Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monroe is not correct. Spurs have no additional money to offer because TJ was included.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It saves on the luxury tax.
    Sure, but then what's the point if you are just turning around and paying that cash to GS?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you guys talking about S. Jack being one of greatest Spurs, he had 11ppg in 03..?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip Bayless Twitter:

Spurs get even better sending RJefferson to GState for Stephen Jackson. Jeff talented but soft, low energy. Capt Jack tough gamer, loves Pop

No surprise here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick out-->yeah, the Spurs are strong at scouting, but a) that tells us, that they probably dont see anyone special in the range of 20-30...b) they might be able to get a pick if they really want one by trading Green or Blair this summer...c) its not like there is a big difference for the Spurs between picking 20-30 or in the second round
    Or that anybody the Spurs are targeting in that pick range can be had with a second-round pick (and non-guaranteed money).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing the Spurs re-upped RJ is still a head-scratcher - to this very day.
    Exactly. All they've done is cure a problem they created. Love the trade, but wtf was that extension all about anyway??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs general manager R.C. Buford will be available at a press conference later this evening. We’ll have all the details after he finishes.
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...-jackson-deal/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For anyone wanting some insight on what they're saying here on Mavsland, the talking heads on local Sportstalk radio proclaim even more hatred for the already-hated Spurs. The majority of Mavs faithful hate Jax for how he and his mates worked Dirk over in that epic 2007 1st round playoff upset versus Golden State. Now that Jax is coming back to the Spurs, it simply ramps up the anti-Spurs hatred. Gotta love it.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you guys talking about S. Jack being one of greatest Spurs, he had 11ppg in 03..?
    Case of quality not quan y.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For anyone wanting some insight on what they're saying here on Mavsland, the talking heads on local Sportstalk radio proclaim even more hatred for the already-hated Spurs. The majority of Mavs faithful hate Jax for how he and his mates worked Dirk over in that epic 2007 1st round playoff upset versus Golden State. Now that Jax is coming back to the Spurs, it simply ramps up the anti-Spurs hatred. Gotta love it.
    I dont know why...but Dallas isnt scaring anyone this year..i mean they are the champs but the way they have been losing..Spurs would have to be heavily favored going against them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Speaking of, that would be boss if he made his debut against the Mavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Old Jack city — why it works
    Posted on 03/15/2012 by Buck Harvey
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckhar...-why-it-works/

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Not sure how productive this trade was. They give up a cripple but still didn't address any needs like a backup pg and/or big man. On top of that, they gave up a 1st round draft pick in a strong upcoming draft.

This is S-Jax at 33, not 20.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, that sound you heard down there was the collective assholes of the Mavericks puckering up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but then what's the point if you are just turning around and paying that cash to GS?
    You only pay GS the cash for TJ's contract. Not the contract + luxury tax.

So lets say hes scheduled to make 1M with another 1M in luxury tax afterwards. By trading him you essentially cut out 2M in expenses. But the team receiving him is under the cap, so they only owe the 1M in salary and $0 in luxury tax. So you send the receiving team 1M and walk away. They break even and get the player for free (1M salary owed, but received 1M cash) and the sending team doesn't have to pay the extra 1M in luxury tax.

The only person that loses in that scenario is the league office collecting the luxury tax.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Followill and Corby in particular HATE the Spurs...

Bottom...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a bad feeling about this trade...

I don't understand why so many of you, even some of the "best" posters on ST are blinded by the memory of "2003 SJax".
    The guy is 34, is a volume scorer, and at that time Manu and Tony took a lot less shot/game...

Do you see him becoming a role player and being able, at 34 years old, to play an elite D?

I hope I'll be surprised/wrong, but I really think it's a desperate move to get rid of RJ's player option, since their salaries match and a "gift" to the SA fans who hated RJ and were nostalgic of SJax...

+ WE NEED A BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much what we've covered here but good take by Buck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If nothing else, it's just nice to know you have a guy out there who isn't a pussy, frightened by the opponent or the moment. The Spurs have lacked a certain level of toughness, and it can be difficult to quantify the impact certain players have with their toughness. Certain things just don't show up in the box score. The contributions of Avery Johnson, Mario Elie and Malik Rose would hardly appear invaluable by simply reading box scores. I guess sometimes it's just nice to know you have a teammate who wouldn't think twice about charging into the stands to cover your back.

Kori said it best when she said RJ just didn't fit in. It was obvious how awkward it was at times. Not only did RJ not bring toughness or grit, he also managed to disrupt team chemistry. It didn't take long for him to realize that he had completely disappointed everyone in the front office and on the roster. He was supposed to join the team as part of the "Big 4", but probably felt like a massive piece of for getting paid Parker/Manu money while being a complete waste of space who didn't fit in and didn't know his role. His mindset changed from wanting to be a key contributor, to not wanting to be in the front of everyone's mind as a major disappointment. RJ's only goal then was to blend in. If he could blend in and be unremarkable, then maybe he could actually finish his career without being moved again. It didn't take long for Milwaukee to realize they had made a mistake, and the Spurs quickly found out why Milwaukee was willing to part with him for scraps. RJ understood all of that. He's never really fit in, even going back to NJ. And I doubt he'll ever really fit in, but he needs to go somewhere he's liked and expectations are low. GS could very well be that place.

As far as Jackson is concerned, he won't be asked to carry the offense and I doubt the Spurs expect him to be a consistent defensive stopper. All he has to do is want to compete. That alone will be a huge upgrade over the past 2 1/2 seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a bad feeling about this trade...

I don't understand why so many of you, even some of the "best" posters on ST are blinded by the memory of "2003 SJax".
    The guy is 34, is a volume scorer, and at that time Manu and Tony took a lot less shot/game...

Do you see him becoming a role player and being able, at 34 years old, to play an elite D?

I hope I'll be surprised/wrong, but I really think it's a desperate move to get rid of RJ's player option, since their salaries match and a "gift" to the SA fans who hated RJ and were nostalgic of SJax...

+ WE NEED A BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look at it this way: Even if Jax never plays, are the Spurs really that worse off?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying the Spurs need a big or a point guard misses the fact that RJ wasn't movable in any trade other than this one. It's not like the Spurs were offered a variety of players and decided to take SJax. This was literally their only opportunity to move RJ.

So it comes down to whether you want RJ and a late first rounder or you want SJax, $12 million and a soon to be expiring contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Count me among those who approve this trade.

I hope R.C. doesn't celebrate too much tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu Ginobili ‏ @manuginobili

The good news is that is great to have SJackson back with us! Great memories from my rookie season. Welcome back Jack!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how productive this trade was. They give up a cripple but still didn't address any needs like a backup pg and/or big man. On top of that, they gave up a 1st round draft pick in a strong upcoming draft.

This is S-Jax at 33, not 20.
    not sure, if the Spurs see the backup PG as such a big problem: Manu can handle it the few minutes TP is off the court and if one of them goes down, our season is over anyway. Neal did well most games and Joseph at least can handle some garbage time.

not sure, if the Spurs see the big man as a problem either: With all 4 Big Man healthy we seem to be fine...Bonner stretching, Blair banging, Splitter and Timmy ballin' and then there is the love of going small (I hate it too) with Leonard or now maybe Jax.

...I think, they will take a look at some buyouts, but after all without signing one, they didnt allready play this season.

my best hope is Diaw because of him beeing friends with Tony, but we shouldnt get our hopes up just hours after the Spurs did their biggest in season move since....since....???

Thread Information