Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

you guys come from the school of thought that says long, overextended songs in live sets are an accomplishment in and of themselves.
    gee, i guess i need to think differently of coltrane now.

Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that? pussyface's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    gee, i guess i need to think differently of coltrane now.
    if you find a thread about coltrane, it won't consist of teenagers talking about how long tracks lasted when they were played live.

as i said in the first place, length for the sake of length isn't really a virtue. the claim you are arguing against, that musicians with extraordinarily long songs are automatically bad, was never made by me or anyone else. (strawman, yes yes?)

the opinions on this thread reminded me of being back in high school and hearing everyone I went to school with rave about how transcendently talented Dave Mathews was for boring them all with 45 minute versions of 'ants marching', thats all.
    Last edited by pussyface; 02-01-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    if you find a thread about coltrane, it won't consist of teenagers talking aobut how long tracks lasted when they were played live.

as a said in the first place, length for the sake of length isn't really a virtue.

the opinions on this thread reminded me of being back in high school and hearing everyone I went to school with rave about how transcendently talented Dave Mathews was for boring them all with 45 minute versions of 'ants marching', thats all.
    well i'd put mars volta quite a bit ahead of dave matthews. that's just what i think personally. the matthews band has all great musicians except for what has to be their best friend in the whole wide word, the sax player, which has no talent whatsoever.

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    if you find a thread about coltrane, it won't consist of teenagers talking aobut how long tracks lasted when they were played live.

as a said in the first place, length for the sake of length isn't really a virtue.

what about length for the sake of taking an established song and adding something new to it? the last show i went to was qotsa in dallas. they took a song that they wrote in 1998 and basically changed everything about it except for the words. different guitar, different drums, different everything.

it was 10 minutes long as opposed to the original songs length of about 4 minutes.

is that length for lengths sake? youre talking out of your ass.

Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that? pussyface's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    well i'd put mars volta quite a bit ahead of dave matthews. that's just what i think personally. the matthews band has all great musicians except for what has to be their best friend in the whole wide word, the sax player, which has no talent whatsoever.
    good musicians are a dime a dozen.
    mars volta and dave mathews are obvious examples of technically proficient musicians in the service of artless, meandering hackery.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    what about length for the sake of taking an established song and adding something new to it? the last show i went to was qotsa in dallas. they took a song that they wrote in 1998 and basically changed everything about it except for the words. different guitar, different drums, different everything.

it was 10 minutes long as opposed to the original songs length of about 4 minutes.

is that length for lengths sake? youre talking out of your ass.
    how many posts were there that raved about how long songs are live?
    mars volta people have a strong tendency to FETISHIZE the out of this trait.

in pointing this out, I hit a nerve. thats why im getting such a strong response from marsvoltaworld

Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    good musicians are a dime a dozen.
    mars volta and dave mathews are obvious examples of technically proficient musicians in the service of artless, meandering hackery.
    eh. po-tay-toe. po-tot-oh. you like and call it what you want. one thing is that there are musicians and then there are button pushers. you listen to musicians actually playing their instruments, you tend to gravitate towards that genre, whatever genre that might be, and stop listening to button pushers. if you tend to listen to button pushers, you tend to think actual musicians are artless, meandering hackers.

Scratch that ToughActinTinactin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't like it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    And your friends and family too.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves. I nearly had a stroke on about track two of Bedlam in Goliath.

This cd is almost as good as De-Loused in the Comatorium, by far their second best.

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ill be at the austin show in april. get your tix train.

NT? more like SO i said
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    rofl another mono vs pussyface classic

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Overrated. Ok, you like obscure music. Youre cool, ok? Is it ok now? We know, you dont listen to popular music because youre "different' and "out of the mainstream", happy now emo kid?

Blow. Me.
    rofl. What a re ed post. Don't care if it's 3 years old.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    rofl

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    the language that you have employed in this argument is further proof (as if that were needed) of how poorly you do in talking exchanges between the two of us.

distinctive words like "masturbatory" and " y" have been directly copied from what I wrote making fun of you, mr. 6,000 posts in 6 months. You even used to respond to my posts by whining about me using words like " y" and " gy"

if you can't beat 'em join 'em, eh?
    any chance you will acknowledge your respect for me and my rhetoric that you have coopted, or you will write this off to coincedence?

by the way, disregard this mono guy's take on music. he is a high-school aged emo . his idea of a relevent album in the year 2007 is "zeitguist" by the Smashing Pumpkins (no, I am not making this up)
    rofl the "out of nowhere" insult goods from pussyface per par etc

Thread Information