close to being convenient for me to get to. There's both a Gold's and a Spectrum within walking distance, but then I'd obviously end up having to pay more than $7/mo.

I have a gym quality elliptical trainer and a loaded Bowflex at home, but I really like the classes (and the hot tub) at the gym.

Plus, I'm inclined to push myself harder when I go to the gym than when I workout alone.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I hate working out.

I've always naturally been very active, but actual "working out" with routines and reps and counting? Blech.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Getting/staying in shape is all about your state of mind. In early October I went on the scale and realized I was a chubby 219 lbs (at 5'11''). I reduced my calorie intake to 1,500 a day and gradually built up an exercise routine that consists of cardio, various pushup regimens, ab work, free weights for curls/tricep extensions/lat work, and resistance training. As of January 4th I am down to 191 lbs with a 1 1/2 inch gain in the biceps and chest. The only thing left is a little bit of love handles that take a while to get rid of.

Thread Information