Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Jan. 6, 2005, 11:33PM

Pastorini, Moon have been in Carr's situation
    Boos part of job, but dumping beer on QB's family can't be tolerated
    By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

The fan who poured beer on Melody Carr and other members of quarterback David Carr's family at Reliant Stadium on Sunday is guilty of just about the most cowardly and reprehensible act possible at an NFL game.

And if you witnessed it and failed to get security to arrest the moron who did it, you're just as guilty.

What happened to Melody Carr, who is pregnant with the couple's third child, is so disgusting that anyone who has information about it should call the Texans immediately, and they should launch an investigation. Fans like that should be exposed and prosecuted.

Booing Carr is one thing because he's the franchise quarterback, and it goes with the territory, but taking out your frustration on his family is so shameful it almost defies explanation.

Reading the daily letter on Page C2 of Wednesday's Chronicle describing the disgraceful treatment Carr's family received during the loss to the Browns brought back memories of similar treatment Dan Pastorini and Warren Moon suffered when they played quarterback for the Oilers.

Carr handled the booing with class. During his regular postgame news conference, Carr said he would have booed, too. On his Monday morning spot on Sports Radio 610 AM, Carr said he understood the fans' frustration, didn't take it personally and accepted blame. He never brought up how his family had been treated. Now that it's become public, Carr still doesn't want to comment.

Fortunately, Carr understands that idiots like the one who doused his family with beer represent a small segment of Houston, but, unfortunately, they tarnish the image of those Texans fans who are loyal, enthusiastic and supportive.

Requested trade
    Pastorini, the Oilers' No. 1 pick in 1971, suffered through one losing season after another and was able to withstand the kind of beatings that usually take place in a boxing ring. Those who played with Pastorini were amazed at the physical pain he endured.

Finally, it was mental anguish that caused his exit from Houston.

In 1978, the first of two consecutive AFC Championship Game seasons for the Oilers under coach Bum Phillips, Pastorini played hurt.

He took shots in his ribs and wore a shoulder brace. The flak jacket was invented to protect him.

More than once, when Pastorini was injured and lying on the Astrodome's artificial surface, the fans cheered.

And he never forgot it.

After they lost at Pittsburgh to come one step short of the Super Bowl, Pastorini asked Phillips to trade him.

Phillips asked Pastorini to play one more season, and if he felt the same way, he promised to trade him.

In 1979, Pastorini and the Oilers played their second AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh and lost again.

"On the plane ride home, Bum came up to me and asked if I still wanted to be traded," Pastorini said Thursday. "He didn't think I'd say yes, but I did. At the time, I was uncertain about my arm, and I was just an emotional wreck."

After the 1979 season, Phillips traded Pastorini to Oakland for quarterback Kenny Stabler. Today, both Phillips and Pastorini regret their decision — Phillips for agreeing to do it and Pastorini for asking his coach to live up to their agreement.

"When I heard what happened to Carr and his family, it brought back some bad memories for me," Pastorini said. "When my family came to games, it would kill me to hear how they were treated.

"I think Houston has the greatest fans in the world. They're devoted, and they're understanding. Only a few do things like that, but let me tell you, it's gut-wrenching to have to experience it. I'm not talking about getting booed because that's part of the game.

"I'm talking about things your family experiences at games."

Miserable memories
    It's difficult to imagine a player's family having a worse experience at home games than Moon's did after signing the largest contract in NFL history — $5.5 million over five years — in 1984. The Oilers struggled during his first three seasons, and Moon became a piñata for defensive linemen who used him for target practice.

Felicia Moon and her children sat in the players' section at the Astrodome. Some fans who sat close to them and knew who they were yelled racial slurs at Moon's wife and children.

At the time, Moon said he had been conditioned to block out racial slurs because he'd been hearing them since he became a quarterback, but it was getting so bad at the Astrodome he was going to recommend that his family not attend games.

"The toughest thing was trying to explain the reasons for it to my son at my locker after games," Moon said Thursday. "When I first found out what they were going through, I was angry, but I was also upset because I couldn't help them."

When the Oilers started winning in 1987, Moon and his family weren't subjected to as much abuse. Moon will be the first to tell you that, overall, he was treated well by the fans of Houston, but like Pastorini and now Carr, it was that one segment that can almost ruin it for everyone.

Like Pastorini and Moon, Carr understands fans are going to take out their frustration on him. But how does he explain to his kids the behavior of Houston fans who screamed at their family during games, calling their father the ugliest names they could think of, and, finally, dousing their mother with beer?

It's almost inexplicable to anyone with a conscience, but for those geranium brains out there, let's make it simple so you can understand: There's s in every pond. Including ours, unfortunately.

Post Count
    that is just wrong. pouring a beer on a players wife is reprehensible enough but add to that she is pregnant? find out who it was and ban them for life.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    what is sad is I probably know clowns like that over there in Houston, it wouldn't surprise me once they get arrested or whatever i know them.

idiots

From Houstonians, no doubt.

Props to Carr for trying to keep it calmed down. Man, whoever did that should be rightly -slapped by a D-Lineman.

Hey Carr! Look to the north/northwest of Houston, the Cowboys and their fans would welcome you with open arms!!!!

It's beyond me how idiotic fans like this think that it's thier God given right to act like this because thay paid the price of admission. in' morons.

Post Count
    get a belt to spank those idiots

Thread Information