Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    Dana White, who is in England for today's UFC pay-per-view, spoke to Setanta Sports is being quoted as saying that UFC is 'due to have an all star caliber boxer make the jump to mma to help legitimize the sport'.

Also, pwinsider has since acknowledged that there are rumors of Mayweather signing.

This all seems to add up with our exclusive report from this morning about Mayweather being the big announcement on Thursday.

(Thanks to Lee for sending us the quote from Dana)

http://www.wrestlingherald.com/headl..._from=&ucat=8&

Post Count
    And note that Floyd "retired" yesterday.

Post Count
    LOL, so Floyd may have turned down a huge money rematch with Oscar so he could jump to MMA, get taken down and submitted in 20 seconds, good job Floyd. I doubt this is true though, Floyd can't be this stupid.

Post Count
    saying that UFC is 'due to have an all star caliber boxer make the jump to mma to help legitimize the sport'.
    That really does not sound like something Dana would say. He doesn't need Floyd for anything.

Post Count
    That really does not sound like something Dana would say. He doesn't need Floyd for anything.
    Same I dont think Dana wants or needs help from anyone.

Post Count
    i do really hopes this happens and floyd does well in mma. it will take tons of years of training but this would be HUGE for mma if a boxing star this big to make the jump.

floyd being the face of mma is ALOT better than kimbo.

Post Count
    Same I dont think Dana wants or needs help from anyone.
    Plus it would be a freak show type deal with Floyd. Brock has a shot to have succes because of his wrestling background and he is a physical beast of an athlete. He signs Floyd, all he gets is maybe 1 or 2 fights against total CANS with Zero takedowns that he can KO. What is the point of signing him, he can't compete at a high level in MMA, he has no shot.

Post Count
    i do really hopes this happens and floyd does well in mma. it will take tons of years of training but this would be HUGE for mma if a boxing star this big to make the jump.

floyd being the face of mma is ALOT better than kimbo.
    Years of training in MMA would not happen for Floyd. He does not have that kind of hunger to do it. He is 31, insanely Rich and lives a very celebrity lifestyle. He parties hard and spends loads of money in his downtime from boxing. Hard hours in the gym for 2 or 3 years of MMA training, i don't see it happening.

Post Count
    IMO Floyd has just as good of opportunity to be a great mma fighter as Lesnar. Floyd is a world class boxer and IS a fighter. People say he has no ground game but hes not going to fight until after maybe over a year off MMA training. hes not going to fight fresh off the boat so let him train, then see what happens. with a average ground game he could be a good fighter, not great because he got into mma too late. but anyways i really hope this is true because it would HUGE for mma if Mayweather is successful. MMA has big name guys but it would be great for mayweather to be the poster child of the sport. and even Lesnar...they're ALL better than Kimbo. and i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.

Post Count
    IMO Floyd has just as good of opportunity to be a great mma fighter as Lesnar. Floyd is a world class boxer and IS a fighter. People say he has no ground game but hes not going to fight until after maybe over a year off MMA training. hes not going to fight fresh off the boat so let him train, then see what happens.
    I posted above, i don't see the hunger being there for Floyd. Brock is an animal in the GYM, he is all about hard work and he is very hungry to make it in MMA. Floyd is a star, and like i said he lives like a rockstar with his fame and money, Brock doesnt.

i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.

Well enjoy the fight, i am half drunk myself.

Post Count
    The number one difference between a boxer and a MMA fighter.....

Stance

A mma fighter has a wider stance to displace wight and help control take downs
    A boxer has a tighter stance for powerful striking

Look at the feet between the two and its night and day. Also notice the angle their shoulders are at. MMA fighters have to stand at a position to withstand an attack at any angle but Floyd can strike with speed and power that rivals no other fighter in MMA this side of Chuck Liddell.

a boxer trying changing their stance after so long is like one of us learning how to walk on a tight rope sideways.

This, if true, will be incredibly difficult if he faces anyone with a ground game...which is MMA.

His cardio will be supreme but that doesn't matter a whole lot when someone will transition in and out of his guard at will.

Floyd's hands may not be able to handle 4oz gloves and could shatter in the first round of his first fight.

If this is true...which I am 50/50 on....I just don't know...

Floyd is a premier athlete but I can't see any C class 145 pounder needing more than 2 rounds to have him in slapping his hands on any various part of their body tapping out.

he will need a year of training minimum..he is 31 and so wealthy. Why would he bother to train with passion that will be needed?

Post Count

Well enjoy the fight, i am half drunk myself.
    dude...I am trashed......

lol

Post Count
    and i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.
    wait..isn't it at 3am?

Post Count
    IMO Floyd has just as good of opportunity to be a great mma fighter as Lesnar. Floyd is a world class boxer and IS a fighter. People say he has no ground game but hes not going to fight until after maybe over a year off MMA training. hes not going to fight fresh off the boat so let him train, then see what happens. with a average ground game he could be a good fighter, not great because he got into mma too late. but anyways i really hope this is true because it would HUGE for mma if Mayweather is successful. MMA has big name guys but it would be great for mayweather to be the poster child of the sport. and even Lesnar...they're ALL better than Kimbo. and i dont know if everything just sounded idiotic, im sorry, im high off my ass and im trying to stay up until 5 in the morning for the WVR fight.
    Actually this made sense....

Don't forget Randy didn't start training MMA until 34. Yes he was an awesome wrestler but Floyd is an awesome striker.

Post Count
    Years of training in MMA would not happen for Floyd. He does not have that kind of hunger to do it. He is 31, insanely Rich and lives a very celebrity lifestyle. He parties hard and spends loads of money in his downtime from boxing. Hard hours in the gym for 2 or 3 years of MMA training, i don't see it happening.
    I agree with this as well.

Who knows...

Post Count
    he will need a year of training minimum..he is 31 and so wealthy. Why would he bother to train with passion that will be needed?
    Exactly, he won't. Also this guy changes his mind a lot. He has retired from boxing about 5 times already.

Post Count
    Exactly, he won't. Also this guy changes his mind a lot. He has retired from boxing about 5 times already.
    IF

IF

IF

He does sign with the UFC...I can't see him following through unless whoever is training him manages to inspire massive passion in him.

Post Count
    IF

IF

IF

He does sign with the UFC...I can't see him following through unless whoever is training him manages to inspire massive passion in him.
    or a bunch of people call him out. but for this to work...he HAS to sign with the UFC. no eliteXC. because if the premier boxer goes to mma you want him to sign with the best org and well know. crap half of the people on the street think UFC is a sport.

Post Count
    Another thing about this is the $$$$$$

Mayweather is all about the money. No way he is fighting for the UFC, make maybe 1 mil a fight, when you add in PPV buys. He makes like 20 mil a fight, why would he take that huge a paycut for a sport he knows nothing about??

Post Count
    Another thing about this is the $$$$$$

Mayweather is all about the money. No way he is fighting for the UFC, make maybe 1 mil a fight, when you add in PPV buys. He makes like 20 mil a fight, why would he take that huge a paycut for a sport he knows nothing about??
    PPV percentage

Post Count
    and it looks like he is going to get some equity in the company

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    Post Count
    i hope floyd gets a broken arm on his first ufc fight. break that in real good.

Post Count
    passion like this is why this may work.

I'd be ing shocked if it happen. What do they mean by legitimize anyways? Didn't Brock Lesnar so that?

Post Count
    I think it will be better for MMA if he does well.

Thread Information