Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I will be in Houston and then South Padre Island this summer. Any residents from those areas have any suggestions on places I should visit/eat/recreation at. I hope to see an Astros game for one.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the beach

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    is this your idea of a vacation? good luck with that.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Trust me I know. Thats why Im asking for advice on anything to do. Its kind of a forced vacation. Visiting family. I want to make the best of it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The Scott Street strip is a great place to hang out in the summer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Trust me I know. Thats why Im asking for advice on anything to do. Its kind of a forced vacation. Visiting family. I want to make the best of it.
    oh ok. you should get a guided fishing trip

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Kemah Boardwalk.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cross the border

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Cross the border

...........and then go to boys town.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Make sure to visit the 'pharmacy' first.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ty bars

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    If you like going to museums, the museum district in Houston is badass - there's Natural Science, Fine Arts, and Contemporary Art (the latter being free, BTW) - there are also a bunch of art galleries in the area. The Rothko Chapel, Menil Collection, and Byzantine Chapel are all must-sees if you're an art fan. You should check the theatre schedules before you go, because there's always good stuff going on downtown.

As for places just kind of to hang out, the Arboretum is huge and really pretty. Granted, it will be Houston in the summer, so wear tons of deodorant and loose cotton clothing lest you end up wishing for death. Same goes for the zoo. Really, if you're not on the coast, you're going to want as much air conditioned recreation as possible. Moody Gardens is fun, the rainforest pyramid is great. Galveston is a good place for day trips and overnights.

There is a TON of good food in Houston - little Vietnam is right off downtown, and Van Loc's is a place that my friends and I have always enjoyed. If you're looking for burgers, there is a place underneath (literally) the West Park tollroad that serves buffalo burgers that are awesome - it's called Bubba's Texas Burger Shack. Montrose Cafe serves great Belgian food. Empire Cafe is one of my favorite places in town for coffee and dessert. For late night coffee I like Agora (they also have really great baklava). Niko Niko's for Greek food.

For the best shrimp po'boy ever, go to Ragin' Cajun. Colina's in Meyerland for pizza. Cafe Adobe for fried ice cream - seriously - and the chicken tacos are really good, too. And last, but not least, for a Houston middle of the night tradition, the House of Pies is classic. At least twenty varieties of pie every day.

I haven't lived in or spent much time in Houston since I've been of drinking age, so I can't really give you too much advice on bars, etc., but I'm sure someone else will know.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Jekka, you haven't lived in Houston since you were six?

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    Jekka, you haven't lived in Houston since you were six?
    "LEGAL" drinking age, rather. I drank in Houston, just not legally or in bars

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    If you like going to museums, the museum district in Houston is badass - there's Natural Science, Fine Arts, and Contemporary Art (the latter being free, BTW) - there are also a bunch of art galleries in the area. The Rothko Chapel, Menil Collection, and Byzantine Chapel are all must-sees if you're an art fan. You should check the theatre schedules before you go, because there's always good stuff going on downtown.

As for places just kind of to hang out, the Arboretum is huge and really pretty. Granted, it will be Houston in the summer, so wear tons of deodorant and loose cotton clothing lest you end up wishing for death. Same goes for the zoo. Really, if you're not on the coast, you're going to want as much air conditioned recreation as possible. Moody Gardens is fun, the rainforest pyramid is great. Galveston is a good place for day trips and overnights.

There is a TON of good food in Houston - little Vietnam is right off downtown, and Van Loc's is a place that my friends and I have always enjoyed. If you're looking for burgers, there is a place underneath (literally) the West Park tollroad that serves buffalo burgers that are awesome - it's called Bubba's Texas Burger Shack. Montrose Cafe serves great Belgian food. Empire Cafe is one of my favorite places in town for coffee and dessert. For late night coffee I like Agora (they also have really great baklava). Niko Niko's for Greek food.

For the best shrimp po'boy ever, go to Ragin' Cajun. Colina's in Meyerland for pizza. Cafe Adobe for fried ice cream - seriously - and the chicken tacos are really good, too. And last, but not least, for a Houston middle of the night tradition, the House of Pies is classic. At least twenty varieties of pie every day.

I haven't lived in or spent much time in Houston since I've been of drinking age, so I can't really give you too much advice on bars, etc., but I'm sure someone else will know.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help. I'll look into some of your suggestions.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    College
    Houston Cougars
    Go to Schlitterbahn in Galveston.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Go visit my uncle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    College
    Houston Cougars
    Go to Kemah. They built a new rollercoaster there. I went yesterday. Fun.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    Go to a Houston Rockets game.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    I live in Houston, and I couldn't tell you a damn thing to do around here. to Jekka's recommendation of Bubba's Burgers. That place kicks ass!!!

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    I live in Houston, and I couldn't tell you a damn thing to do around here. to Jekka's recommendation of Bubba's Burgers. That place kicks ass!!!
    Dude, FotoFest is going on right now, there's stuff to do! Also, if you haven't been to the St Arnold's Brewery, that's something you should do ASAP. I love those people.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    College
    Houston Cougars
    go to schlitterbahn on spi
    Galveston's is bigger and better.

If you want some good eats, go to Frenchy's in Third Ward and Timmy Chan's off of Scott Street at the intersection with Griggs in Third Ward.

Never Forget David HighLowLobForBig-50's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    the downtown aquarium restaurant. i heard its badass

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    College
    Houston Cougars
    It's pretty good. Go to Kemah and they have some pretty nice seafood joints out there. I don't remember the name of it though (the one I ate at yesterday), but they look like shack houses. The best I can do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you want to go somewhere you will never, ever forget, visit the Holocaust Museum in Houston.

http://www.hmh.org/

Thread Information