I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    what kind of wisdom is involved in counting bowl stats now towards the season totals - but not retroactively counting them in the past?

for example, wells just passed griffin for single season rushing stats by an ohio state sop re. however, wells needed this game to surpass that, but griffin's 150 yards in the Rose Bowl are not counted.

now, that's a record of very little significance, but we saw others in danger of falling this year (i.e. Barry Sanders' single season rushing record to a guy averaging almost 75 yards less per game, despite that Sanders had almost 250 yards rushing in his bowl game that are not counted). i think my point stands.

i don't get it either, plus the seasons are longer now.

also, overtime stats count toward season totals, which is ing re ed.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    my beef with overtime is that a defensive game can have a final score in the 40s.

i would prefer that they score it like soccer does a game that goes to penalty kicks. the final score would still be the tie, then the overtime becomes it's own game - with the score in parenthesis and the stats not counting.

For example, the box would be: Arkansas defeats LSU, 28-28 (22-20 OT).

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    There was lots of discussion about that with the rushing record held by Barry.

Back in 1988, the NCAA did not count bowl games when tallying final season statistics. That changed beginning in 2003, but the NCAA does not include statistics retroactively. If it had, Sanders' season total counting the '88 Holiday Bowl would actually be 2,850 yards.

Sanders got credit for 11 games in '88 when he set his record. Smith's appearance in the Knights' bowl game was his 14th game this season, with the UCF Knights also having played 12 regular-season games and their conference championship game.

man Barry Sanders was so awesome, you would be hard pressed to put up numbers like that in Super Tecmo Bowl against the computer...

Thread Information