A "Where Are They Now" update for anyone who has read or seen Friday Night Lights...

ACU Optimist

Gaines accepts Odessa's AD position
Committee to conduct search for new coach throughout January

Kyle Robarts, Sports Writer
January 14, 2005

Many familiar faces will return to the ACU Wildcat football team for the 2005 season, but head coach Gary Gaines won't be one of them.

After five seasons with the team, Gaines accepted a job as the athletic director of the Ector County Independent School District in Odessa. His resignation at ACU was official Jan. 7.

The Ector district includes Odessa and Permian high schools from District 3-5A, which Abilene and Cooper high schools are a part of.

Gaines said that ECISD pursued him before Christmas, and initially he turned down the position but later reconsidered.

"It was an opportunity that probably at my age you don't know if those chances will ever come open again," Gaines said.

Gaines spent time in Odessa from 1986-89 as the head football coach at Permian High School. He won a state championship in 1989 and had his 1988 season portrayed in the national best-selling book Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger. Actor Billy Bob Thornton played Gaines when the book made the big screen last October.

Gaines' start at the ACU football program was rough, as the team went 1-9 in the 2000 season followed by a slightly improved 3-8 2001 campaign. However, in his past three seasons, the team went a combined 17-13, shared the Lone Star Conference South Division le in 2002, and in his last season, knocked off Tarleton State and Texas A&M-Kingsville on the road. Both teams were ranked in the top 10 in the nation at the time of defeat.

"I think coach Gaines has done a tremendous amount for our program," said ACU athletic director Jared Mosley. "He took us to where we've been able to compete the last three years for a conference championship. He did it the right way, and he didn't feel like he needed to turn it around over night, and I think that's going to help the next guy that comes in and help us to establish a little tradition and keep things moving up."

A search committee has been formed to replace Gaines. Mosley said there have been several calls and faxes since Gaines' resignation. The committee will be made up of Dr. Royce Money, president of the university; Dr. Gary McCaleb, vice president of the university; and Mosley.

They want to have the new coach by high school signing day on Feb. 2, and Mosley stressed that the committee would be looking for a successful coach who has good character.

"The timing isn't ideal," Mosley said. "Signing day is right around the corner; it's real important that we try to get someone in by then to put people's mind at ease."

Junior defensive end Clayton Farrell and sop re defensive back Danieal Manning were present for coach Gaines' press conference and for interviews, and both said they were shocked at the news. However, the defensive leaders both said it is essential that the team pull through the time of transition.

"You just have to have a good at ude and don't forget what [Gaines] started here," Manning said. "I'm just going to keep my head up and do my best to help the team keep moving."

E-mail Robarts at:

[email protected]