Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    13 mins to go, Terps up 1 at Duke, the #2 team in the nation.

Nik Caner Medley is playing great.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Game is on ESPN BTW.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    50-49 Duke now

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    52-52

the refs are totally ing the Terps.
    some of the worst calls in the history of bball have been made.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    59-58 Terps

5:51 left

GO TERPS!!

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Another bad call....Terps called for a charge on baseline and it was not close

Up 2 with 2 mins left

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Maryland Wins!!! 75-66

Nik Caner-Medley has 25 points
    Last edited by Jimcs50; 01-27-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Maryland has beaten Duke at least once 9 of the last 11 years. They truly are Duke's most major nemesis.

YES!!!

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    Maryland has beaten Duke at least once 9 of the last 11 years. They truly are Duke's most major nemesis.

YES!!!
    Them or North Carolina.

#35 Pittsburgh Pisces MosesGuthrie's Avatar
    Post Count
    UNC has already beaten MD once so far. Hopefully Duke is next.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Maryland seals victory at free throw line in final minute
    By Keith Parsons, The Associated Press
    DURHAM, N.C. — Maryland coach Gary Williams brought in a few experts before facing second-ranked Duke. Former stars Steve Blake, Juan Dixon and Laron Profit visited practice this week, giving the current Terrapins a few lessons. They talked about having fun, about believing in themselves and about giving a full effort against the undefeated Blue Devils.

Maryland's John Gilchrist scored 10 points and pulled in seven rebounds in Terrapins' road win aginst previously undefeated Duke.
    By Gerry Broome, AP

"That was huge," forward Nik Caner-Medley said. "That was the hardest we practiced all year."

Caner-Medley and his teammates carried that message to the game, giving Maryland an improbable upset.

The junior had 25 points before leaving with an ankle injury, and Travis Garrison and Ekene Ibekwe finished off the Blue Devils at the free-throw line in a 75-66 victory Wednesday night. (Related item: Game report)

The Terrapins (12-5, 3-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) lost three of their previous five games, all by at least 15 points. But they hung with Duke (15-1, 5-1) throughout and allowed only two points in the final 3.50 minutes.

"I just thought they played a little bit harder than we did," Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "We didn't have the at ude that we've had the entire year. This team has to have an edge all the time." (Related coaching audio: Krzyzewski | Williams)

Ibekwe gave Maryland the lead for good with a tough layup in traffic off an inbounds play, set up during a timeout by Williams. That made it 66-64 with 1:23 left, and the Blue Devils had no answer.

Daniel Ewing missed badly on a three-pointer, and Garrison started a parade at the line for the Terps. Garrison was 5-for-6 in the final minute and Ibekwe was 4-for-4 to close it out.

"It was all about the players," Williams said. "We struggled a little bit this year with our iden y, for whatever reason, and I'll take responsibility for it, but we do have pride in our program."

Ibekwe came off the bench for the first time this season and scored 15 points. John Gilchrist had 10 for Maryland.

"To be on a big stage like this and get the win is huge," Caner-Medley said. "My teammates had so much heart. I really was impressed with them."

J.J. Re led the Blue Devils with 20 points but also had eight turnovers, including two within seconds in the final minutes. Shelden Williams added 18 points and 14 rebounds.

"You have to take your hats off to Maryland," said Duke guard Daniel Ewing, who was held to nine points. "We didn't match their hunger. They wanted it a little bit more, and that's why they walked out of here with a win."

Top-ranked Illinois (20-0) and No. 8 Boston College (17-0) are the only teams left without a loss.

Duke seemingly was in control early in the second half, taking a pair of eight-point leads, the final one on a layup by Lee Melchionni. Ewing set it up with a nifty touch pass off a rebound, and it was 42-34.

Caner-Medley quickly led the rally. He made two free throws, then followed with a three-pointer and a jumper to cut the margin to four. Later, he added a putback to make it 47-46, and Chris McCray gave the Terps their first lead of the second half with a layup.

That was the first of five lead changes in the final 13.50 minutes.

"I just think he overpowered us a few times," Coach K said. "If there's one thing that won the game, it was that his desire to win was great. He put on a of a performance."

Ewing swished a three to put the Blue Devils ahead 58-54, but Caner-Medley responded with one of his own from several feet beyond the arc, with Re right in his face. Caner-Medley had his final points from in close with 3:45 left to give Maryland a 64-60 lead, then left for good about 2 minutes later.

Re had a steal at midcourt and was driving for a layup, with Caner-Medley racing back to try to stop it. They leaped together, and Re 's left-handed attempt never touched the rim.

But Caner-Medley made it only a few steps toward the other end before falling to grab his left ankle in agony. He went to the bench, and after Shavlik Randolph tied it one final time by following up a missed free throw by Shelden Williams, Ibekwe helped the Terps win.

"I think that you have to win a game against a quality team during the year to have credibility and believing that you're a good team," Gary Williams said. "I'm not saying that because we won, I just think that those guys have maxed out incredibly well.

"I'm sure they're very proud of what they've done."

Hmmm! Why are there postings about college basketball when this is a FOOTBALL FORUM? Just asking! I'm sure there is logical explanation!

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Hmmm! Why are there postings about college basketball when this is a FOOTBALL FORUM? Just asking! I'm sure there is logical explanation!

BECAUSE THERE IS NO COLLEGE FORUM

Post Count
    Jim...did you see the Duke-MD game tonight on ESPN classic? It was the one when Dunleavy was a senior.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    The one where Duke came from 10 down in the last minute to force OT?

If so, the first time I saw it, made me throw up, so I do not care to visit the toilet again, thankyou.

Thread Information