Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haliburton at No. 11 in the 2020 draft, but selected Vassel instead. Haliburton went No. 12 to the Kings. Lets see.......

Avg FG 3pt Ast

Vassel 18.3 49.5 40.9 2.7

Haliburton 26.9 52.1 44.9 11.9

Damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What fresh new territory you’re covering…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What fresh new territory you’re covering…

I watched Haliburton kill the Celtics last night, so I looked up his numbers and contributions to his team. He would have been the better selection for the Spurs no doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

11 teams did not pick him either and he is arguably the best potential of this draft class so yeah... damn Spurs suck... Vassell is just better than half of the players picked before him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched Haliburton kill the Celtics last night, so I looked up his numbers and contributions to his team. He would have been the better selection for the Spurs no doubt.
    If they pick Halliburton, they don’t get Wemby, period. Indy completely failed in their tank, picking 8th last draft. Hali raised their floor too high, and he would have raised ours, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they pick Halliburton, they don’t get Wemby, period. Indy completely failed in their tank, picking 8th last draft. Hali raised their floor too high, and he would have raised ours, too.
    Yeah, that's a good explanation which makes me feel better about skippin over Haliburton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

11 teams did not pick him either and he is arguably the best potential of this draft class so yeah... damn Spurs suck... Vassell is just better than half of the players picked before him
    I know that!...........but its the fact that he fell that far and we could have snagged him. BUT!!! as mentioned, we would have probably missed out on Wemby because Haliburton would have definitely made the Spurs better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs had taken Hali they wouldn’t have wemby right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Halliburton is a superstar but Wemby has the potential to be one of the greatest so it's a moot point and worked out well.

Thing is, we used to be one of the best drafters in the league, how did we pass up Halliburton's talent for Vassell? How did we pass up Sengun when he was available and went at pick 16? Why did we choose Lonnie, why did we choose the pervert who flashes people when there was more talent available (already forgot the perves name haha) There's many more other examples in recent history.

More than missing out on Halliburton you have to ask why we're failing in the draft and missing out on some really nice talents. The front office need to improve on this area while Wemby is young and get him his running mate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a dumb what if, but still fun to think about how Haliburton could feed Wemby ...

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was absolutely floored that they didn’t take him

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No chance I wouldn’t have tanked for Wemby especially if Haliburton was on this team and I think it’s highly likely the Spurs would’ve done the same.

I remember them not picking Haliburton though. I was pissed for days. One of the most obvious picks in the last decade IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. Haliburton was hurt much of last year. We could have won another 10 games and had the same result. Plus Haliburton was the OBVIOUS pick. Many of us called it on draft night. That's why I say the Spurs are elite at development, but so-so at drafting. Drafting Haliburton and Sengun (the other OBVIOUS pick) would have made this a completely different team with a much shorter timeline to contention.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

haliburton would have still be playing in austin if spurs had drafted him…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which no one here said, ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. Haliburton was hurt much of last year. We could have won another 10 games and had the same result. Plus Haliburton was the OBVIOUS pick. Many of us called it on draft night. That's why I say the Spurs are elite at development, but so-so at drafting. Drafting Haliburton and Sengun (the other OBVIOUS pick) would have made this a completely different team with a much shorter timeline to contention.
    You’re absolutely 100% wrong on this point. Winning 10 more games makes your chances at Wemby drop off a cliff.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what about Sengun? just saying our Front office not as sharp as everyone thinks about our spurs! They are outsmarting themselves!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As great as Haliburton is, I think I'd much rather have Wemby and Vassell than say Haliburton and Jarace Walker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd prefer Halliburton over Wemby? LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Halliburton is a superstar but Wemby has the potential to be one of the greatest so it's a moot point and worked out well.

Thing is, we used to be one of the best drafters in the league, how did we pass up Halliburton's talent for Vassell? How did we pass up Sengun when he was available and went at pick 16? Why did we choose Lonnie, why did we choose the pervert who flashes people when there was more talent available (already forgot the perves name haha) There's many more other examples in recent history.

More than missing out on Halliburton you have to ask why we're failing in the draft and missing out on some really nice talents. The front office need to improve on this area while Wemby is young and get him his running mate.
    Being elite in the draft doesn't mean they still don't miss guys. Took Chris Carrawell over Michael Redd in 2000. Ian Mahinmi over Monta Ellis in 2005. Tiago Splitter over Marc Gasol in 2007. Salary dumped Goran Dragic in 2008. Kyle Anderson over Jokic in 2014. Kind of ridiculous to lament missing really good players who grossly outperformed their draft positions like any team could have projected these guys accurately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's move this to the "Spurs picked The Flash over Sengun" thread tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But to add, I don't think Hali would have ruined the Wemby tank as much as people are saying. Y'all really underestimate how garbage of a coach Pop is compared to Carlisle, he would have ruined Haliburton too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs would have won the coin toss much less one more game Houston would have gotten Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t like the “wouldn’t have drafted wemby” argument. PATFO didn’t not draft Halliburton because they knew they will win the lottery with a 14% chance for wemby. Nobody did. If they wanted to tank so bad they could’ve just sat haliburton for some mysterious ailments and get it done.

PATFO drafted Vassell over Hali because they thought Vassell was better, which turned out to be wrong. But I’m not even upset over it. Vassell is still a fine player and it is unreasonable to expect the spurs to draft perfectly every draft or otherwise they have failed. Hali was a clear miss but not one I would say is a huge failure.

As for sengun, really little interest still, his game just won’t work that well in this league. The rockets have loaded up on talent, got veteren leadership and a great coach and they are still mired in mediocrity. Just do not understand that obsession. If the argument is primo was a useless pick, I honestly thought you can’t forsee that. Is giddey a bad pick now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, using the luck out on Wemby as a justification for any previous miscalculation is kinda weird. Using this logic, some might say the Spurs actually liked other players over Sochan and only chose him because he could help the tank... which of course is 100% untrue.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 12-05-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Thread Information