Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the 2011-3 processors lacks the single thread speeds that mine has. It will operate 200+ part craft is KSP slower than my system, with my puny i7-4790, because the physics engine only operates in one core at a time.
    They're both Haswell cpus and RG is overclocking his system I believe, so he should have more single core performance as long as he's at 4.0 GHz or higher (the dual core turbo of a 4790). No way I would recommend a 5820k to be run at stock.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I will be getting the system that baseline bum recommended.
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...29#post8192329

I recognize someone who knows their when I see it. Even if he might be wrong about one aspect or another, his odds of being more right than I could ever possibly be on my own without spending a huge amount of time reading is pretty close to approaching 1:1

The hexacore will be useful down the road as more programmers learn how to use it, from what I understand. I think baseline has a very good point about that.

Who knows... maybe I will throw some moeny at KSP and lobby for them to use more than one core... Then where will your single core processor be, huh?

(take that as very gentle ribbing. I am not at all serious about that, hard to get across stuff like that in dead text)
    The DDR4 memory is going to be better than a system with lesser memory, and yes, six/twelve cores will be a huge improvement for applications that make use of multi core.

If I continue to like the game, and they make it multicore friendly, I will consider the 2011 for my next computer. As it stands, I believe my only system asset that the upcoming V1.1 of the game will utilize is my 32 GB of memory. Right now, the game is still 32 bit, so it starts having problems on large builds past 2,000 parts. V 1.1 is suppose to be a 64 bit application rather than 32 bit.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    They're both Haswell cpus and RG is overclocking his system I believe, so he should have more single core performance as long as he's at 4.0 GHz or higher (the dual core turbo of a 4790). No way I would recommend a 5820k to be run at stock.
    Yep.

Why run at stock, when it can be overclocked a little, so easily.

I see my Dell XPS 8700 lasting a good long time as it is. Unless they make a better CPU the the i7-4790K for the socket, the only upgrades I am considering is more HD's and a better graphics card. I don't see the point of spending over $300 for the "K" version of my CPU, unless I already have a buyer for my current CPU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.

Why run at stock, when it can be overclocked a little, so easily.

I see my Dell XPS 8700 lasting a good long time as it is. Unless they make a better CPU the the i7-4790K for the socket, the only upgrades I am considering is more HD's and a better graphics card. I don't see the point of spending over $300 for the "K" version of my CPU, unless I already have a buyer for my current CPU.
    Yeah, no point in upgrading when a 4790 is already an extremely strong cpu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will be getting the system that baseline bum recommended.
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...29#post8192329

I recognize someone who knows their when I see it. Even if he might be wrong about one aspect or another, his odds of being more right than I could ever possibly be on my own without spending a huge amount of time reading is pretty close to approaching 1:1

The hexacore will be useful down the road as more programmers learn how to use it, from what I understand. I think baseline has a very good point about that.

Who knows... maybe I will throw some moeny at KSP and lobby for them to use more than one core... Then where will your single core processor be, huh?

(take that as very gentle ribbing. I am not at all serious about that, hard to get across stuff like that in dead text)
    I do have to caution one thing: it's starting to look like the new 14 nm and 16 nm gpus might be releasing at the end of May. And while I think the R9 390 is the best gpu out there right now in the ~$300 price range, in two months AMD might have something that beats it pretty soundly for $300-$400 in Polaris 11, and Nvidia with GP104. These kind of shrinks have corresponded to pretty serious gains in performance in the past. For instance, Nvidia's shrink from 40 nm to 28 nm in the Kepler series gave about a 50% performance increase at launch between the GTX 780 and the GTX 580 when you compare big die to big die in each generation, and GTX 780 was the most cut down version of the big die for Kepler (28 nm) while GTX 580 was the full die for Fermi (40 nm). If you compare full die to full die (GTX 780 Ti vs GTX 580) you're looking at about an 80% difference. Whether it's worth waiting two months (or longer if the leaks are BS) is another question though. If you're only playing KSP and Minecraft you can probably just pop in your old GPU as long as it's PCIE. But then who wants to build a badass system and not be able to show it off when it's new?

Games I highly recommend getting are:
    1. Bioshock Infinite -- A first person game set in an alternate history of the early 1900s involving racism, religious cults, and a strange interpretation of a field of science (I don't want to give away any more details)

2. The Witcher 3 -- An outstanding 3rd person action RPG with killer lighting effects to really show off the power of that R9 390. Either this game or Arma III are probably the best looking games on PC, though Arma III runs like crap because of very poor cpu optimization.

3. Fallout New Vegas -- This won't stress your computer at all since it's a game from 2010 using 2008 level graphics, but the only modern game with a better storyline I have played is Bioshock Infinite. They really nail the setting of Las Vegas and the surrounding desert. All the DLC in this game are must have too, with the exception of Dead Money, which I hated. But the Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, and Lonesome Road DLC are all outstanding.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-24-2016 at 12:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4. Dying Light -- You're basically in a zombie B-movie, with cheezy music and cool film grain effects in this really well laid out city named Harran. This game is almost as addicting as Minecraft.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-24-2016 at 12:41 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of those four games I listed Witcher 3 is by far the most impressive graphically, it will push any gpu short of say a Fury X or 980 Ti to its limits even at 1080p. You'll have to use a mix of high and ultra settings to get a mostly 60 fps experience. Dying Light is also pretty nice graphically but should be no sweat whatsoever for a 5820k and an R9 390, you should get 60 fps locked with everything turned up all the way. Bioshock Infinite is three years old and while very impressive graphically, it's also really well optimized and your 5820k + 390 would laugh at it. Then Fallout New Vegas is not at all hard to run graphically. Even the integrated graphics on consumer level i5 and i7 can run it well (though note the enthusiast i7 like you'll need to get with an X99 board don't have integrated graphics, as those chips are targeted at high end gaming with the assumption you're buying a separate gpu).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crap, how could I forget Skyrim among must plays?

It's easily the best RPG I have ever played. Even better, you can use fan made mods to make it among the best looking games out there even though it's five years old. DJR210 can probably point you in the right direction for modding Skyrim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skyrim is a masterpiece IMO.. It's far from perfect, has a ton of game breaking glitches that have ruined my characters several times, but the overall product with all the modding options puts it in my top 3 PC games for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't you one of those claw grip weirdos tbh?
    Hybrid. I used to use a DA for years which is more of a palm, but I use an m65 now which is sort of both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skyrim is a masterpiece IMO.. It's far from perfect, has a ton of game breaking glitches that have ruined my characters several times, but the overall product with all the modding options puts it in my top 3 PC games for sure.
    I haven't played much Skyrim on PC since I must have played 250+ hours of it on XBox 360, but don't they have fan made mods that fix the stability? Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are horribly buggy and stutter badly without the unofficial patches, but they're pretty clean once patched. I had one game-breaking bug in New Vegas but thankfully you can just press ~ to access the developers console to either start an event or bypass it (the bug I had was the president not walking out to give a speech in New Vegas).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't played much Skyrim on PC since I must have played 250+ hours of it on XBox 360, but don't they have fan made mods that fix the stability? Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are horribly buggy and stutter badly without the unofficial patches, but they're pretty clean once patched. I had one game-breaking bug in New Vegas but thankfully you can just press ~ to access the developers console to either start an event or bypass it (the bug I had was the president not walking out to give a speech in New Vegas).
    Yeah the have several fan patches that fix a ton of .. I never used it em, I just keep a ton of recent save files because you can usually avoid the glitch after you look it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've got a few god tier options:

Razer Deathadder Chroma
    Logitech G502 or 303
    Mionix Naos 7200
    Steelseries sensei
    Corsair M45
    terrible. will be broken or ing up in a year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the have several fan patches that fix a ton of .. I never used it em, I just keep a ton of recent save files because you can usually avoid the glitch after you look it up.
    Damn, Fallout 4 is the only Bethesda game I have been able to play without fan made mods, and even then I have to do some hacks like play borderless window. If I play true fullscreen the game has horrible microstutter. I guess the vsync isn't done properly, lots of jumping around between 59 and 61 fps. While borderless window gives me a silky smooth 60 fps. The previous two Fallouts have horrible microstutter too supposedly traced to a single API call that is fixed in the unofficial patches by using a better timer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey whats a good gaming mouse?
    -wireless?
    -non wireless?

mechanical keyboard?
    According to the I've read, mouse sensor snobs typically agree that the Logitech G502 has the best sensor available. As for wireless, I use the Logitech G700s, and it crushes any of the stigmas people had against wireless mice. Plus, it has 11 extra buttons to map to.

If I'm buying a keyboard today, I'd probably go with a Corsair K series RGB model.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Razer is so ing expensive I have never even considered it. That and how crappy it looks, it makes me think Alienware for peripherals. I'll spend money on the gpu and cpu, but no way I'm dropping $100 on a mouse. Though I did drop $40 on my G602, which pissed me off; the cheaper wireless mice all have an offset sensor on the left side that makes FPS impossible using them, since moving left/right with a palm grip registers as diagonal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the I've read, mouse sensor snobs typically agree that the Logitech G502 has the best sensor available. As for wireless, I use the Logitech G700s, and it crushes any of the stigmas people had against wireless mice. Plus, it has 11 extra buttons to map to.

If I'm buying a keyboard today, I'd probably go with a Corsair K series RGB model.
    I thought the compe ive gamer snobs all loved the G402. I have never tried the G700s, and didn't consider it since Best Buy didn't carry it, but wireless is a must for me. I can't buy a mouse online, I returned like 3 different ones to Walmart and Best Buy a few months ago before finally giving in to having to spend extra on a gaming mouse (the G602). At least they had it on sale for $40 instead of $60 when I got it though. I ing hate the extra buttons on gamer mice, I wish I could pull them all out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Razer is so ing expensive I have never even considered it. That and how crappy it looks, it makes me think Alienware for peripherals. I'll spend money on the gpu and cpu, but no way I'm dropping $100 on a mouse. Though I did drop $40 on my G602, which pissed me off; the cheaper wireless mice all have an offset sensor on the left side that makes FPS impossible using them, since moving left/right with a palm grip registers as diagonal.
    They spend so much on their ing packaging they had to cut on QA.. I started off as a big fan of Razer, they seemed to have some good ideas for gamers.. But 4/5 of the Razer products I have bought have either broke altogether or up in some way. Their customer service is trash too, Logitech will replace your peripheral no questions asked because they back their products.

-Razer Death Adder Mouse - Sensor ed up after a year of normal use

-2 Razer Xbox Controllers - both ed up in less than month.. one stopped turning on completely, the other controllers sticks deadzone was ed in 3 weeks rendering it useless for first person shooters

-Razer Black Widow Ultimate - I still use this, but every so often it has a seizure and starts inputting hundreds of keystrokes until I disconnect the . Razer wouldn't help without the receipt whereas Logitech would have, probably not even asking you to send back the ed up keyboard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RandomGuy man, if you seriously just play Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program with such a killer gaming system.

It'd be like buying a Macbook Pro for Facebook or a Xeon E5-2699v3 for granny to check her email.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the compe ive gamer snobs all loved the G402. I have never tried the G700s, and didn't consider it since Best Buy didn't carry it, but wireless is a must for me. I can't buy a mouse online, I returned like 3 different ones to Walmart and Best Buy a few months ago before finally giving in to having to spend extra on a gaming mouse (the G602). At least they had it on sale for $40 instead of $60 when I got it though. I ing hate the extra buttons on gamer mice, I wish I could pull them all out.
    Nah, I've seen this topic come up many times on some of the gaming forums and I've seen a ton of people agree you cant go wrong with the G502 Proteus.. The FPS sensor snobs expected the sensor to suck because it was made by Logitech, but they all loved it after it came out.

As for wireless mice, you would love the G700s.. Great mouse IMO.. I just don't like the cheesy designs on it, I wish it was flat black. The extra button placement on this mouse is perfect too IMO.. so many games I play are so much more convenient with all the extra mappings.. Arma 3 would be near impossible without this mouse tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, I've seen this topic come up many times on some of the gaming forums and I've seen a ton of people agree you cant go wrong with the G502 Proteus.. The FPS sensor snobs expected the sensor to suck because it was made by Logitech, but they all loved it after it came out.

As for wireless mice, you would love the G700s.. Great mouse IMO.. I just don't like the cheesy designs on it, I wish it was flat black. The extra button placement on this mouse is perfect too IMO.. so many games I play are so much more convenient with all the extra mappings.. Arma 3 would be near impossible without this mouse tbh
    Speaking of Arma III, I hope DX12 fixes that . Man that game is beautiful but without gsync it's painful to play at 40-50 fps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have my Razer DA from 2008. The only reason I replaced it is because I used it so much that the grip is getting grimy from almost a decade of use.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can get a DA on sale for ~45-50.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of Arma III, I hope DX12 fixes that . Man that game is beautiful but without gsync it's painful to play at 40-50 fps.
    Yeah.. the game is ahead of it's time.. the scope is just too much for current tech

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah.. the game is ahead of it's time.. the scope is just too much for current tech
    I think it's just ty mul hreading.

Thread Information