Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY!!! YODA's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Found this Article and havent seen it posted. Give some nice props to TD. If its already out there,please delete this thread.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...han_just_power

The definitions have blurred over the years with the advent of such amazing athleticism in the NBA. Size alone used to dictate position, not skill level. Not anymore. We’ll see 7-footers grab a rebound and drain pull-up 3-pointers.
    That would be Dirk Nowitzki, of course, the 7-foot power forward for the Mavericks. Seeing him as often as we have over the past six years or so is enough to consider how the position has evolved. We’ll discuss the best power forwards over the years for their skills, ending with whom we believe to be the best.

But let’s begin with a little history.

It really began with Bob Pet , the rookie of the year in 1955 and star of the World Championship St. Louis Hawks of 1958 to Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan of today. Pet was a raw-boned, tough 6-9, 215 pounds – equally capable of taking it to the rim or draining the 17-foot jumper. He wasn’t a great athlete, but athletic enough to make every play in his day and finish his 11-year career averaging 26.4 points and 16.2 rebounds – and with 12,851 boards, he’s still the all-time leading rebounder in Hawks history. Philadelphia’s Dolph Schayes was a similar player to Pet , although his talent didn’t reach the same level.

But the position, which included superb defenders like Satch Sanders, changed dramatically from the likes of Pet and Jerry Lucas as the 1960s gave way to the 1970s and players got bigger and stronger. There were always ‘tweeners like Dave DeBusschere – just as there were always enforcers like Rudy LaRusso, Tom Meschery, Gus Johnson, Bill Bridges and Luke Jackson, and they gave way to the likes of Maurice Lucas.

They spawned the spectacular play of Spencer Haywood and Elvin Hayes, and the earliest standard of all-around skills in George McGinnis.

But the prototype progressed from mostly defensive orientation to scoring as we got to the 1980s. Buck Williams was a throwback of raw toughness and defensive orientation, but he could also score. And as the Boston Celtics regained prowess, Kevin McHale became the new archetype, with extraordinary low-post moves and touch, plus long arms and hands that made him an exceptional defender. Shortly thereafter was the arrival of the powerful Karl Malone. Blessed with great hands and defensive instincts, he developed a mid-range jumper that would make him the second-most prolific scorer in NBA history. Shawn Kemp and Derrick Coleman were about the same size as Malone with far better natural skills – arguably the most talented power forwards ever – but they never had the heads to go along with their gifts.

That brought a flurry of new faces – beginning with the most unlikely of the power forward superstars – the 6-4 3/4 Charles Barkley, who could dominate the game with rebounds, running the floor or scoring in so many ways. He initially weighed nearly 300 pounds but eventually molded down below 260 and was at his best. Along that same path came Chris Webber, always teasing us with amazing skills, but never quite reaching the lofty expectations of coaches, the media and teammates. The same goes for Rasheed Wallace.

Nonetheless, it was Barkley who ushered us in to the new breed of today, led by the group of amazing 7-footers - Duncan, Garnett and Nowitzki – and the best youngsters of today, Amare Stoudemire and Chris Bosh.

From all of that, we’ll pick the best at each power forward skill set:

Best scorer: Karl Malone
    Best rebounder: Charles Barkley
    Best shooter: Dirk Nowitzki
    Best passer: Chris Webber
    Best athleticism: Shawn Kemp
    Best low-post moves: Kevin McHale
    Best defender: Buck Williams
    Best ball-handler: Kevin Garnett

And that, of course, leaves us with Duncan as the best overall. He can do everything on both ends of the floor, including one of the most picturesque perimeter bank shots the NBA has ever seen. Granted, many people still refer to him as a center. But he came into the league as the forward to David Robinson on the Spurs. And from the time Robinson retired in 2003, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has always put a less-skilled BLEEP er at center so Duncan could exhibit his exceptional ability away from the basket when needed.

And that’s why we’ll stick with Duncan and his four NBA championship rings as the standard for power forwards

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's here, it's a great article, but it didn't get much response.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86964
    Last edited by duncan228; 02-13-2008 at 12:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan owns all.

Believe.
    My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count
    As someone who isn't a Spur fan i completely agree Timmy is the best ever. The sad thing is he will probably never get his due playing in a smaller market and not being flashy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way in was Buck Williams a better defensive player than Tim Duncan.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way in was Buck Williams a better defensive player than Tim Duncan.
    Yea, none of them were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And from the time Robinson retired in 2003, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has always put a less-skilled BLEEP er at center so Duncan could exhibit his exceptional ability away from the basket when needed.
    I was interested in what exactly a "less-skilled BLEEPer" was so I clicked on the link and after agreeing to get the non-censored version, it turned out to be "less-skilled banger".

FoxSports censors the word "bang"?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best scorer: Karl Malone
    Best rebounder: Charles Barkley
    Best shooter: Dirk Nowitzki
    Best passer: Chris Webber
    Best athleticism: Shawn Kemp
    Best low-post moves: Kevin McHale
    Best defender: Buck Williams
    Best ball-handler: Kevin Garnett

They completely ignored the intangibles like "leadership ability", "makes teammates better".. also was Buck Williams a better defender than Duncan.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am a free man I can say BANG !!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was interested in what exactly a "less-skilled BLEEPer" was so I clicked on the link and after agreeing to get the non-censored version, it turned out to be "less-skilled banger".

google it, rasho comes up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice thread Yoda.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a comment to that article that has a great point that TD is a great "decision- maker", maybe not the most physically gifted ever but a guy who plays the smartest. I agree with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way is Buck Williams better than Duncan on defense.
    And I always thought Karl Malone was overrated as a scorer, yes he is #2 in all-time scoring, but I find McHale, Barkley and Duncan being a better scorer because they create most of their offense, where as Karl Malone benefits more from having Stockton as his teammate.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Buck was a damn good defender...but you're right, Duncan was better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He left off the 'best enforcer" category in his final list and this has always been a job description of the classic power forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

they obviously don't approve of hotdogs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    john stockton ought to be awarded a third of malone's career points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we should stick to the le the author gave to the article to help avoid double posting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buck was a damn good defender...but you're right, Duncan was better.

Are you drunk?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He left off the 'best enforcer" category in his final list and this has always been a job description of the classic power forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, passed out by now!

Banned
    My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not as good as Tim Duncan that's for sure

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just call them bigs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    john stockton ought to be awarded a third of malone's career points.
    its also a skill to set screens well.

malone has to read that stockton wants to go away from the screen here and then roll in sync with stockton to be in perfect alignment with that pocket pass.

here he has to read that stockton doesnt like how he came off that first screen and wants to pull the defender back into a second screen, and if he reads that wrong, say he rolls there as many bigs will do in that situation, stockton doesnt get his second screen the play breaks apart and he has to go 1v1. that happens to the spurs a lot now.

all basketball is, is choreography. a lot of that was stockton, but malone had a big part too.
    Last edited by Tragedy; 03-01-2020 at 03:31 AM.

Thread Information