My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is a safe pick and worth considering at 8. Memphis probably drafts him at 9.

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they go with raw players with more upside this year and give them plenty of court time to stealth tank for one last shot at the lottery next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another feather in the cap for team #tradethepicks

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ultimately, though, my guess is the Spurs will opt for a prospect with more provable upside.
    I agree they'll probably pick someone else, but upside is neither provable nor disprovable at this point. That's the main reason this draft is so maddening. Potential upside -- the other players have that in spades.

I just want to get one proven (in the past) volume 3 point shooter. The Spurs need a 40% on 5 shots a game guy and it's fine if he's starting or coming off the bench, especially if Osman isn't coming back. There just aren't that many guys in the draft that can currently do that and my hopium tank for post-draft shooting development is just about empty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Knecht, he had a great season at Tennessee and was the best offensive player in CBB this year. Can really shoot the rock. But, he's a slightly shorter Doug McDermott. Think the Spurs pass on him tbh, even if he is available at 8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is a safe pick and worth considering at 8. Memphis probably drafts him at 9.
    Unless Clingan is available at 9, in which case Memphis likely runs their card up to the podium tbh. They desperately need a Center to replace Steven Adams' spot on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree they'll probably pick someone else, but upside is neither provable nor disprovable at this point. That's the main reason this draft is so maddening. Potential upside -- the other players have that in spades.

I just want to get one proven (in the past) volume 3 point shooter. The Spurs need a 40% on 5 shots a game guy and it's fine if he's starting or coming off the bench, especially if Osman isn't coming back. There just aren't that many guys in the draft that can currently do that and my hopium tank for post-draft shooting development is just about empty.
    Thats part of the reason I want to move Keldon all things considered. Not only are we not getting the 3PT shooting but we dont get the defense either. Being able to reset on Keldon with someone who has as big of role but at least has better defense and/or better 3PT shooting would be so big for SA even if that’s a 6th man.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would avoid Knecht.

I know he's a good shooter, and the unusual path gives me some hope that he hasn't just got to a point of dominating the youth in CBB, but I don't think he's a top 8 player (or close, really. I'd have guys like Collier well ahead of him).

As an illustration, I think he's a better prospect, by a little bit, than Baylor Schierman. But there's a chance Baylor is there at 35 if we need that archetype of player.
    https://www.tankathon.com/players/co...lor-scheierman

Not necessarily advocating picking Baylor (DaRon, trading up for Tyler Smith, Dadiet as a draft and stash, etc), but I'd be much happier with him at 35 than Knecht at 8.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats part of the reason I want to move Keldon all things considered. Not only are we not getting the 3PT shooting but we dont get the defense either. Being able to reset on Keldon with someone who has as big of role but at least has better defense and/or better 3PT shooting would be so big for SA even if that’s a 6th man.
    Yet you seem to think he'd be worth a top 5 pick or as the centerpiece in a package for a borderline star, with minimal draft capital attached.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet you seem to think he'd be worth a top 5 pick or as the centerpiece in a package for a borderline star, with minimal draft capital attached.
    Lmao a borderline star. Look, Keldon with his flaws would be a top pick in this draft. 5th pick is like the 15th-20th in normal drafts by all accounts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao a borderline star. Look, Keldon with his flaws would be a top pick in this draft. 5th pick is like the 15th-20th in normal drafts by all accounts.
    I meant Garland (who I'd actually consider a pseudo star, but I was going by consensus).

The 20 year old one wouldn't have been and even though people have posited that about this draft, a lot of the job of executives is being salesmen to their various cons uencies (ownership, star(s), media, fans) and there's still a certain prestige to being a top 5 pick, enough so to not trade it for a non starting caliber player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant Garland (who I'd actually consider a pseudo star, but I was going by consensus).

The 20 year old one wouldn't have been and even though people have posited that about this draft, a lot of the job of executives is being salesmen to their various cons uencies (ownership, star(s), media, fans) and there's still a certain prestige to being a top 5 pick, enough so to not trade it for a non starting caliber player.
    Literally every single DET fan Ive spoken too with several replies all seemingly was very happy with my Keldon trade proposal for what its worth….and for Garland its about salary matching and diversification on the Mitc Garland pairing and Keldon is young, solid and fits better while still being young. CLE will need salary and if Garland asks out, with his deal and lack of performance next to Mitc , I don’t think they are getting star players; they will hope to get a good one plus picks to use to trade etc…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Literally every single DET fan Ive spoken too with several replies all seemingly was very happy with my Keldon trade proposal for what its worth….and for Garland its about salary matching and diversification on the Mitc Garland pairing and Keldon is young, solid and fits better while still being young. CLE will need salary and if Garland asks out, with his deal and lack of performance next to Mitc , I don’t think they are getting star players; they will hope to get a good one plus picks to use to trade etc…
    Fans don't make trades and there's no precedent for a player like him going for a pick like that and no reason to think it'll change.

The Lowe Post - Championship Paths, Defending Luka, the Impact of Porzingis, and Draft Chatter | ESPN

Givony at 1:26:33: "And so the Spurs come to them (Cavaliers) and say hey, we'll give you Keldon Johnson and the 4th pick for Darius Garland; Cavs are gonna laugh at them and say like absolutely not. That's not interesting to us at all. It's going to take a lot more to get Darius Garland."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans don't make trades and there's no precedent for a player like him going for a pick like that and no reason to think it'll change.

The Lowe Post - Championship Paths, Defending Luka, the Impact of Porzingis, and Draft Chatter | ESPN

Givony at 1:26:33: "And so the Spurs come to them (Cavaliers) and say hey, we'll give you Keldon Johnson and the 4th pick for Darius Garland; Cavs are gonna laugh at them and say like absolutely not. That's not interesting to us at all. It's going to take a lot more to get Darius Garland."
    Good! Let’s see what they get for Garland then. I dont care about that and sure, trading for Garland is a much different story than pick 5 for DET.

It’s asking DET who would be getting a known player that fits solid and is locked up on a good deal: Would you trade Buzelis for Keldon (functionally)> I think for DET situation that seems not only fair but appealing.

Garland may be very different and two things may happen: They see the market is colder than they hoped for Garland but hes forcing his way out anyways OR he’s worth a ton and theres a legit bidding war where they get a much better player than Keldon and that’s what they value over a good player + top 5 pick.

But by your logic on DET deal, a top 5 pick is EXTREMELY valuable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Givony's premis is wrong. The Spurs aren't going to the Cavs to inquire. Clutch is going to the Spurs and then to the Cavs saying they want out. That changes the dynamic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good! Let’s see what they get for Garland then. I dont care about that and sure, trading for Garland is a much different story than pick 5 for DET.

It’s asking DET who would be getting a known player that fits solid and is locked up on a good deal: Would you trade Buzelis for Keldon (functionally)> I think for DET situation that seems not only fair but appealing.

Garland may be very different and two things may happen: They see the market is colder than they hoped for Garland but hes forcing his way out anyways OR he’s worth a ton and theres a legit bidding war where they get a much better player than Keldon and that’s what they value over a good player + top 5 pick.

Garland isn’t forcing his way out, Mitc is forcing him out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Pistons are rumored to have Harris in the bag and Bridges is another candidate. No, they're not amazing, but they're starting forwards all the same.

It's not that the 5th pick in this draft is "extremely valuable", it's that Johnson isn't.

Garland apparently has a bigger market than Young.

Givony's premis is wrong. The Spurs aren't going to the Cavs to inquire. Clutch is going to the Spurs and then to the Cavs saying they want out. That changes the dynamic.
    Still, the Spurs pathway to Garland is probably the Cavaliers being unable to turn him into Ingram and it becoming a 3 team trade where they get Grant, Kuzma, etc. instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garland isn’t forcing his way out, Mitc is forcing him out.
    From the reports it would be Garland requesting a trade if Mitc is signed. Not that Mitc is asking him to be moved. Semantics to a degree I guess?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pistons are rumored to have Harris in the bag and Bridges is another candidate. No, they're not amazing, but they're starting forwards all the same.

It's not that the 5th pick in this draft is "extremely valuable", it's that Johnson isn't.

Still, the Spurs pathway to Garland is probably the Cavaliers being unable to turn him into Ingram and it becoming a 3 team trade where they get Grant, Kuzma, etc. instead.
    Sure, but that doesn’t change the calculus on Spurs end of what they pay. Whether CLE values Keldon or not is not the point. It’s that from Spurs end the cost is Keldon + 4 more or less.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed.... I seriously doubt we're the top destination the team prefers, although we may very well be the top team his agent prefers..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see shades of Devin Booker when I see Knecht play.
    He has a very similar body and size, similar if not better athletic gifts, and makes a lot of the same shots.
    Knecht is a solid prospect who will occasionally blow up for huge games because he is someone who can get white hot while making NBA shots.

I'm not sure of his fit with the Spurs, who already have a similar player in Vassell.
    I think Knecht and Vassell are a similar age!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see shades of Devin Booker when I see Knecht play.
    He has a very similar body and size, similar if not better athletic gifts, and makes a lot of the same shots.
    Knecht is a solid prospect who will occasionally blow up for huge games because he is someone who can get white hot while making NBA shots.

I'm not sure of his fit with the Spurs, who already have a similar player in Vassell.
    I think Knecht and Vassell are a similar age!
    Devin Booker was 19 when drafted. Knecht will be 23. He’s been basically beating up on HS kids in the period where Book was cutting his NBA Teeth. Knecht isn’t Book, he’s a homeless McDermott.

Thread Information