Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. Although your link only breaks down the numbers in english Football.

But what I meant to say was the average amount of goals scored in a game is not 1-0.
    Yeah, I wasn't implying the average soccer game score is 1-0, just that it's the most common score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's 1 too many

And our go to argument against TicTacTrot is the prevalence of ties, which occur at a 30% rate

But there's running (jogging) around and the game ends in 2 hours, so it's okay.
    You need to brush up on your math.

And also send me my $100.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to brush up on your math.

And also send me my $100.

"But I'm in and out in 2 hours."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"But I'm in and out in 2 hours."
    The 16% 1-0 data you're quoting comes from the chart below. The numbers in the blue box add up to 25%. Be consistent.

And yes, I'm not the type of person who enjoys commercial break after commercial break while barely anything happens in between. I'm a busy man, and don't have 3 hours a day to sit on the couch and watch fat guys stand around.

If you watched every MLB game of a season, and did nothing else with your life but sleep, you would only get 4.6 hours of shuteye a night

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/4/2/208...edule-2011-mlb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 16% 1-0 data you're quoting comes from the chart below. The numbers in the blue box add up to 25%. Be consistent.

And yes, I'm not the type of person who enjoys commercial break after commercial break while barely anything happens in between. I'm a busy man, and don't have 3 hours a day to sit on the couch and watch fat guys stand around.

If you watched every MLB game of a season, and did nothing else with your life but sleep, you would only get 4.6 hours of shuteye a night

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/4/2/208...edule-2011-mlb
    Need to read the article more carefully, my man.

The box graph is for every English soccer game from 1888-2014. I'm talking about modern soccer. And you can see modern soccer results in a draw about 30% of the time. It makes sense earlier games had less draws because they would continue play the next day, or so I've read.

???

How is this a burn of any kind? Most baseball fans watch only their team and maybe a big division match up (Sox-Yanks, etc). Average MLB game length is 3 hours.

Fat Guys
    Debunked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So 16% of all EPL games in history is your talking point for 1-0 final scores, but you want to apply a different standard to draws. Got it.

lol using American college student data as if that is close to representative of anything. Most MLBers don't even go to college, and the world's best footballers certainly don't go to American uni.

I also don't get the lol draw schtick. It's not like there are co-champions of a league or the WC. Plenty of sports have draws:

Boxing
    Hockey
    Non-American Cricket
    Rugby
    NFL until 1974
    AUS rules football
    Japanese beisbol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol using American college student data as if that is close to representative of anything. Most MLBers don't even go to college, and the world's best footballers certainly don't go to American uni.

I also don't get the lol draw schtick. It's not like there are co-champions of a league or the WC. Plenty of sports have draws:

Boxing
    Hockey
    Non-American Cricket
    Rugby
    NFL until 1974
    AUS rules football
    Japanese beisbol
    Not at a 30% rate.

Okay. Let's use Brazilian data:

14% body fat.

Peer reviewed, published study:

I told Hater this. You guys think soccer players are in good shape full stop because they're "thin," but in reality, they simply have no muscle mass and look like anorexia sufferers more often than not.

Here's a "fat" baseball player with an "obese" 28ish BMI.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cherry picking your "data" sources again. I have no idea where that Brazilian "data" comes from, but the US government says EPL players are about 10 +/-2

versus 14 +/- 3 for fatbollers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, what is this, an elite athlete or a 12 year old kid?

vs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cherry picking your "data" sources again. I have no idea where that Brazilian "data" comes from, but the US government says EPL players are about 10 +/-2

versus 14 +/- 3 for fatbollers
    http://www.scielo.mec.pt/scielo.php?...X2014000400011

The fatball name still makes zero sense since 13.8% isn't fat. Try a different shtick more based in reality. Maybe try length of game again. That's always a good one.

But if you want to quibble over BF percentages I guess soccer is fatball compared to basketball:

At the recent 2015 NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, 63 NBA hopefuls completed their anthropometric measurements. The median body fat percentage in the group was 7.44%,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I forgot when we had this discussion a couple years ago, your average fatboller doesn't even qualify as an athlete according to the American Council on Exercise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I forgot when we had this discussion a couple years ago, your average fatboller doesn't even qualify as an athlete according to the American Council on Exercise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This stupid graph again.

I guess NFL lineman aren't athletes. Or wrestlers. Or shotputters. Or boxers. Or fat basketball players like Tony Parker, Kyle Lowry, LMA and Boris Diaw. Or ice hockey players.

The same is true of Olympic ice hockey players, with men having about 13 percent body fat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can tell today's NBA is ... most of the NBA forum is about fatball and football tbh

I wonder who still watches NBA nowadays

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Mid humiliating the tic-tac-toe krew, per par.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can tell today's NBA is ... most of the NBA forum is about fatball and football tbh

I wonder who still watches NBA nowadays
    NBA journalism today is starting to echo and copy the 90s and mid 2000 click sales like bait articles. The game is still awesome. I just think the media has significantly regressed the last three years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA journalism today is starting to echo and copy the 90s and mid 2000 click sales like bait articles. The game is still awesome. I just think the media has significantly regressed the last three years.
    It's pretty bad. And per game design, basketball is broken right now. It's stuck on stupid to award 50% more points for a shot that isn't 50% harder to make.

And you being a fan of tactical diversity, the 3 point line forces a binary strategy of attack the rim or shoot a 3. Literally 75% of the court is "useless." Post-game is all but dead. Midrange game is all but dead.

I understand why coaches and players first saw the 3 point line as a gimmick.

It makes for a fast paced game, though. And I guess that's all that matters in our social media addicted world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty bad. And per game design, basketball is broken right now. It's stuck on stupid to award 50% more points for a shot that isn't 50% harder to make.

And you being a fan of tactical diversity, the 3 point line forces a binary strategy of attack the rim or shoot a 3. Literally 75% of the court is "useless." Post-game is all but dead. Midrange game is all but dead.

I understand why coaches and players first saw the 3 point line as a gimmick.

It makes for a fast paced game, though. And I guess that's all that matters in our social media addicted world.
    You don't watch enough mid-tier and low-tier NBA basketball I guess. There's plenty of teams that play a diversified style of basketball, part of is neccisity obviously. Jazz, Clippers, Spurs, Wizards, Nuggets, etc have diversified ways of playing baskebtall.

Can't magnify the league based on Houston-Cavs and specially the warriors.

Social Media is awesome, but the Explosion of Social Media...particularly post 2013 imo has made it extremely easy for Journalism to base their work on sale click opinion or articles.

So I agree social media does love the fast paced game. It also has destroyed how fans in general evaluate teams and Players. Everyone nowadys have silly confirmation bias it seems.

No one wants to actually learn and watch basketball..lebron this lebron that etc. Westbrook this whatever..curry whatever.

Its toxic. The game is fantastic, bit wouldn't surprise me if the NBA start losing Hardcore fans as the NBA continues to target mainstream.

Did you know fans now have a vote on DPOY, MVP etc.

Its becoming a popularity contest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't watch enough mid-tier and low-tier NBA basketball I guess. There's plenty of teams that play a diversified style of basketball, part of is neccisity obviously. Jazz, Clippers, Spurs, Wizards, Nuggets, etc have diversified ways of playing baskebtall.

Can't magnify the league based on Houston-Cavs and specially the warriors.

Social Media is awesome, but the Explosion of Social Media...particularly post 2013 imo has made it extremely easy for Journalism to base their work on sale click opinion or articles.

So I agree social media does love the fast paced game. It also has destroyed how fans in general evaluate teams and Players. Everyone nowadys have silly confirmation bias it seems.

No one wants to actually learn and watch basketball..lebron this lebron that etc. Westbrook this whatever..curry whatever.

Its toxic. The game is fantastic, bit wouldn't surprise me if the NBA start losing Hardcore fans as the NBA continues to target mainstream.

Did you know fans now have a vote on DPOY, MVP etc.

Its becoming a popularity contest.
    They have no chance of winning anything aside from maybe the Spurs, who are in my mind a longshot without a lucky injury break to the Warriors.

I've talked about this before in the Kawhi-Antiquated thread. It's a nigh-impossible task for a mid-range or post-centric offensive player or team to overcome the efficiency battle against a "Moreyball" style. The average shooting percentage from 4-22 feet is around 43%.

Now we're going to get a generation of NBA players who don't develop an in between game. And the most skillful offensive play has historically taken place in the "in between." (Post-ups, dribble-posts, finding cutters from doubles off the post etc). Now we just get pick-and-roll spam. Same thing kind of happened with the NFL following the rule changes. Run game is a worse option the majority of the time.

NBA is smart to pursue casuals. It's always been kind of a casual fan league. The NBA Finals ratings dropped in half following Jordan's retirement. Most NBA "fans" just care about individual players and highlights. I really, really want to see a Spurs vs. Bucks finals or something. But likely, gonna be Steph and Bron again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Argument closer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Argument closer.
    So 80% of NFL players aren't athletes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey gots, Povertyball and Fatball are equally ing ty. /thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So 80% of NFL players aren't athletes?

To tell you the truth, I didn't even read the graph. I just saw a lot of folks quoting it and pulling a 140, so I decidade to join the party.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Hey gots, Povertyball and Fatball are equally ing ty. /thread
    Why did you list the same "sport" twice?

Thread Information