Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Post your favorite..............

I at one time placed the wrong RAM stick on a Board and blew out the sound on a e-Machine 533 Mhz . But the rest of the board functioned.

I have many others (will post them later) do you have any Geek Nightmares?

Ps: they don't have to be PC related.
    Last edited by mouse; 06-29-2008 at 02:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One time I got two hard drives mixed up and accidentally formatted the wrong one....

One time I put a stick up RAM up Mouses ass and he started talking like C3PO

"Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Post your favorite..............

I at one time placed the wrong RAM stick on a Board and blew out the sound on a e-Machine 533 Mhz . But the rest of the board functioned.

I many others I suppose, do you have any Geek Nightmares?
    e-Machines are nightmares in and of themselves.

Mine was my first built-from-scratch desktop with a BioStar motherboard. I'm not sure if it was the crappy electrical wiring in my house or the cheapo MoBo itself, but toast city. Mobo, processor (AMD) and video card all fried. At least the HD still worked.

Lesson learned; now I always use an APC battery backup to power my desktops.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I downloaded XP pro and all the drivers then I saw my date and time was set for 2002 so i set it for 2007 and my XP 30 day grace period ran out I had to start over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I once dropped some milk from my cookies and milk meal on my keyboard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y2K! I was having diarrhea for 2 days straight before new year's eve of '99

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I downloaded XP pro and all the drivers then I saw my date and time was set for 2002 so i set it for 2007 and my XP 30 day grace period ran out I had to start over.
    omg, i feel ya on that one, done it before

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Geek Nightmares
    I once had a nightmare where La Lechusa flew into my bedroom and sat at my computer, hacked my password and messed with all of my MP3 tags and I couldn't move or do anything . . .

But really, I needed more space on my old modded XBOX and while installing the software on a brand new 250G hard drive the computer froze before it finished and bricked my HD. I couldn't unlock it for some reason so now I have a really expensive paperweight.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    omg, i feel ya on that one, done it before
    ^

The sad part is your only getting 25-40 dollars for 12 hours worth of work! The Kids at Sonic make more money.

I once tried to put a D610 notebook back together after someone soldered the DC jack and after 8 hours it didn't boot up.............oh wait, that nightmare hasn't happened DannyT is bringing the board tonight,

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I once had a nightmare where La Lechusa flew into my bedroom and sat at my computer, hacked my password and messed with all of my MP3 tags and I couldn't move or do anything . . .

But really, I needed more space on my old modded XBOX and while installing the software on a brand new 250G hard drive the computer froze before it finished and bricked my HD. I couldn't unlock it for some reason so now I have a really expensive paperweight.

Have you tried to put one of these on the HD to transfer the data?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tried building my first PC 2 years ago. I wanted it for gaming so I went all out.

Started putting it together and it would not stay on long enough to post. ed around with it for awhile until I RMA'd my motherboard. Got replacement motherboard, same problem. Took it to PC repair shop and they said my mobo and CPU were both dead. Sent in 2nd mobo for a replacement of another brand, RMA'd CPU, all through newegg.

Get all the parts back a week later and I am so close but I left a cable touching my HDD and it fried my HDD (pop, smoke, etc). Bought replacement ty HDD at Altec and took it to same PC repair shop to have them put it together.

Cost me about $200+ for RMA shipping/repair shop to get the SOB working.

Lessons learned:

When getting into something knew, don't go directly to high-end until you gain experience.

You can't keep throwing money at a problem, you gotta figure out what is really going on and attack that.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That sounds like you left out many days you was upset and frustrated. The good news is now your have experience.
    Your lucky yo was able to send back the boards for replacements.

Was that PC shop fair or did they try to bend you over?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you tried to put one of these on the HD to transfer the data?
    No I haven't but I'l look into it if I decide to work with it again. I'd rather spend some cash on that instead of losing out on the HD again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still remember that one:

I thought my PC got a mean virus when I saw that the Spurs repeated on ESPN.com

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    No I haven't but I'l look into it if I decide to work with it again. I'd rather spend some cash on that instead of losing out on the HD again
    Go to altex and buy a 25.00 dollar USB HD adapter transfer all your stuff to the new drive. After you are done i will but the adapter from you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lost all my digital photos on a harddrive that got zapped... it was awful.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I lost all my digital photos on a harddrive that got zapped... it was awful.

Download this , and get them back.....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_re...67019d70491df/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would assume the worst geek nightmare is the Internet stopping or all of their video games disc/cartridges getting erased.

Or in Shagia's case, he opens his comics and all the pages are blank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, sadly this was like 8 years ago so that PC is long gone.

Gone Crazy, be back later CrazyOne's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first time I tried to build from scratch was back around 1991 or so... I upgraded my 286 to a 386. All over the box were warnings about making sure you set the voltage selector on the power supply to the right voltage - 110 or 220. Guess what I didn't do? As soon as I powered it up I heard the pop, fry and then the smoke.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Thanks, sadly this was like 8 years ago so that PC is long gone.
    Then get one of these

Make sure the Flux Capacitor is fluxing.

set a date for 2001.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    One time I put a stick up RAM up Mouses ass and he started talking like C3PO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My 360 redringed, then I tried to turn it on again and it showed the lights that meant it's plugged in incorrectly so I was relieved, then I re-plugged everything in, but then red ring showed up again. I got pissed and threw my drumsticks from my Rock Band drumset to the TV, and chipped them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not so much a nightmare but back in the dark ages when I did PC support I got a call from someone whose desktop quit working ... went to check it out, everything looked OK on the outside but nothing happened when you flipped the switch. Opened the box up and there was a dead mouse in there, it had shorted out the motherboard.

Ironically the mouse was wedged between the box and ... the mouse adapter card.

Thread Information