My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smoltz, Braves: Pitcher's future uncertain

Ace opts for season-ending operation on right shoulder

By KEN SUGIURA
    The Atlanta Journal-Cons ution

Published on: 06/04/08

Braves pitcher John Smoltz will undergo season-ending surgery Tuesday in Birmingham for his injured shoulder.

Team general manger Frank Wren acknowledged that this might be the end of the legendary right-hander's career.

"It's a pretty momentous occasion," Wren said, "and we don't know the outcome yet."

Smoltz said he had been in pain for several months to the point that he has had trouble sleeping. But, he said that he intends to keep pitching if possible.

Smoltz said that "I'm totally content with [the decision]. It's not the end of the world."

Smoltz, the only pitcher in history with at least 200 wins and 150 saves, notched his 3,000th career strikeout earlier this season.

After spending nearly five weeks on the disabled list with inflammation of the rotator cuff and biceps tendon in his throwing shoulder, he returned from the DL Monday night and blew a save against Florida in his first relief appearance in 44 months.

Smoltz had moved back to the bullpen from his preferred starting role as a concession to persistent pain in his throwing shoulder. He had hoped he could get through the season by pitching in one-inning stints and by altering his pitching delivery and throwing sidearm.

He was charged with two runs, three hits and a blown save in the ninth inning Monday against Florida, but the Braves came back and won 7-5 on Yunel Escobar's walk-off homer in the 10th.

Smoltz converted 154 saves in 3 1/2 seasons as a closer through 2004 including a National League-record 55 saves in 2002.

He went 47-26 as a starter since the beginning of the 2005 season, including 3-2 with a 2.00 ERA in five starts this season before shoulder pain forced him to the DL for the second time since March.

Smoltz has had four right-elbow surgeries and had said in recent years that he wouldn't endure another arm surgery and long rehabilitation to prolong his career. But on Monday he backed away from those statements and indicated he would consider surgery and all other options.

The 1996 Cy Young Award winner has a 210-147 career record with 154 saves and 3,011 strikeouts in 3,395 innings. Smoltz is also the winningest postseason pitcher in history (15-4) and owns the record for postseason strikeouts (194).

The likely future Hall of Famer is eligible for free agency after the 2008 season.

Staff writer David O'Brien contributed to this report.

Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do you edit a le? Yes this is John Smoltz.

Thread Information