Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Feb. 1, 2005, 1:01AM

Bennett decides to attend A&M
    Basketball pitch by Gillispie helps sway tight end
    By NIKI HERBERT
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Here's one you might not have heard before: Highly touted football recruit picks Texas A&M — for its basketball program.

Alief Taylor's Martellus Bennett, rated No. 1 among the nation's high school tight ends, and No.1 football prospect in Texas, announced Monday night he will be spending his next four seasons in College Station. He had narrowed his choices to A&M, Texas and LSU because all three schools said he could play both football and basketball.

"Coach (Billy) Gillispie showed me the most love in basketball," Bennett said of the man who, in his first season at the A&M helm, has guided a previously wretched program to a 14-4 record. "Texas is stacked with (basketball) talent, but with me coming in and (Fort Bend Marshall's) Dave Devezin coming in, we'll be real good. A&M (basketball) is on the rise."

With national signing day looming Wednesday, Bennett was the last of the state's top recruits to make a commitment.

Earlier Monday at Boudreaux's, Westside's R.J. Jackson and Lamar's Brandon La Fell — both All-District 21-5A selections — announced they are headed to LSU. Jackson played running back, slot receiver and cornerback in addition to being a return man for the Wolves. La Fell, a receiver for the Redskins, also played cornerback for the first time this past season.

During the weekend, Dallas Kimball defensive lineman DeMarcus Granger picked Oklahoma over Texas, Texas A&M, LSU and Tennessee. Marcus Jackson, who is R.J.'s brother and started at quarterback for Westside, announced Monday he will attend TCU.

"It's a comfortable atmosphere in a nice city," Marcus Jackson said of the Fort Worth school. "It reminds me of Houston with just different people."

The jewel of A&M's class, Bennett is the first among the group to have landed a five-star rating from Rivals.com. Texas A&M expects to sign 25 recruits, and Bennett is the 22nd commitment. Before Bennett's announcement, A&M's class was ranked No. 7 in the nation by Rivals.com., but with Bennett's signing, A&M is now ranked No. 5 in the nation.

Bennett's older brother Michael, a 6-4, 245-pound defensive end, will also be at Texas A&M. Michael signed with Louisiana Tech last year but did not attend classes and signed with A&M in December.

Martellus Bennett has long been a football prospect, but the 6-7 power forward has seen his stock rise in basketball over the last year. That has him still wondering which sport will get more of his attention in college.

"I plan on choosing my sop re year," Bennett said. "I want to see which one will take me the furthest."

R.J. Jackson and La Fell cited the proximity of Baton Rouge, La., to Houston as a key factor in their decision to head to LSU.

"We went through a lot trying to get to Florida, and it was something R.J. and I said our moms would not want to go through," said La Fell, who visited Gainesville, Fla., this past weekend. "I had to fly into Orlando and then drive to the school. It was a hassle. We want our family to come see us. That is important to us."

Another factor for Jackson was the opportunity to play running back.

"I just want the ball in my hands," he said. "It was real important to me to play running back. I will play anywhere as long as I play. But I do prefer to be on the offensive side of the ball. I started counting out schools (such as Miami) that wanted me as a safety."

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    I can see great things for A&M in basketball and football from now on.

Post Count
    wonder how much they paid him

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    read the article, numbnuts.

Aggies were the only team to, give him bball scholarship too.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    I wonder how good a bball player he is. He has a big body, that is for sure.

Post Count
    Best TE definetly, not the best overall player in Texas.

Would have liked to see him go to UT but at least he is staying in state.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Best TE definetly, not the best overall player in Texas.

Would have liked to see him go to UT but at least he is staying in state.

According to the people that rate the HS players, he is the best player in Texas.

Post Count
    depends on which people. There are so many recruiting "experts" out there now. Still, he is a great player.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    Even the burnt orange homers say he was the best player in the state (I'm sure that'll change now ).

Jim, he'll be on football scholarship. I talked to him for a while when he visited A&M, he really loves Coach Gillispie. I think that was the difference, it sounds like Billy did a better job on the hoops side of thing than Barnes or the LSU coach (name escapes me) did.

Great pick up. I think in the end he'll be playing hoops and dropping bball, their family doc thinks he'll grow 2-3 inches more before it's all said and done.

Post Count
    uhm he wasn't good enough to play for ut hoops and he wanted to be the man on a football team.

Post Count
    "Even the burnt orange homers say ....." ....................................Well spoken by a "maroon" homer!

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    uhm he wasn't good enough to play for ut hoops and he wanted to be the man on a football team.

Yeah, let me hear what you say when he stuffs PJ Tucker and puts him on the floor next year.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    Post Count
    hm he wasn't good enough to play for ut hoops and he wanted to be the man on a football team.
    LOL, he had a hoops scholarship offer from Duke, but that wasn't good enough to cut it at tu.

(and by the way, he had the offer to play hoops for Barnes as well, despite what the orange hype machine is spinning today)

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    LOL, he had a hoops scholarship offer from Duke, but that wasn't good enough to cut it at tu.

(and by the way, he had the offer to play hoops for Barnes as well, despite what the orange hype machine is spinning today)

* high five to AHF*

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    Post Count
    depends on which people. There are so many recruiting "experts" out there now
    Mikey, some idiots don't know that the ratings aren't based on an actual skills compe ion or game. No way this guy goes to UT & starts, him or Ryan P.
    Remember when a guy named McNeal signed w/the laggies & everyone in Bumpsville was calling him Jesus? Well, Jesus got whipped & raped in his 1st bowl game. Too many idiots were saying Regina McNeal was better than VY & well, we all see how stupid the maroon morons now look. Try to find a laggie man enough to admit that they were saying McNeal was better than VY & would lead the lags to victory. Go ahead & try.
    I've said it before & I'll it again, UT will finish with a better record than the lags & BEAT THE lags AGAIN. Rouse, Turner, DeSean Jackson & the PSU WR commit are the only guys that could've helped a team as deep as UT this next yr. Lags can use help everywhere.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    About the only thing more amusing than hardcore Aggies are hardcore Aggie haters...

Post Count
    Hate would mean the lags mean something to me. They don't.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Hate would mean the lags mean something to me. They don't.

I will bet you that Reggie is drafted ahead of Young.

Post Count
    I will bet you the next time UT & the lags play in Football, Basketball OR Baseball..
    I will bet you McNeal NEVER is the starting QB in a Super Bowl.
    I will bet you UT TE Thomas has more TDs in '05 than MBennett.

Take your pick, ball is in your court.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    They don't.
    That must be why you can be trusted to post in every Aggie related thread.

Post Count
    And you are sure to follow me. Hmm, like men Spermeater? That is cool, I'm straight though sweetie.

Post Count
    Only thing more amusing than hardcore lags are their boyfriends.

Post Count
    That must be why you can be trusted to post in every Aggie related thread.
    Hey SpermEater, hate to make you look like a dumbass but.....
    Here is one I haven't, it took me almost a whole minute to find one!
    Should I look for another?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...ighlight=aggie

Post Count
    That must be why you can be trusted to post in every Aggie related thread
    As tempted as I was I didn't post in this one either.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...ighlight=aggie

There wasn't any smack thrown around about UT athletics so I let it be.
    I do believe in being respectful if others are as well. If not then it is on.

Well dumbass?????

What a sad mother er. The saddest part of all is he couldn't get into Texas or Texas A&M. But, but...he was with Earl back in the day.

Thread Information