Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell cap hold will be $17.7M next summer. If Spurs' plan is to go after free agents next summer, an extension will cut some of their cap space.

$100M/4 years with a flat structure seems to be a fair deal for both sides in the current market. If Vassell's camp is looking for more, I'm not sure Spurs should offer it. It will also be interesting to see what extension Immanuel Quickley get from Knicks to have a better idea about Devin's value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a pretty crappy FA class next summer though. I’m OK spending it on our guys (Vassell and Collins).

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell cap hold will be $17.7M next summer. If Spurs' plan is to go after free agents next summer, an extension will cut some of their cap space.

$100M/4 years with a flat structure seems to be a fair deal for both sides in the current market. If Vassell's camp is looking for more, I'm not sure Spurs should offer it. It will also be interesting to see what extension Immanuel Quickley get from Knicks to have a better idea about Devin's value.
    This place had people wanting to argue for 100+ million with a straight face for Reaves. Now I’m not arguing that Vassell is better or worse than Reaves but I’m much more comfortable with Vassell slightly exceeding 100 million than I ever would have been with Reaves.

If Vassell even just has a slightly better season he’ll be well within line for what you’re suggesting. If not slightly more. I was very pleased with his progress last season despite the games missed to injury which I believe was somewhat exaggerated due to the tank.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Difference is Reaves filled a need in likely being a starting pg day 1...people being able to fill sg is likely our deepest position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Difference is Reaves filled a need in likely being a starting pg day 1...people being able to fill sg is likely our deepest position
    At best Reaves is a jack of all trades elite level glue guy who can fill various gaps. He’s not a pg on either end of the traditional archetype spectrum. He’s not a distributor or floor general. At least not now. He can defend the position for the most part. I’ll give him that.

We can find our pg over the next couple of seasons. There should be no sense of urgency to do it now by shoe horning a guy like Reaves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone acting like he is a proven commodity. I want to see a solid healthy season before offering 100 million. It's likely he may be worth that money but I don't feel he has really proven it quite yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone acting like he is a proven commodity. I want to see a solid healthy season before offering 100 million. It's likely he may be worth that money but I don't feel he has really proven it quite yet.
    As much as I think this is fair he’s had great growth in each of his seasons. He’s more proven than Reaves. He had a really nice leap last year. Borderline MIP. I think had the team not been in tank mode he would have played more games. Easiest way to tank is to hold out your best players as long as possible with injuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not even as high on Vassell as others here, but 4/$100 is a bargain for him in the current NBA Economy.

There is a decent point to be made about doing the same thing we did with Nephew and not extending now in order to go into FA with more cap space due to his cap hold (we did this to sign LMA) and then signing Devin next offseason. With that said, next year's FA class will probably be just as ty as this one was, and we're currently projected to go into the offseason with $78MM in cap space anyway. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/2024/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4yrs 100m is a very fair deal. As some have suggested it’ll be a steal if front loaded. I’m still not convinced on his so called 3&D capabilities but there is still time for him to become a plus defender and the offensive game is already there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I figure the Spurs FO isn't going by what fans see on the telly and see him, you know, in practice and scrimmages. Joined with what they've seen with countless other players, they might know how good he is.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FiveThirtyEight Raptor WAR

21 Jamal Murray
    22 Austin Reaves
    23 Brook Lopez

32 Anthony Edwards
    33 Josh Hart
    34 Immanuel Quickley

181 Troy Brown Jr., Andre Drummond, Jalen Green, Aaron Holiday, Derek Jones Jr., Grant Williams
    187 Devin Vassel
    188 Devonte' Graham, Javonte Green, Trey Lyles, Mike Muscala, Karl-Anthony Towns, Russell Westbrook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At best Reaves is a jack of all trades elite level glue guy who can fill various gaps. He’s not a pg on either end of the traditional archetype spectrum. He’s not a distributor or floor general. At least not now. He can defend the position for the most part. I’ll give him that.

We can find our pg over the next couple of seasons. There should be no sense of urgency to do it now by shoe horning a guy like Reaves.
    Wow, a sensible and well thought out opinion on our PG situation.

People's incessant need to find the team's "PG of the future" before Vic's first season is becoming annoying, TBH.

I'd rather roll the dice with one more season of Jones at PG and see if either Vassell and/or Branham (with the even longer shot of Wesley) can become a secondary ball handler/playmaker.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-22-2023 at 01:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

21 Jamal Murray
    22 Austin Reaves
    23 Brook Lopez

32 Anthony Edwards
    33 Josh Hart
    34 Immanuel Quickley

181 Troy Brown Jr., Andre Drummond, Jalen Green, Aaron Holiday, Derek Jones Jr., Grant Williams
    187 Devin Vassel
    188 Devonte' Graham, Javonte Green, Trey Lyles, Mike Muscala, Karl-Anthony Towns, Russell Westbrook
    Context is needed when looking at Reaves' gaudy advanced stats. He got to play off of two of the 10 - 15 best players in the NBA (who's "gravity" greatly improved his shot quality) while Vassell played on a team that's 2nd best player was an undersized SF, who was a bottom ten defender.

The other two best players (Poeltl & Sochan) were offensively limited, some would say liabilities, while the team defense was the worse it's ever been.

If Vic can be the 'game changer' he's hyped up to be that could make things much easier for Vassell, Johnson, Sochan, Collins and Branham.

Basically, it's how Rui Hachimura went from a 'huge disappointment'/bust in DC to the second coming of Antawn Jamison playing off of LeBron + Davis in LA.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-22-2023 at 01:11 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just wanna see a season of Vassell without further niggling knee problems ... play 70+ games ... then 100 million for four years is no problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

21 Jamal Murray
    22 Austin Reaves
    23 Brook Lopez

32 Anthony Edwards
    33 Josh Hart
    34 Immanuel Quickley

187 Devin Vassel
    Just another motivation for Devin. Let’s revisit that list next year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

21 Jamal Murray
    22 Austin Reaves
    23 Brook Lopez

32 Anthony Edwards
    33 Josh Hart
    34 Immanuel Quickley

187 Devin Vassel
    These always make me laugh. Like Austin Reaves was anywhere close to Urray or Lopez. Or you'd take him over Edwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These always make me laugh. Like Austin Reaves was anywhere close to Urray or Lopez. Or you'd take him over Edwards.
    I would take him over Edwards in a minute, because Edwards is an idiot, and beyond self absorbed. His refusal to come off the bench for a few weeks for the USMNT just punched his ticket off of the Olympic team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

21 Jamal Murray
    22 Austin Reaves
    23 Brook Lopez

32 Anthony Edwards
    33 Josh Hart
    34 Immanuel Quickley

187 Devin Vassel
    I assume this takes into account the games or minutes played ? Which would explain the ranking of Devin (and KAT also) ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would take him over Edwards in a minute, because Edwards is an idiot, and beyond self absorbed. His refusal to come off the bench for a few weeks for the USMNT just punched his ticket off of the Olympic team.
    How's that bias working for ya

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How's that bias working for ya
    Just fine. My two lasting memories of Ant are a game against us where he dunked, and then turned to the baseline and sideline, and flexed for the crowd. Meanwhile Tre motioned urgently for the inbounds, drove the court, and got us an easy 5 on 4 bucket because of Mr. Flex. In another game, he was almost at the franchise scoring record, and his coach left him in for 3 minutes, and he kept jacking 3 pointers. All he needed was a ing free throw. He didn’t get the record.

Idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin Reaves over Anthony Edwards is definitely a take

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just fine. My two lasting memories of Ant are a game against us where he dunked, and then turned to the baseline and sideline, and flexed for the crowd. Meanwhile Tre motioned urgently for the inbounds, drove the court, and got us an easy 5 on 4 bucket because of Mr. Flex. In another game, he was almost at the franchise scoring record, and his coach left him in for 3 minutes, and he kept jacking 3 pointers. All he needed was a ing free throw. He didn’t get the record.

Idiot.
    So you'd rather not talk about being completely wrong about Ant on the Olympic team.

Got it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you'd rather not talk about being completely wrong about Ant on the Olympic team.

Got it.
    Ant won’t be on the Olympic team, because he’s not a team player. Guys on the original Dream Team, all but 5 of them every game, came off the bench, but he’s too special?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

21 Jamal Murray
    22 Austin Reaves
    23 Brook Lopez

32 Anthony Edwards
    33 Josh Hart
    34 Immanuel Quickley

187 Devin Vassel
    This makes me more interested in Quickley. At least a person of interest to consider.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes me more interested in Quickley. At least a person of interest to consider.
    Lots of chatter on this board about Quickley - is NYK looking to move on from him or just wishful thinking?

Thread Information