Post Count
    RIP

Also one of the best announcers ever.

Thank you for all you gave.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loved his "throw it down big man" and other quips during the games. There are a lot of good sports announcers, but no one commentated with the passion and complete love of the game that Bill Walton had. I've missed him ever since he retired from TV.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And can you imagine Bill Walton commentating for a Wemby game? We missed out on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. No. No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aw man... This darkened my day. He was my guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP

Also one of the best announcers ever.

Thank you for all you gave.
    Walton was also one of the greatest players of all time. Something that's pretty much forgotten.

In his (very short) prime Walton was just as good as Abdul-Jabbar in his (very long) prime.

In fact, I remember Abdul-Jabbar being asked whether there was anything about Bill Walton that surprised him -- Abdul-Jabbar replied, "Yeah, that he's white."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton was also one of the greatest players of all time. Something that's pretty much forgotten.

In his (very short) prime Walton was just as good as Abdul-Jabbar in his (very long) prime.

In fact, I remember Abdul-Jabbar being asked whether there was anything about Bill Walton that surprised him -- Abdul-Jabbar replied, "Yeah, that he's white."
    Walton was the beginning of the Portland medical ery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of my favorite commentators. His self-deprecating jokes are hilarious. RIP Big Red

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP Big Fella! One of my favorite sports TV personalities of ALL TIME!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn

RIP

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a Spurs fan I'll never forget him calling game 6 in '03 against the Lakers. They were some funny moments in that game Bill had. I'm paraphrasing but I remember Bill saying "Tim Duncan scores on the whole entire Lakers organization. Tim Duncan is doing it all today and he's doing it against the greatest defender in his era in Robert Horry. This is the greatest moment in Spurs history for Pop and the whole entire organization. The Spurs future is bright Duncan is young, Parker is young, Manu is young." All those quotes still stick out to me today from that game.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Walton was way better than Kareem until Portland wrecked his career by shooting him full of painkillers to play on a broken foot in 1978. Walton made his teammates better, no way Kareem is ever leading Maurice Lucas, Bob Gross, and Lionel Hollins to a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP Bill!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a Spurs fan I'll never forget him calling game 6 in '03 against the Lakers. They were some funny moments in that game Bill had. I'm paraphrasing but I remember Bill saying "Tim Duncan scores on the whole entire Lakers organization. Tim Duncan is doing it all today and he's doing it against the greatest defender in his era in Robert Horry. This is the greatest moment in Spurs history for Pop and the whole entire organization. The Spurs future is bright Duncan is young, Parker is young, Manu is young." All those quotes still stick out to me today from that game.
    Though I'm still mad at him saying Kobe was making the twin towers look like the twin sisters in Game 1 of 2001 WCF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walton was the beginning of the Portland medical ery.
    One of the saddest what ifs. What if he got drafted by an organization with any integrity that would have sat him and let his broken foot heal, damn the shot at a repeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Loved Walton the announcer (I'm not old enough to know Walton the player), and was always confused at people who hated his announcing style.

He was full of such subtle, sarcastic humor that made him an elite color man. My favorite running line was his existential quips "What IS a foul?"

His baseball debut was quintessential Walton

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He loved calling me Jake, pretending to get my name wrong, and nobody loved it more than I did -- that Bill Walton would include me in his wild sense of humor.

On one broadcast with Bill and Dave Pasch, Walton was waxing poetic about former Kansas coach Ted Owens when he paused his soliloquy to say, "Jake, you're too young to know who Ted Owens is!"
    "Of course I know Ted Owens," I replied. "He recruited me."
    Walton quickly retorted, "For what?!" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love this. Thanks for posting. He knew what he was talking about and the comparison of Bobo's style to Romantic music is just sublime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP. Dude lived a of a life tbh.

The Diaw bit is absolutely classic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the saddest what ifs. What if he got drafted by an organization with any integrity that would have sat him and let his broken foot heal, damn the shot at a repeat.
    The year following the le Portland was 50-10 before the injuries. This was a time when teams rarely won 60.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why couldn’t they have taken Reggie miller instead, tbh?

Thread Information