Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Count
    Score one for Jimbo. Per NFL.com...

NEW YORK (Jan. 3, 2005) -- The San Francisco 49ers will make the first choice of the 2005 National Football League Draft on April 23-24, the league announced.

The 49ers' choice will be followed by the Miami Dolphins picking second and Cleveland Browns third. Draft-order ties are resolved by the ulative record of each team's opponents. The team with the weaker opponents receives drafting priority.

Within a tied segment, non-playoff clubs are given priority over playoff clubs. Priority of playoff clubs within a tied segment will be based on their advancement in the playoffs, but they will not drop out of their tied segment unless they participate in the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl champion will select 32nd and the runner-up 31st.

Link

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    Post Count
    I saw that last night during the Sugar Bowl & was like, "What the who what who?"

Post Count
    It's a sad day for the Cowboys when mere hours after the season is over...everybody is looking to the draft instead of the playoffs.
    Some of us didn't wait that long!

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    Post Count
    Some of us didn't wait that long!
    I was hoping them & Buf would lose a couple more games back in Nov to ensure a higher draft pick. I say now like I've said before, a real fan deals with realism & I knew realistically that the 'Boys wouldn't win the SB even if they got in the playoffs. I ask all 'Boy bashers, can you name your team & who you think might win the SB? Only real adults need answer.

Post Count
    some posters lack the ability to pick a team. they choose two or three in hopes of getting one right. The good ones though pick their team and stick with them no matter what. Like Ducks, Jim and Zak do with the Skins and you, me, Hook and Scott do with the Cowboys.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    I'm a Cowboys fan...through thick and thin. But I'm also a realist...I actually didn't want them to lose the last two games. As long as I got to see Henson or Romo...but of course.. Parcells is a re and didn't let them play so I was disappointed.

I'd have actually wanted Buffalo to lose so the Cowboys could get a higher pick. But you just gotta make do.

Post Count
    you are such a ing liar, Duff. You said in this very forum that you liked San Francisco and Dallas. You have also said that you were glad that Owens pulled his crap w/SF because you didn't like the way the team was going and wanted to see them get beat.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Score one for Jimbo. Per NFL.com...

NEW YORK (Jan. 3, 2005) -- The San Francisco 49ers will make the first choice of the 2005 National Football League Draft on April 23-24, the league announced.

The 49ers' choice will be followed by the Miami Dolphins picking second and Cleveland Browns third. Draft-order ties are resolved by the ulative record of each team's opponents. The team with the weaker opponents receives drafting priority.

Within a tied segment, non-playoff clubs are given priority over playoff clubs. Priority of playoff clubs within a tied segment will be based on their advancement in the playoffs, but they will not drop out of their tied segment unless they participate in the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl champion will select 32nd and the runner-up 31st.

Link
    Jim... Score one for scott, I pointed this out first!

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Also, DJ might not be there at 11, but Ahmad Brooks (LB from UVA) might be... I'd like to see us draft him.

A lot of directions we could take with the higher of the two picks... guys I'd keep an eye on:

Ahmad Brooks LB
    Mike Williams WR
    Braylon Edwards WR(I think one of the two will slip)
    Mathias Kiwanuka DE (6'7" DE with tons of speed... bust potential though, IMO... see Ekubust)
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT (probably no chance of falling this far)
    Alex Barron OT

With the second pick, there are a few guys we could take, mostly on defense, but none that really stick out. This is a pretty weak draft- not one you'd be too excited about having 2 first rounders in. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded out of the second first rounder to pick up some more 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Here are the guys I'd be interested in with the #20 pick:

Marlin Jackson CB
    Carlos Rodgers CB
    Anattaj Hawthorne DT
    Rodrique Wright DT
    David Pollack DE
    Erasmus James DE
    Thomas Davis S
    Channing Crowder LB

Sadly, half of those guys won't be around at that point in the draft only because it is so weak... any other year they go late first round.

I wouldn't be opposed to losing one of our two first rounders to SD for Brees and using the other pick on the best player available.

Post Count
    My bad....upon further review...the call on the field is reversed...first down, Scott.

I wouldn't be opposed to losing one of our two first rounders to SD for Brees and using the other pick on the best player available.
    I could live with that. If Williams or Edwards could slip and then get James or Pollack? Damn, that would be nice.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Upon further review, this might be the least excited I've been going into an offseason in a long time... as of right now, these are the only players with a future in Dallas that extends beyond 1 or 2 years...

Julius Jones
    Jason Witten
    Roy Williams
    Terrence Newman
    Al Johnson

There are a couple other solid pieces in Glover, Ellis, and Allen- but they aren't spring chickens. This team has a long way to go... and this is both a weak year for FA and the Draft.

IMO, this is the best case scenario:

Free Agengency pickups:

1. Solid vet #2 CB... Ken Lucas, Andre Dyson, Anthony Henry, Fred Smoot, Jimmy Williams come to mind as FAs

2. John Abraham from the Jets. This is really the only FA DE worth signing. If we don't get him, I say we use one of the two first round draft picks on a DE.

3. QB Drew Brees or Matt Hasselbeck. Brees will likely cost a first rounder. Matt will be UFA.

4. Either OLB Julian Peterson or ILB Kendrell Bell. ILB Edge Hartwell from Baltimore and Antonio Pierce from the Deadskins would be other targets (I suspect Pierce will get a nice deal from the Skins though).

5. WR Jerry Porter from Oakland. Great potential- in the right opportunity I think he shines.

Assuming we can make those signings... here is how I see the draft shaking up:

1a (if we don't lose it for Brees) - Ahmad Brooks
    1b - Hawthorne or a guy I forgot... DT Ngata- huge run stuffing DT- exactly what we need next to Glover
    2 - S Thomas Davis if he manages to slip (doubtful, but possible), G Elton Brown, DE Dan Cody (tweener guy that could be a 3-4 OLB), or CB Jimmy Williams who will switch to S (played there last year)
    4 - one of the RB prospects on the board... I would give a look at Sproles... he is tiny, but we don't need any every down back, just someone to give Julius a blow and he would be a great return guy... I could see him being the Cowboy's version of Dave Meggett (yep... a Parcells guy). We could take care of backup RB in FA... maybe Davenport from GB or Lamont Jordan.

Picks 5-7 would be reserved for obscure players that only Bill Parcells has heard of (see the last 2 drafts)

Thread Information