link

Mike Adams, the president of the NCAA executive committee, has proposed an eight-team college football playoff in a letter to NCAA president Myles Brand, according to a report in today's Atlanta Journal-Cons ution.

Adams, the president of the University of Georgia, made the proposal following last night's 38-24 LSU (12-2) victory over Ohio State (11-2), which made the Tigers the 2007 BCS National Champions.

The consideration of abolishing or changing the BCS is not new. In fact, the formula to pick the top two BCS teams to compete in the BCS national championship has changed almost annually since inception in 1999.

What is new, however, is a university president with the clout of Adams asking for a formal review of the BCS and proposing a playoff system for college football.

According to the AJC, Adams' proposal included an eight-team single-elimination tournament. Such a plan, Adams says, would not affect second-tier bowls, but would obviously interfere with the BCS bowls.

Adams hopes to discuss his proposal later this week in Nashville at NCAA meetings.

But before anything can be changed, several other apparent obstacles must be hurdled:

A system must be agreed upon. While Adams favors an eight-team playoff, other presidents have said they favor a "Plus One" game, which essentially amounts to a four-team playoff.

University presidents must vote on the process, and the AJC article quotes a president from both Oregon and Ohio State which oppose a playoff.

The BCS has a television pact with Fox Networks that runs through 2010. The Rose Bowl, however, while still a part of the BCS has a separate television contract with ABC, which runs through 2014. Either the new system would not initially include the Big 10 and Pac-10, which would seem unlikely but not impossible, or some sort of compromise amongst conferences and networks must be reached.

Even though the obstacles may be difficult to overcome, according to Adams, it's clear a playoff system is needed.

"This year's experience with the BCS forces me to the conclusion that the current system has lost public confidence and simply does not work," Adams said. "It is undercutting the sportsmanship and integrity of the game."

Football is the most popular college sport, yet it is the only sport that does not have a tournament where national championships are won and lost on the field of play in a tournament format. In fact, even within college football, only the highest level of play does not have a tournament, while its lower levels do.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm about to the point where I hope the NCAA tells the Big 10 and the Pac 10 that their champions are welcome to fellate each other at the Rose Bowl if they keep blocking a playoff. And it's interesting that these are two of the three D-1 conferences without a league championship game. (Yeah, I understand the 10/11 team vs 12 team league argument.) It's almost as if they enjoy not deciding things on the field.

There's enough fans of Pac 10 and Big 10 athletics on this board to tell me why the rest of D-1 football should give a about the stance of your 21 member schools against a playoff system. And I don't want to hear about the sacred Rose Bowl tradition like it's the Masters of football. Texas went there in consecutive seasons and beat a team from each conference.

So enlighten me.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I'm about to the point where I hope the NCAA tells the Big 10 and the Pac 10 that their champions are welcome to fellate each other at the Rose Bowl if they keep blocking a playoff. And it's interesting that these are two of the three D-1 conferences without a league championship game. (Yeah, I understand the 10/11 team vs 12 team league argument.) It's almost as if they enjoy not deciding things on the field.

There's enough fans of Pac 10 and Big 10 athletics on this board to tell me why the rest of D-1 football should give a about the stance of your 21 member schools against a playoff system. And I don't want to hear about the sacred Rose Bowl tradition like it's the Masters of football. Texas went there in consecutive seasons and beat a team from each conference.

So enlighten me.
    I would like to know as well. There seems to be an at ude that permeates through this part of the country. "Our football is better than anyone elses"...the Big 10 (by the way, you have 11 ing teams, if you can't count..don't add teams) has the philosophy of "the Big 10 le and Rose Bowl matter over all else". That is the way Bo and Woody thought and God forbid we think differently than Bo and Woody did. As bad as the Big 11 is....Notre Dame is worse....Hey Irish fan....your may not stink (as you believe) but your football sure as does. Where do you get off actually believing that you deserve special treatment. Join a conference or go to whatever bowl will take you. Although I can't blame Not worth a Dam totally, NBC's semi-weekly Irish lovefest/verbal fellatio marathon feed ND's ego and bank account and the NCAA doesn't have the balls to tell ND that its just another team.

To be fair, not all Big 11 fans are bad and some like Marklar want to change the status quo...however, its a long way off.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It's not a coincidence that two of the most exciting and compelling Rose Bowls in recent memory didn't involve a PAC-10/Big Ten matchup..

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    ahh yes, can't mess with the grand tradition of the rose bowl...PRESENTED BY CITI.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ahh yes, can't mess with the grand tradition of the rose bowl...PRESENTED BY CITI.

Of course the B1i1g 10 wants no part of a playoff. Under the current system, their overmatched champion gets into the le game every other year at least, thanks to media bias, and occasionally their opponent chokes the game away (see Miami, 2003). Under a playoff, that same dynamic only gets the B1i1g 10 a semifinal berth.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Of course the B1i1g 10 wants no part of a playoff. Under the current system, their overmatched champion gets into the le game every other year at least, thanks to media bias, and occasionally their opponent chokes the game away (see Miami, 2003). .
    no occassionally you can get an interference call 2 minutes after the game ends to change the outcome.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count

So enlighten me.

You're absolutely right. And, as a Michigan alum and a follower (not necessarily a fan) of the Big Ten, I can tell you there are plenty of fans of Big Ten schools that want to see some sort of playoffs as well.

At this point, I really do think it's all about ego and the fact that the Rose Bowl has long been considered the greatest bowl that they feel a playoff system would take something away from it. They don't realize the shine on the Rose Bowl and how it reflects the Big Ten and the Pac 10 has already worn off considerably.

Big Ten and especially schools like Michigan (I'm not afraid to say it) are so egotistical and arrogant about their traditions that it takes something really huge to get them to change course. That's why Michigan is so far behind in the times of college football. They're obnoxiously arrogant. And, it's over the top. And, now they are watching the rest of college football pass them by and laugh at them. Finally, getting a coach whether he's better or not to implement a more modern offensive system is a step in the right direction. Now, Michigan and the rest of the Big Ten and the Pac 10 have to swallow their stupid ing pride and agree to at least consider some sort of playoff system, at the very least, a plus-1.

You want to know why the Big Ten and Pac 10 are so opposed to it? It's because for so long, the Rose Bowl meant so much. As Keith Jackson would say, it's the grand daddy of all bowls. And, same thing with a Big Ten conference championship game. Michigan v. Ohio State was long considered the biggest rivalry in college football. Both schools and the Big Ten in general hate to relinquish that aura of hosting the best rivalry at the end of the season with the possibility of the last game not being that. It's stupid.

And, again, not all Big Ten fans and I imagine Pac 10 fans agree with how these conference are so against having a playoff system. Traditions are great. And, it's nice to have those long standing traditions to be proud of. But, change is also necessary. College football has evolved. And, the Big Ten and the Pac 10 are preventing the next inevitable evolutionary step from taking place.

It's stupid. And, there are plenty of us that want to see the change as well.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    ^ What he said. I want a playoff.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I used to give a about the Cotton Bowl. You guys will get over it, I promise.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I used to give a about the Cotton Bowl. You guys will get over it, I promise.
    Well, if the Rose Bowl takes its pie and goes home, the Cotton Bowl will become relevant again and you can start giving a .

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Well, if the Rose Bowl takes its pie and goes home, the Cotton Bowl will become relevant again and you can start giving a .
    Could happen....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls0...ory?id=3172508

Thread Information