Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skill-wise, those comparisons are good.

The one thing that remains to be seen is if Beno will be tough enough to be a really solid NBA point guard. You couldn't really tell it by looking at them, but Stockton was one tough mofo and Hornacek was pretty tough, too. Those guys stayed healthy, didn't back down from anyone, and knew how to win.

If Beno can do those things, he could be a starting-quality point guard. I don't think we know the answer to that question yet, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Waltons was a reaction to the socially relevant, problem-ridden urban family shows like All in the Family, Maude and Sanford and Son. As usual cbs was behind the times, when everyone else was doing "real" shows about people with real problems in real situations the came up with crap about a wholesome family in utopia usa set during the depression. Of course audiences lapped up the emotional clap trap, bittersweet nonsense , and sappy sentimentality.
    It's not like it was something new...

All through the 60's shows based in rural settings were the top drawing shows:Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, that was the top drawing market. CBS tried to move away from their hick image, mainly because while they were popular, the demographic they were aimed at didn't spend much money. They lost a lot of viewers. I think the Waltons was an attempt to get that market back in a more respectable manner than hick comedies. Anyway, it had a legitimate premise as an alternative to all the urban comedies that weren't as popular as the rural comedies. And as a look back at a simpler time in American history and the values that this country was built upon.

IMO, the show sucked though, by far one of the most depressing and boring shows I have ever seen, and it got even more depressing when Johnboy, the whole premise of the show, left. I remember actually contemplating suicide as a child when I found out every one wanted to watch Christmas on Walton's mountain for the 1 billionth time.

I agree with Ice, the Walton's needed more teen pregnancy and racism.

And Beno does look like John boy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Why must every white player be compared to another white player?

2. Did everyone completely miss the joke in the le thread?

3. While Ice in general made valid points, he seriously contradicted himself in that 2 of the 3 "urban comedies" he listed were also on CBS.

4. Green Acres is the place to be . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice catch, ShoogarBear.

I wasn't a Waltons fan but back in the day, a lot of shows were more family oriented. I think June and Ward Cleaver had separate beds as did Robert Young in Father Know's Best. I never got that one. Father didn't know best in that case but maybe mother did.

Converse Kid. Did you post the same pic? Where? That's funny but he does bear a close resemblance to what Richard Thomas looked like back then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    June and Ward Cleaver, eh, who cares?

What got me was that Samantha and Darrin Stevens had separate beds, at least in the earlier years. That only happens in NFWaysville.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weren't the Brady's the first couple to be shown in the same bed?

Ironic, seeing as Reed was gay and all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it was the Brady Bunch...I've heard the show that actually did it mentioned a lot of times...and Brady Bunch doesn't ring a bell. I kinda want to say it was in the later episodes of the Van show that it happened.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stories vary: I've seen The Flintsones and The Munsters cited along with I Love Lucy though that happened to be two seperately made up twin beds pushed together. If anyone was around to see Mary Kay and Johnny (1947-50), maybe they could enlighten us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Lucy i remember had to seperately made beds, but seperated by a nightstand.

That still baffles me to as why a married couple sleeping in the same bed is controversial.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who does he remind you of?
    He reminds me a lot of Gail Goodrich, the Laker point guard. 'Stumpy' was also a lefty, good passer and ball-handler and developed a pretty good mid-range jumper.

Thread Information