Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, you just did not answer Rick's question....you just said that 2 had HCA over 7.
    I answered it in my response to exstatic. Rick said he thought he recalled a non-HCA team hosting last year or the year before in the first round. What I said was that 2 had a better record than 7 in both cases.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I answered it in my response to exstatic. Rick said he thought he recalled a non-HCA team hosting last year or the year before in the first round. What I said was that 2 had a better record than 7 in both cases.

He did not say that. How can a "non HCA" team host anything. That statement is an oxymoron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to clarify some possible misunderstandings

Since the 2004 realignment, the HCA is determined by the team record, independently of the playoff seeding. I think this is clear for everyone.

I believe this is actually a rule change from previous years, important enough that required the NBA to explicitly clarify it in the news releases.

I recall that in previous years, the rules were as follows:

a) First round, the HCA was determined by playoff seeding.
    b) Other rounds, the HCA was determined by team record (w/ tie-breakers if records were tied).

As Travis pointed out, we cannot confirm this rule with a particular playoff series because in 2002 and 2003, both 1st and 2nd playoff seeded teams had better record than the 7th and 8th teams. Nevertheless, this doesn't mean that the rule was not in place.

I remember this because of the probability (albeit very low!) that a division would suck so much and a 2nd playoff seeded would have HCA when playing a team with a better record. With only 2 divisions per conference, this event would have really low probability of actually happening.

With the realignment in 2004, the probability increased drastically, and the NBA decided to determine HCA advantage only by team record. This is because the probability of a 3rd (bad record, bad division) vs 6th (good record, good division) mismatch in the first round is higher.

I found the following on the web regarding the seeding/HCA system the previous years, although it is not officially from the NBA:

"However, the seeding system has one feature that is unusual in North American sports. Division champions are only guaranteed home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Although the playoff brackets are not reseeded, home-court advantage in later rounds is based strictly on regular-season record, without regard to whether a team won its division.
    Having a higher seed offers several advantages. Since the first seed plays the eighth seed, the second seed plays the seventh seed, the third seed plays the sixth seed, and the fourth seed plays the fifth seed in the playoffs, having a higher seed generally means you will be facing a weaker team. In addition, when a team plays another team with a lower seed than them in the first round, the first team gains home court advantage, meaning that it will play more games at home than away. In later rounds, the team with the best regular season record receives home court advantage. Therefore, the team with the best record receives home court advantage throughout the playoffs."

Anyway, I don't think this is that important

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never remember record not determining HCA in any round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What am I, chopped liver?
    No, but since it is so rare that Jim is correct, it's always worth pointing out when it occurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but since it is so rare that Jim is correct, it's always worth pointing out when it occurs.

Ah...you do have a point. Thanks for the reminder.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shoog, God will get you for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoog, God will get you for that.

Personally, I'm thinking sainthood...

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Travis, sainthood?

You mean, move over St Christopher, I could have this on my dashboard from now on then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding 1st.round division winners have HCA, after that teams with better record have HCA.2001 or 2002 playoffs SPURS were division winners and the Lakers were a 4th. seed but in 2nd. round Lakers had HCA.over the SPURS.

Nostradamas Jr.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, HCA is given to best record team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The East...but where is the le at? Exactly...case closed.

I'll bet the East won't steal a le again. Lakers had a chance to win, but because of the fact that they NEVER expected to lose, they got raped.

Other than that, Pistons don't probably deserve it, they aren't that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Travis, sainthood?

You mean, move over St Christopher, I could have this on my dashboard from now on then?

Kinda cute, dontcha think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From NBA.com:

Home-court advantage throughout the NBA playoffs will be based solely on regular season record, not playoff seeding, thus a divisional winner that has a higher playoff seed than an opponent will not necessarily have home-court advantage in the playoff series.
    So, yes, Orlando would have HCA over Philadelphia.

This is really a bad setup, IMO. How can they justify the #6 getting HCA, when the #5 seed with a better record does not? How can they justify the #6 seed getting to play an easier first-round opponent than the #4 seed? For that matter, the #6 seed may get the easiest draw in the first round. Dumb. If my team is in fifth place, I may just tank the last few games to fall down a slot.

Thread Information